Pages: 1 ... 545 546 547 [548] 549 550 551 ... 881   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 2016495 times)

Ignore
« Reply #8205 on: Tuesday, November 26, 2019, 14:34:12 »

It's all about Israel. Not about anti semitism really. It's how it started and how it's developed. People have just ran with it as it's got the attention they wanted from it.  It's because Israel supporters know that a Labour government will be more sympathetic to the plight of Palestinian's. The chief rabbi is a prime example of this.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #8206 on: Tuesday, November 26, 2019, 14:57:18 »

It's all about Israel. Not about anti semitism really. It's how it started and how it's developed. People have just ran with it as it's got the attention they wanted from it.  It's because Israel supporters know that a Labour government will be more sympathetic to the plight of Palestinian's. The chief rabbi is a prime example of this.

Partisan politicking, in other words. Spiritual leader my arse. He should be shamed out of his job.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
REDBUCK

« Reply #8207 on: Tuesday, November 26, 2019, 15:34:41 »

I thought one of the main gripes was that there doesn't seem to be much of an investigation or that Labour seem to take an age to resolve the complaints and take whatever action might be needed.

The bloke above was at least suspended as a start

Flashheart

« Reply #8208 on: Tuesday, November 26, 2019, 15:40:39 »

I thought one of the main gripes was that there doesn't seem to be much of an investigation or that Labour seem to take an age to resolve the complaints and take whatever action might be needed.

Or so we are told.

I've seen the claims, but not a shred of evidence supporting those claims.

ron dodgers

shaddap your face

Ignore
« Reply #8209 on: Tuesday, November 26, 2019, 15:45:41 »

he's doing his job , I suspect the Pope would do the same, if in the same position.
 How important is the jewish vote, 300k voters spread around mostly London and Hertfordshire and Greater Manchester. Tend to vote conservative but difficult to nail it down, regionally. Probably won't make a lot of difference, blue will stay blue and maybe win a few red constituencies
REDBUCK

« Reply #8210 on: Tuesday, November 26, 2019, 15:52:49 »

Or so we are told.

I've seen the claims, but not a shred of evidence supporting those claims.

So you're convinced that senior members of the Jewish community as well as some long standing Labour MP's have no cause for complaint what so ever

Flashheart

« Reply #8211 on: Tuesday, November 26, 2019, 16:03:43 »

So you're convinced that senior members of the Jewish community as well as some long standing Labour MP's have no cause for complaint what so ever

How on earth did you make the leap to that from my comment?

1) I was responding to the claim that Labour doesn't act quick enough - not on the 'problem' overall.
2) Not being convinced of something does not mean one is convinced the other way.

I suspect there is some antisemitism in the Labour party. It is inevitable for any organisation of that size. If you follow the discussion you will see that some are disagreeing with the media making it out to be a bigger issue than it is. That does not equate to 'no cause for complaint whatsoever'.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #8212 on: Tuesday, November 26, 2019, 16:34:30 »

Lots of people conflate anti-Semite with anti-Zionist / anti-Likud / anti-Israel. Many of them do so out of ignorance.

The Chief Rabbi, not so much.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
REDBUCK

« Reply #8213 on: Tuesday, November 26, 2019, 16:58:44 »

How on earth did you make the leap to that from my comment?

1) I was responding to the claim that Labour doesn't act quick enough - not on the 'problem' overall.
2) Not being convinced of something does not mean one is convinced the other way.

I suspect there is some antisemitism in the Labour party. It is inevitable for any organisation of that size. If you follow the discussion you will see that some are disagreeing with the media making it out to be a bigger issue than it is. That does not equate to 'no cause for complaint whatsoever'.

"I suspect there is some antisemitism in the Labour party" - If that's the case however small it's a problem and it's seems to have been for those involved for over three years.

"It is inevitable for any organisation of that size" - shouldn't be and those directly affected by it certainly don't accept that it is.

Even if the BBC are over egging the issue as you suggest, Labour need to hurry up and sort it.

Flashheart

« Reply #8214 on: Tuesday, November 26, 2019, 17:19:06 »

"I suspect there is some antisemitism in the Labour party" - If that's the case however small it's a problem and it's seems to have been for those involved for over three years.

I didn't say otherwise

"It is inevitable for any organisation of that size" - shouldn't be and those directly affected by it certainly don't accept that it is.

I didn't say otherwise.

You seem to be insistent on trying to strawman me and/or read into things that are not there. I think I'll just leave you to it.

pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #8215 on: Tuesday, November 26, 2019, 18:01:08 »

Even if the BBC are over egging the issue as you suggest, Labour need to hurry up and sort it.
I agree with you. I take it you're happy for the same comments to apply to the Tories and Islamophobia and that you're every bit as appalled at Johnson's frequent racist comments and his kicking the promised enquiry into the long grass?
Flashheart

« Reply #8216 on: Tuesday, November 26, 2019, 20:54:20 »

This one's not a complaint about bias or anything. It's from a Daily Mail editor so it's to be expected.

I actually find it quite amusing.

He is trying to tell people that this is text messages from a labour supporter/activist.

But the messages are all in blue which means that whoever took the screenshot was the sender. That same person supposedly sent it to a daily mail editor...
REDBUCK

« Reply #8217 on: Tuesday, November 26, 2019, 21:08:01 »

I agree with you. I take it you're happy for the same comments to apply to the Tories and Islamophobia and that you're every bit as appalled at Johnson's frequent racist comments and his kicking the promised enquiry into the long grass?

Yes indeed the same should apply to all sides. All sides should act swiftly and it shouldn't be allowed to fester which going by the things said today, people think it still is.

Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
« Reply #8218 on: Wednesday, November 27, 2019, 06:47:41 »

2%

0.1%
https://www.jacobinmag.com/2019/10/labour-party-antisemitism-claims-jeremy-corbyn
Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #8219 on: Wednesday, November 27, 2019, 08:46:31 »

The whole Labour anti-semitism debate is a classic example of most people believing what they want to.

There is clear evidence of a problem.  The Guardian cites 635 complaints and 8 expulsions in H1 2019.  And there has been criticism of the speed at which expelled or suspended members have been re-admitted. 2 Jewish Labour MPs have quit citing anti-semitism and a number of others have quit claiming it as a factor.  3 peers as well.

On the other hand there are other senior Jewish Labour figures who say that the evidence has been exaggerated.  These seem high absolute numbers but are small numbers relative to the size of the Labour movement.  No-one would cite Anders Behring as standalone proof that Norway is institutionally violent.  And a lot of the ‘crimes’ seem to be people ‘liking’ substantial articles that have isolated lines of possible anti-semitism buried within them.  Search hard enough and anyone active on social media will have ended up inadvertently appearing to support or condone something they actually don't.

As for Corbyn himself, no-one has ever produced any examples (that I am aware of) that show him to be either racist in general or anti-semitic in particular.  And it is reasonable to assume that a lot of effort has been expended trying to dig up any such dirt.  He is very loyal to his friends and fellow travellers which is both commendable and sometimes foolish.  He strikes me as someone who tends not to act hastily but also can sometimes prevaricate when decisive action is needed.

Bottom line….. take exactly the same level of evidence, replace Labour/Corbyn/Racism with Tory/Johnson/Racism and an awful lot of people who are downplaying the evidence and excusing the Labour party would be slaughtering the Tories and an equal number of people who are slaughtering Labour would be downplaying the evidence and excusing the Tories.
Pages: 1 ... 545 546 547 [548] 549 550 551 ... 881   Go Up
Print
Jump to: