Pages: 1 ... 600 601 602 [603] 604 605 606 ... 880   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 1995707 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #9030 on: Wednesday, January 8, 2020, 11:11:37 »

I don't have a dog in the fight but purely in terms of who I think the electorate *might* got for and also with the ability to make Johnson look a dick at PMQ's (if he ever does that again, now not been seen for 12 days and counting)

Johnson looks to have delegated the role of PM to Cummings.... 
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #9031 on: Wednesday, January 8, 2020, 11:30:24 »

That ship sailed some years ago, started when the Barclay brothers took over and has only gathered pace since. The Telegraph has read like the Express in terms of screaming bile all last year and intensified as they swung behind Johnson's campaign to unseat May and then install him as leader. A shame as it used to be a decent paper.

Hardly surprising from Pearson who is a prime Tory rent a gob (she makes Oakeshott actually appear bright) and appears to be some manner of Fortnum and Mason Hatey Cockpins. She most recently came to the fore by reporting June Whitfields death, 12 months after it happened.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #9032 on: Wednesday, January 8, 2020, 11:43:07 »

Johnson looks to have delegated the role of PM to Cummings.... 
That was always going to be the case. Johnson is hugely lazy, he wants the kudos and adulation of being PM and the public face of "Getting Brexit Done" (because of course it will all be over on Jan 31st and won't in any way drag on for at least a decade) but he doesn't have the appetite to actually run anything. Whereas Cummings is desperate to wreak his revenge on a civil service that rejected him when he was in his 20s. We're seeing this already with Johnson not being bothered to stir from his holidays to deal with the start of the Iran crisis. We're also seeing the start of a more presidential style of govt by diktat with the outright contempt Johnson clearly holds parliament in, refusing even to make a statement on Iran to the Commons.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #9033 on: Wednesday, January 8, 2020, 11:46:59 »

And by the way, where's that Russia Report that Johnson suppressed before the election but promised would be published after? Still too embarrassing to release for the man who's taken millions from the mafiocracy?
Flashheart

« Reply #9034 on: Wednesday, January 8, 2020, 11:50:09 »

And the Arcuri investigation. That's gone quiet.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #9035 on: Wednesday, January 8, 2020, 12:08:21 »

And by the way, where's that Russia Report that Johnson suppressed before the election but promised would be published after? Still too embarrassing to release for the man who's taken millions from the mafiocracy?

I believe (I had a quick google just after the election as I wondered same) that it cannot now be published until the relevant parliamentary committee is reformed and signs it off, a process which could take a fair few months apparently.

Handy dat!
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #9036 on: Wednesday, January 8, 2020, 12:14:05 »

I believe (I had a quick google just after the election as I wondered same) that it cannot now be published until the relevant parliamentary committee is reformed and signs it off, a process which could take a fair few months apparently.
Not least because the government are deliberately dragging their feet on setting a date for elections for chairs of the parliamentary committees. Never been a big fan of scrutiny Johnson, all that nasty accountable democratic stuff is soooooo inconvenient when you've got skeletons to hide
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #9037 on: Wednesday, January 8, 2020, 12:40:34 »

Not least because the government are deliberately dragging their feet on setting a date for elections for chairs of the parliamentary committees. Never been a big fan of scrutiny Johnson, all that nasty accountable democratic stuff is soooooo inconvenient when you've got skeletons to hide

TBF, Johnson’s been extremely good at hiding his skeleton.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #9038 on: Wednesday, January 8, 2020, 17:06:24 »

[subtext] The right kind of immigrant. [/subtext]
The EU free movement reluctance emanated from the intolerance  of Farage & his disciples to endure hearing foreign languages being spoken on the train.

Not sure however that some of the extraordinary art produced by Australia's native Aboriginals would ever have been sufficient to secure them much of a welcome in parts of Brexitshire, however fluent their English.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, January 8, 2020, 17:08:41 by RedRag » Logged
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #9039 on: Thursday, January 9, 2020, 12:16:04 »

Yesterday 348 MPs defeated an amendment to the Brexit bill that "would have protected the right for unaccompanied child refugees to be reunited with their families after Brexit". What kind of human being thinks this is an acceptable way for Britain to behave toward unprotected desperate children?

https://twitter.com/HouseofCommons/status/1214927927650983936
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #9040 on: Thursday, January 9, 2020, 14:36:18 »

The same kind of human who also votes against a pledge to continue the Erasmus scheme depriving kids of what we all had the right to enjoy before.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #9041 on: Thursday, January 9, 2020, 14:53:41 »

The same kind of human who also votes against a pledge to continue the Erasmus scheme depriving kids of what we all had the right to enjoy before.

England has just elected a right wing government, so they'll do right wing things.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #9042 on: Thursday, January 9, 2020, 16:32:33 »

https://www.pressgazette.co.uk/john-humphrys-joins-daily-mail-as-weekly-columnist-after-leaving-bbc/

BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #9043 on: Thursday, January 9, 2020, 19:46:57 »

Posted this elsewhere;

'Hmmm hate to be dubious (but I will be anyway).

All the TV media focusing on Prince Harry & Meghan deciding to take a step back from public duties...just as Parliament passes a bill, whereby it removes the UK's ongoing provision and commitment to reunite children with family members in the UK, from the withdrawal bill.

Can't quite think of the word but 'smokescreen' would be apt. What news should you really be seeing because in my opinion, we should always be providing a provision to all children with family in the UK and certainly not removing it.

But here we are. This is the new and prosperous "Great Britain" of which we're faced with. I'm sure there will be some bizarrely, who will be thrilled with this news.'

It's the Graun but read here if you wish to learn more;

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jan/08/mps-vote-to-drop-child-refugee-protections-from-brexit-bill

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #9044 on: Friday, January 10, 2020, 14:37:19 »

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-51062770

I know he won't get elected, but as an outsider looking in, this one article pretty much sums up the problem Labour have right now.  While I don;t doubt a decent argument could be had on the Monarchy and it's position in the UK, as well as funding, it's hardly something right at the forefront of British politics.  It merely plays to a very left sided audience around ideology.  The bit right at the bottom also makes we smile, that somehow the way Labour got into power in the 90's was the reason they have trouble now.  I have no doubt that the political party carries some baggage from Blair's Iraq stupidity, but if they didn't learn anything from that period about being able to do more in power by appealing to the masses than they can achieve by pushing marginal policies, then they deserve to wither.  Fast becoming the same party I remember from the early 80's.  Lots of arm waving, no doubt some very worthy causes being championed, but thinking the 70% who didn't vote for them are wrong, rather than wondering what they can do to appeal to them.

The Tories don't suffer this offer, they play much more on fear on the far right, so they only have to mop up a few in the middle or left with odd policy pander.  They also don;t tend to have many parties competing with them on their own ground.  That places even more emphasis on Labour or Lib Dems to put together a decent party.
Pages: 1 ... 600 601 602 [603] 604 605 606 ... 880   Go Up
Print
Jump to: