Pages: 1 ... 529 530 531 [532] 533 534 535 ... 880   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 1996331 times)
REDBUCK

« Reply #7965 on: Sunday, November 17, 2019, 12:48:51 »

Also, the effect on the economy of improved would be absolutely massive. Our productivity as a nation is shamefully low.

Its low yes but in what areas do you mean specifically or is it all areas.

IMHO you're making a big assumption that there are only upsides to what's proposed
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #7966 on: Sunday, November 17, 2019, 12:50:22 »

Quote from: Bogus Dave
I’d argue in this day and age that access to the internet should be treated as a public necessity in the same way as gas, electricity and water is.

surely libraries have public internet access.
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #7967 on: Sunday, November 17, 2019, 13:57:17 »

Free broadband seems just plain wrong to me.  I pay for my broadband and can afford to. 

A lot of people simply can't afford broadband though.

My brother, for example, worked part time in a supermarket and simply couldn't afford it and had 4 kids at school. They had to go round my parents to use the internet to help with their homework.

But, good for you, you can afford to pay for it, so you're alright.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #7968 on: Sunday, November 17, 2019, 14:02:05 »

Yes, but using the water example we don’t expect people to have to go to another building to wash up or have a shower

Things get better but they never get good
Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #7969 on: Sunday, November 17, 2019, 17:09:15 »

A lot of people simply can't afford broadband though.

My brother, for example, worked part time in a supermarket and simply couldn't afford it and had 4 kids at school. They had to go round my parents to use the internet to help with their homework.

But, good for you, you can afford to pay for it, so you're alright.

That's a rather shitty jibe.  My objection was not to providing free broadband but to providing it universally for free to people who are lucky enough to be able to afford it.  Every £ of child benefit, free school meals, OAP bus passes, tv licences etc. given to people who don't need it is a £ that can't be targeted where it is genuinely needed.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #7970 on: Sunday, November 17, 2019, 19:28:20 »

Yes, but using the water example we don’t expect people to have to go to another building to wash up or have a shower
But we pay water rates though, right?

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #7971 on: Sunday, November 17, 2019, 20:07:51 »

*sings* Ohhhh theeeee Grand Old Duke of York...he had ten thousand...

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #7972 on: Sunday, November 17, 2019, 21:58:54 »

*sings* Ohhhh theeeee Grand Old Duke of York...he had ten thousand...
He didn't have 10,000, a few dozen probably, maybe. And they weren't men, they were underage girls. Allegedly
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #7973 on: Monday, November 18, 2019, 00:11:03 »

Was thinking 10k potential lawsuits. It doesn't look good.

Funny how he can't remember ever meeting this girl at all but can vividly remember going to Pizza Express ONCE. Just so happened to remember it, once someone mentioned it (with a chuckle). As if it were akin to handing out an OBE.

Selective memory is incredibly common in the guilty, so I'm told. Cognitive dissonance at play? Which would explain why he is probably coming across so blazé.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #7974 on: Monday, November 18, 2019, 09:27:13 »

Funny how he can't remember ever meeting this girl at all but can vividly remember going to Pizza Express ONCE. Just so happened to remember it, once someone mentioned it (with a chuckle). As if it were akin to handing out an OBE.

Selective memory is incredibly common in the guilty, so I'm told. Cognitive dissonance at play? Which would explain why he is probably coming across so blazé.
Blase, it's blase. Don't think it's as complex as that. There's two explanations:
1) He has a massive sense of entitlement and just thinks he can do what he wants because the rules don't apply to him. Like Johnson, Rees-Mogg et al.
2) That's one hell of a Pizza Express in Woking.
I'm going with option 2. I hear the dough balls alone are sensational
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #7975 on: Monday, November 18, 2019, 09:29:22 »

Libraries, what are they?

Seriously though one can image that if Labour were to propose creating places where people couild borrow books to read, the Tory faithful would be screaming Stalin at them?
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #7976 on: Monday, November 18, 2019, 09:31:36 »

Libraries, what are they?

Seriously though one can image that if Labour were to propose creating places where people couild borrow books to read, the Tory faithful would be screaming Stalin at them?

I saw something earlier which showed the Conservatives screaming Communism at their top of the lungs when the NHS was first introduced.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #7977 on: Monday, November 18, 2019, 09:37:21 »

I have never been to a Pizza Express and on that basis I am concluding I am posher than the royal family. I assume it would be fairly easy to establish whether this stacks up as on would expect the protection team to keep records, I cannot image he just popped off there on his own. I also felt that the perspiration excuse was a stonker, it being an ailment he had then, but has has apparently got over now.

However it was all rather trumped by Lady Colin Campbell's (look her up on Wiki, when you read her background you can understand why she might be a bit different)  performance of GMB this morning where she was defending him less a case of 'hold my beer', more a case of hold my 'Dubonnet and Gin'

https://twitter.com/BorisJohnson_MP/status/1196359317676539904
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #7978 on: Monday, November 18, 2019, 10:02:02 »

However it was all rather trumped by Lady Colin Campbell's (look her up on Wiki, when you read her background you can understand why she might be a bit different)  performance of GMB this morning where she was defending him less a case of 'hold my beer', more a case of hold my 'Dubonnet and Gin'

https://twitter.com/BorisJohnson_MP/status/1196359317676539904
That's quite incredible. Maybe she thought the offence was "soliciting prostitution with miners" and couldn't understand why everyone was getting upset about Epstein paying burly blokes from Yorkshire and South Wales for sex?
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #7979 on: Monday, November 18, 2019, 10:22:05 »

LIBRARY?! THAT'S FUCKING BOOK COMMUNISM 
Pages: 1 ... 529 530 531 [532] 533 534 535 ... 880   Go Up
Print
Jump to: