Pages: 1 ... 480 481 482 [483] 484 485 486 ... 881   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 2015709 times)
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #7230 on: Tuesday, September 24, 2019, 12:59:11 »

What do you think dearth means?  Hmmm

Lord Vaper

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #7231 on: Tuesday, September 24, 2019, 13:15:36 »

What do you think dearth means?  Hmmm

Nice innit!
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #7232 on: Tuesday, September 24, 2019, 13:40:23 »

I can feel convenient military action coming on.....

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...il-attack-trump-military-action-a9116146.html
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #7233 on: Tuesday, September 24, 2019, 14:19:16 »

Well said. Will be interesting to see how Buckland, one of the most senior law officers of the land, responds to this.

So Buckland's response is that the government of which he is part disagrees with the Supreme Court decision. Shameful.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, September 24, 2019, 14:21:24 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #7234 on: Tuesday, September 24, 2019, 14:21:17 »

So Buckland's response is that the govenment of which he is part disagrees with the Supreme Court decision. Shameful.
Indeed, but as arriba pointed out, wholly predictable.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #7235 on: Tuesday, September 24, 2019, 14:58:12 »

So Buckland's response is that the government of which he is part disagrees with the Supreme Court decision. Shameful.

Hang on, using their own definition of Extremism, opposition to the rule of law makes them potentially extremists.

Source https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/97976/prevent-strategy-review.pdf

I demand to know how these people are being dangerously radicalised at a risk to the general public.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #7236 on: Tuesday, September 24, 2019, 15:46:34 »

So looking more and more like Sir Geoffrey Cox the Attorney General has been nominated to be flung under the bus to save Johnson and Cummings skin https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1176513731418820609

QC's now noting that leaking the advice of the Law Officers is a serious matter. Leon Brittan had to resign during the Westland affair in 1986 for having done so, its also in breach of the Ministerial Code.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #7237 on: Tuesday, September 24, 2019, 16:05:54 »

Johnson and Cummings are banking everything on Corbyn and his acolytes having sufficient hubris to take the bait and call an election, where the attack-dog press will massacre them.

Bizarrely, the anti-populist coalition of everyone but the Tory hard right and the DUP stand to retain better control of events if they don't fall for this ploy, and continue to dictate the parliamentary agenda while Johnson remains PM in name only.

Hold out. Let him spin.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #7238 on: Tuesday, September 24, 2019, 16:36:31 »

Johnson knows no matter what he does Labour will make a bigger fuck up than him so has no shame and apparently no boundaries.

Labours vote rigging episode yesterday, the 32 hour week (for somehow no reduction in pay) and to abolish private schools and effectively seize their land being their latest clusterfucks. Unless Labour shed Corbyn et el and these momentum twats they will never be a credible option again.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #7239 on: Tuesday, September 24, 2019, 17:04:48 »

Bizarrely, the anti-populist coalition of everyone but the Tory hard right and the DUP stand to retain better control of events if they don't fall for this ploy, and continue to dictate the parliamentary agenda while Johnson remains PM in name only.

Hold out. Let him spin.

Indeed, let him fuck up by himself. He keeps on doing the same things expecting not to make mistakes. Johnson has done this historically. The only good thing he did was bring bikes to London, hardly masterminding though is it.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #7240 on: Tuesday, September 24, 2019, 18:03:42 »

Slightly surprised to see you saying this Pax, IIRC it was you who praised Lord Sumption's excellent recent series of Reith Lectures on legal overreach. Wholly agree that this is a case where judicial correction of the executive is justified, but what made you change your mind? (If indeed you have, I may just have misread your posts on Sumption. Or it might not even have been you, in which case, just ignore me Smiley )
I'd never wish to ignore you  Smiley but if it was me then I was winging it even more than usual as I've never even seen Sumption's Reith lectures. The only comment I can recall making on the legal challenges was something to the effect that I could see why the Scottish judges would be angered by Johnson's blatant misuse of the prorogation process but that the Supreme Court would back the English ruling not the Scottish one.  Yet another thing I was wrong about!  I got my understanding re 'lack of jurisdiction' from The Times.  They may have got it from Sumption I guess?
Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #7241 on: Tuesday, September 24, 2019, 18:06:26 »

Hasn't taken long has it.... (taken from Facebook)

Am I being thick here?  I thought it was 11 judges who gave the judgment? 
Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #7242 on: Tuesday, September 24, 2019, 18:14:03 »

I'm not sure we've moved on much. Johnson has already started spinning this into the "elites vs the people" narrative. With every failed outrage, he's showing Brexiteers that he'll do anything to take on the "establishment" in order to deliver the "will of the people".

Every lost vote in Parliament or the courts strengthens his goading of the opposition to call an election. And it's only then that the game really starts for him.

Absolutely.  It's difficult to beat populists simply by pointing out their failings.  There needs to be a credible alternative.
Sir red ken

« Reply #7243 on: Tuesday, September 24, 2019, 18:40:50 »

Absolutely.  It's difficult to beat populists simply by pointing out their failings.  There needs to be a credible alternative.

There is a credible alternative, its communism, always worked a treat.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #7244 on: Tuesday, September 24, 2019, 19:22:13 »

There is a credible alternative, its communism, always worked a treat.

Do you think Boris is looking out for you SRK? Genuine question.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Pages: 1 ... 480 481 482 [483] 484 485 486 ... 881   Go Up
Print
Jump to: