Pages: 1 ... 601 602 603 [604] 605 606 607 ... 880   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 1996176 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #9045 on: Friday, January 10, 2020, 15:20:43 »

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-51062770

I know he won't get elected, but as an outsider looking in, this one article pretty much sums up the problem Labour have right now.  While I don;t doubt a decent argument could be had on the Monarchy and it's position in the UK, as well as funding, it's hardly something right at the forefront of British politics.  It merely plays to a very left sided audience around ideology.  The bit right at the bottom also makes we smile, that somehow the way Labour got into power in the 90's was the reason they have trouble now.  I have no doubt that the political party carries some baggage from Blair's Iraq stupidity, but if they didn't learn anything from that period about being able to do more in power by appealing to the masses than they can achieve by pushing marginal policies, then they deserve to wither.  Fast becoming the same party I remember from the early 80's.  Lots of arm waving, no doubt some very worthy causes being championed, but thinking the 70% who didn't vote for them are wrong, rather than wondering what they can do to appeal to them.

The Tories don't suffer this offer, they play much more on fear on the far right, so they only have to mop up a few in the middle or left with odd policy pander.  They also don;t tend to have many parties competing with them on their own ground.  That places even more emphasis on Labour or Lib Dems to put together a decent party.

The only thing wrong with that piece is that Buckland appears on it.... quite why as it's entitled Labour Leadership, I don't know  Wink

FWIW, I think with the inevitable handing over of the reigns (Nev tribute) soon, I think a goodtime to hold a debate about our constitution.   I think the whole Johnson unlawful proroguing of Parliament saga, shows we need a head of state with legal powers beyond the ceremonial
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #9046 on: Friday, January 10, 2020, 17:08:48 »

The bit right at the bottom also makes we smile, that somehow the way Labour got into power in the 90's was the reason they have trouble now.  I have no doubt that the political party carries some baggage from Blair's Iraq stupidity
There's more baggage than just Iraq. It was under Blair that Labour got the reputation as no longer being a party of the regions or the working class but a London-centric elite, a reputation they've struggled to shed since. Anecdotally, speaking to friends and relatives back Ooop North, they haven't felt Labour really cared about the problems of Northern constituencies or had anything relevant to say to them for 20 years or more. Blair won elections but cemented the impression that Labour took it's heartlands for granted by doing little or fuck all for them. Labour heartlands voting Leave in 2016 and Tory in 2019 were a representation of that feeling that "no-one gives a fuck about us" and wanting to kick over the whole applecart.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #9047 on: Friday, January 10, 2020, 17:15:31 »

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-51062770

I know he won't get elected, but as an outsider looking in, this one article pretty much sums up the problem Labour have right now.  While I don;t doubt a decent argument could be had on the Monarchy and it's position in the UK, as well as funding, it's hardly something right at the forefront of British politics.  It merely plays to a very left sided audience around ideology. 

Indeed, but then again no one gave a gnats arse about the EU until fairly recently when right wing politicians and their mates in the media started talking about it, these things can snowball given the right conditions
Labour heartlands voting Leave in 2016 and Tory in 2019 were a representation of that feeling that "no-one gives a fuck about us" and wanting to kick over the whole applecart.

Sadly they are going to learn the real definition of "no-one gives a fuck about us" over the next 5-10 years. There is a hell of a lot of window dressing re the north going on at the moment (One example being them suddenly being interested and 'doing something' about the northern debacle), but there is sod all substance behind any of it.

pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #9048 on: Friday, January 10, 2020, 17:23:15 »

Sadly they are going to learn the real definition of "no-one gives a fuck about us" over the next 5-10 years. There is a hell of a lot of window dressing re the north going on at the moment (One example being them suddenly being interested and 'doing something' about the northern debacle), but there is sod all substance behind any of it.
But then there wasn't under Labour either. Which is the point my friends and rellies made. Talking to friends in former mining areas, people there were even more disillusioned, they felt they'd been sacrificed by Thatcher to her "break the unions" crusade and had whole communities destroyed, looked to a Labour govt to finally get them back on their feet and they were just ignored and abandoned in favour of the shiny new voters in the Southeast. After all, they were in "pig in a red rosette" territory, so why bother? Ironically, if Johnson does the same in reverse (i.e. neglects his heartlands and works hard to retain the "new voters"), they may finally get some attention
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #9049 on: Monday, January 13, 2020, 13:55:00 »

And then there were five. I’m surprised none of you labour supporters have put up a poll of sorts for everyone to vote for.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #9050 on: Monday, January 13, 2020, 16:21:05 »

Different I s'pose....

https://www.buzzfeed.com/alexwickham/jamie-wallis-co-owned-sugar-daddy-website
Legends-Lounge

Ignore
« Reply #9051 on: Monday, January 13, 2020, 19:00:12 »

Was it an illegal operation?
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #9052 on: Wednesday, January 15, 2020, 11:03:10 »

So Hancock's now planning on scrapping waiting targets for the NHS. This isn't a government that likes to be held accountable is it?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #9053 on: Wednesday, January 15, 2020, 11:09:47 »

So Hancock's now planning on scrapping waiting targets for the NHS. This isn't a government that likes to be held accountable is it?

This why I would like to see a review of our constitution and the role of the monarchy in it.  Effectively there is no accountability in the system.... no checks and balances.  Atm we have an elected dictatorship.... it isn't healthy.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #9054 on: Wednesday, January 15, 2020, 11:13:31 »

This why I would like to see a review of our constitution and the role of the monarchy in it.
That's being conducted on the sofas of breakfast time TV and continued on twitter.
Flashheart

« Reply #9055 on: Wednesday, January 15, 2020, 11:15:48 »

Don't worry. I'm sure the press will hold them to account.
Legends-Lounge

Ignore
« Reply #9056 on: Wednesday, January 15, 2020, 11:18:27 »

I think you’ll find if I caught the news article correctly about 10 minutes or so ago they are thinking about getting doctors to set their own waiting time targets.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #9057 on: Wednesday, January 15, 2020, 11:20:12 »

I think you’ll find if I caught the news article correctly about 10 minutes or so ago they are thinking about getting doctors to set their own waiting time targets.
Not doctors, NHS managers. Who will have the option to set them (or not). It's called marking your own homework. When's the Russia Report being released?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #9058 on: Wednesday, January 15, 2020, 11:21:25 »

That's being conducted on the sofas of breakfast time TV and continued on twitter.

That's as maybe... but historically it was a case of a constitution run by gentleman's agreement, with a vague assumption the head of state could in certain circumstances act for the benefit of their subjects.  Recent events have binned this orf.
Legends-Lounge

Ignore
« Reply #9059 on: Wednesday, January 15, 2020, 11:25:56 »

Not doctors, NHS managers. Who will have the option to set them (or not). It's called marking your own homework. When's the Russia Report being released?

Firstly you’ll need to ask the government the question re. The Russians. Though is suspect you won’t be happy with the result either way so I don’t know why it vexes you so much. Secondly I welcome the target initiative in so much as each PCT has its own resources which are different from the others. If they do go down that road only time will tell whether it works or not. You clearly have issues either way with what is currently happening. Thirdly who ar you throwing you weight behind in the labour leadership race?
Pages: 1 ... 601 602 603 [604] 605 606 607 ... 880   Go Up
Print
Jump to: