Pages: 1 ... 484 485 486 [487] 488 489 490 ... 880   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 1995997 times)
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #7290 on: Friday, September 27, 2019, 10:58:37 »

Good explanation here on why the latest mooted jiggery pokery to sidestep the Benn Act and force through No Deal is a load of bollocks, legally:

https://davidallengreen.com/2019/09/brexit-padfield-and-the-benn-act/

Although as the author notes, it may be the intention of such bollocks is not to actually force through No Deal but to heighten the perception of conflict between the executive and the judiciary, at the same time as the govt seems to be deliberately ramping up the same tension between the executive and the legislature. A very dangerous strategy which leads to some very dark endings.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #7291 on: Friday, September 27, 2019, 11:39:39 »

This was clearly alcohol hammered, as opposed to his usual coked-up hammered

We've all been there, popped to lunch, got over excited and forgotten work still beckons.  Well, in the 90's anyway.  Some of the best ideas come when drunk, they should have let him talk abour Brexit.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #7292 on: Friday, September 27, 2019, 11:46:52 »

Good explanation here on why the latest mooted jiggery pokery to sidestep the Benn Act and force through No Deal is a load of bollocks, legally:

Although as the author notes, it may be the intention of such bollocks is not to actually force through No Deal but to heighten the perception of conflict between the executive and the judiciary, at the same time as the govt seems to be deliberately ramping up the same tension between the executive and the legislature. A very dangerous strategy which leads to some very dark endings.

Yep. We're getting dangerously close to Bannon-style politics. Good article on this:

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/boris-johnson-jo-cox-death-brendan-trump-brexit-culture-war-division-a9121101.html?fbclid=IwAR0pYRxdrOlyqn69f0IuhrPY5lSAUmn2wYV7xCgr_koEX4qZSGrXZZugdPE

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #7293 on: Friday, September 27, 2019, 11:54:58 »

Yep. We're getting dangerously close to Bannon-style politics.
I don't think we're close to it, this is all straight out of Bannon's playbook. No coincidence he has close links with Farage, Johnson and Cummings, they have learned from the guy who mainstreamed white nationalism in the US.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #7294 on: Friday, September 27, 2019, 13:13:07 »

The below is nicked from elsewhere but seems to sum it up....

Seems pretty obvious to me that Johnson can’t get a deal at the EU Summit, and has no intention of doing so. (To do so, he would have to have proposals now that could be discussed in advance of the Summit. Indeed, Barnier has no formal remit to negotiate, a point that was conceded in the commons yesterday - so without new negotiations, how can there be a new deal?)

So what then: I assume the strategy is:

1) Return without a deal, for which the EU are blamed

2) Refuse to ask for an extension

3) Lose a very rapid court challenge, and therefore ask for an extension only because the courts mandate it.

4) General Election

Point 2 and 3 are critical. Point 2 is designed to keep soft Brexiters on side: “look, we tried but the devious EU wouldn’t give us a deal”. Point 3 is to play well with the rabid foaming hardcore: Johnson knows he has to ask for an extension, but making it look like the courts forced him into it after he tried not to plays into the victim mentality that is portraying this as an establishment plot to deny the will of the people.

It is devious, ruthless cold calculation; will probably be successful (in winning him a General Election); and will in turn take the country to a very dark place. Everybody who votes Tory at the next election will be complicit in taking us there.
Flashheart

« Reply #7295 on: Friday, September 27, 2019, 15:07:59 »

We've all been there, popped to lunch, got over excited and forgotten work still beckons.  Well, in the 90's anyway.  Some of the best ideas come when drunk, they should have let him talk abour Brexit.

Of course.

I'm not at all fussed about some bloke having had a few at lunchtime. I have done so myself on the odd occasion.

What grinds my gears is that Abbott gets pilloried in the press for drinking a can of mojito, while there is no mention of Grove barely being able to stand straight at work.

And the masses lap up whatever they read, seemingly oblivious to the bias and hypocrisy.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #7296 on: Friday, September 27, 2019, 15:29:13 »

To add to the threats against individual MPs and lawyers, the hard right's latest wheeze seems to be to threaten riots if they don't get their way over Brexit, this apparently includes govt ministers:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/deliver-brexit-or-face-riots-minister-warns-boris-johnson-m7bqr00x3

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/brendan-o-neill-on-politics-live-1-6294304

Project Fear anyone?
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #7297 on: Friday, September 27, 2019, 18:02:23 »

Hmmm...

...would it be wrong to make a marginal assumption that Jo Swinson is eyeballing a position of care-taking PM? She seems hell bent on some kind of power. It's just a hitch. I don't think it will happen but could it?

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #7298 on: Wednesday, October 2, 2019, 10:53:09 »

Meanwhile, Steve Baker, leader of the ERG (the loony fringe of the Tory right that used to be headed by Rees-Mogg before the lunatics took over the asylum and he ended up in govt) thought the best way to reassure us all how great Brexit is going to be would be to use a quote from Satan:

https://twitter.com/SteveBakerHW/status/1179184311108538369

michael
The Dude Abides

Ignore
« Reply #7299 on: Wednesday, October 2, 2019, 18:01:06 »

I noticed earlier this week that the US created sanctions for 'Interfering in a US Presidential Election'. Amazing timing given what Trump is being accused of!! Good news for Hard Brexiteers too as it is keeping him away from his planned take-down of the WTO.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #7300 on: Thursday, October 3, 2019, 16:04:44 »

Trump, having denounced as a witchhunt an ongoing impeachment inquiry about whether he encouraged foreign leaders to investigate Joe Biden, has just given a press conference on live TV in which he encouraged the leaders of both Ukraine and China to investigate Joe Biden.
Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #7301 on: Thursday, October 3, 2019, 17:38:00 »

Everybody who votes Tory at the next election will be complicit in taking us there.

I think that we are already in a very dark place.

There is scarcely a person directly involved in UK politics as a job, or interested in it as a citizen, who seems prepared to acknowledge any validity in any point of view but their own side's.

This is the stuff of Palestine, Northern Ireland in the 70's etc.

One honourable exception last week was Jo Cox's husband.  Difficult to tell what he thought of her memory being invoked in the first place by the Batley MP, but he had to have been utterly disgusted by Johnson's reply.  In the interview I heard the next day, however, although he did firmly make the point that more than anyone it's the PM who should be elevating the tone not lowering it even further, his primary plea was the need for everyone to moderate their own behaviour.

The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #7302 on: Friday, October 4, 2019, 12:36:52 »

Boris has now said he will seek a Brexit extension if a deal is not reached by Oct 19
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #7303 on: Friday, October 4, 2019, 12:51:31 »

he's said he'd send the letter. I'm sure they've found a way to do that and take it back in the same breath
Flashheart

« Reply #7304 on: Friday, October 4, 2019, 12:53:05 »

What he probably means is something along the lines of: "I think I might have found a way of avoiding it without getting into trouble"
Pages: 1 ... 484 485 486 [487] 488 489 490 ... 880   Go Up
Print
Jump to: