Pages: 1 ... 521 522 523 [524] 525 526 527 ... 880   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 1996307 times)
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #7845 on: Wednesday, November 13, 2019, 14:50:27 »

This is just extraordinary.  They created the mess in the first place.  FFS, it's their mess!  It's like handing the keys of the fire engine to the arsonist.  'Go on, do your best.  Try to put out that fire that you started.'

I know Ardiles, it really did sadden me. I believe though, since the Referendum, this is a story of division amongst families and friends across a nation.

I tried to say to my Dad in the main all the Conservatives really stand for is to keep the elites richer and the "working man" in their box/place. To which he responded (ridiculously) "So if you or I became very rich, you'd be ok with handing it all out to others?". Ridiculous a comment as it was, I personally would distribute my wealth if I had enough because I know what it is like to have buggar all. His response was a deflection from the point because at current - neither of us are "rich".

It's odd though, whenever I say anything even mildly negative regarding Tories, my old man goes off on some Labour hating, Corbyn bashing rant?! As if he's been this hardline Conservative all his life and for some reason thinks I am the stoutest Labour voter. I'm not, traditionally.

Why doesn't he put across to me a wonderful reasoning of positives and strengths for voting Conservative? Because likely there is no solid evidence of strength or reasoning to support such. I'd love to hear a convincing policy and manifesto but I don't think it will ever be written let alone exist.

What is it they say about when you fear your enemy - you tend to hate them. In my Dad's case for Labour, this is indeed bizarrely true.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #7846 on: Wednesday, November 13, 2019, 14:54:50 »

The below quote from Conservative campaigners in formerly safe Tory constituencies is interesting.
“If you knock on a door and they have books on their shelves, you can be pretty sure these days they’re not voting Tory.”

You've haven't seen my Dad's bookshelf(ves) then. He's definitely voting Tory. Although he has stopped reading lately - you may have a point! Maybe cartoons will work?! David Squires sketches for Christmas then Smiley

'Incessant Nonsense'

horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #7847 on: Wednesday, November 13, 2019, 15:11:20 »

Ultimately everyone has their own reasons for voting the way that they do, however, I really cannot understand anyone on less than say £80k a year can think that a Tory government has any benefit or interest in them?

Ignore
« Reply #7848 on: Wednesday, November 13, 2019, 15:16:40 »

Ultimately everyone has their own reasons for voting the way that they do, however, I really cannot understand anyone on less than say £80k a year can think that a Tory government has any benefit or interest in them?

Because they believe the shit they get spoon fed from the biased press. Also we have the government ministers and MPs well drilled to attack Corbyn and Labour at every given opportunity. Whenever they get asked anything they cannot give a straight answer to(daily occurance) it gets spun into just that. The public have fallen for it.
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #7849 on: Wednesday, November 13, 2019, 15:19:33 »

Because they believe the shit they get spoon fed from the biased press. Also we have the government ministers and MPs well drilled to attack Corbyn and Labour at every given opportunity. Whenever they get asked anything they cannot give a straight answer to(daily occurance) it gets spun into just that. The public have fallen for it.

In this day and age (of more open media sources available to us all), I still don't get how they continually do fall for it. I know us humans are creatures of habit but are we all really creatures of madness?

'Incessant Nonsense'

Flashheart

« Reply #7850 on: Wednesday, November 13, 2019, 15:20:35 »

Because Corbyn's a commie, traitor, Britain hating, terrorist loving, racist anti-semite extremist.

How did I do?
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #7851 on: Wednesday, November 13, 2019, 15:24:41 »

Because Corbyn's a commie, traitor, Britain hating, terrorist loving, racist anti-semite extremist.

How did I do?
Corbingo

Ignore
« Reply #7852 on: Wednesday, November 13, 2019, 15:30:26 »

In this day and age (of more open media sources available to us all), I still don't get how they continually do fall for it. I know us humans are creatures of habit but are we all really creatures of madness?

Your dad is a casing example. He only needs to do a bit of research to realise he's misguided.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #7853 on: Wednesday, November 13, 2019, 15:45:23 »

Corbingo

Clap

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #7854 on: Wednesday, November 13, 2019, 15:53:18 »

We live in uncertain times, and the proliferation of various media adds to that sense of uncertainty. 

Most people have little to no interest in politics, but just want to carry on consuming, and would rather not think too much of the consequences, or think too much about what politics means.

They know what they'll get with the Tories.... austerity, public squalor, a run down NHS..... but are prepared to put up with it as they won't be required to pay for the necesary improvements, through higher taxation.   The problem for the Tories will be if their hard Brexit really does tank the economy as predicted, and their voters get the private as well as public squalor.

That people firmly prefer their head in the sand, is the fact that still climate change isn't at the top of the agenda. They like the fact that Johnson can describe climate change science as "a primitive fear without foundation"

Ignore
« Reply #7855 on: Wednesday, November 13, 2019, 15:54:49 »

How did I do?

You forgot Russian spy, scared to press the red button, danger to the economy, Marxist, hates the armed forces.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #7856 on: Wednesday, November 13, 2019, 16:01:02 »

.....and Arsenal fan.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #7857 on: Wednesday, November 13, 2019, 16:15:55 »

Thing is if you only get your news from the say the Mail and the BBC, you will be completely oblivious to a lot of dodgy stuff that's going on as its just not reported, the Russian stuff is barely mentioned and reported as being a mystery or whatever, likewise the normal political machinations of the other parties such as tactical voting and cross party bills are reported as being 'plots' and then there is the BBC editing the remembrance thing to old footage to stop Johnson looking a tool. Thus you could be a normal person who gets news from 2/3 outlets and have no idea what the hell is actually going on.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #7858 on: Wednesday, November 13, 2019, 16:38:58 »

Being uneducated I sadly did not get the subtlety of Johnson calling Corbyn a wanker today.....

https://twitter.com/ProudGranny24/status/1194554210823671808
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #7859 on: Wednesday, November 13, 2019, 16:40:41 »

Your dad is a casing example. He only needs to do a bit of research to realise he's misguided.

Clearly. Although he has always been a person who does his own digging. He doesn't usually fall into the trap of "Well the <<insert MSM>> said it so it must be true.", so what is different this time compared to other years?

I think for a lot it may have something to do with the rise of the further right. Started several back with factions of EDL (still lingering Hmmm... ) and then that Nick Cumstain (can't think of his surname) who led the BNP. Who as we know were both very racism infused parties. It enabled a lot of the inner racists for some but several people didn't want to be seen as fully blown KKK style racists. This enabled the rise of UKIP into mainstream politics. Lots of closet racists making the switch* to vote for on the surface, essentially a sophisticated (sic) party, with Tory undertones. The perfect plan... When the penny dropped and UKIP were found out to be sliding back towards very far right and racist tendencies...the closet racists didn't want to be found out too and jumped ship. Genuine UKIPers who fell for the more innocent party hook of obtaining Independence from Europe, were left without a party to take seriously. Likely, many of those were sucked in and fell for the charms of the newly formed Brexit Party, only to be left high and dry as well as some also out of pocket.

Certainly, as this decade comes to a close this trend has been a continuing influence. We know about the NF and other localised "Liberation Fronts", spilling into EDL (essentially a continuation of Ultras and linked football hooliganism trying to get into politics) and then BNP. The far right has wormed it's way in and made a mark. We don't have to accept it but my fears are it will take a long time to remove. We have gone backwards, we're in danger of or in the process of slipping even further back. Where racial stereotypes become accepted talk once again. That isn't an environment I want to live in, it isn't an environment I want my niece or future children growing up in. Hate is being used by the powers that be to continually divide us, once we all see this only then can change for the good be made.

*Farage didn't agree with a BNP influence being allowed to merge with UKIP (that's the only credit he's getting there) and probably stopped the extreme right entering mainstream politics.

'Incessant Nonsense'

Pages: 1 ... 521 522 523 [524] 525 526 527 ... 880   Go Up
Print
Jump to: