Pages: 1 ... 472 473 474 [475] 476 477 478 ... 880   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 1995965 times)
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #7110 on: Thursday, September 12, 2019, 10:37:04 »

Possibly explains why Johnson is looking so haunted at the moment, there are big stakes running on all this....

https://bylinetimes.com/2019/09/11/brexit-disaster-capitalism-8-billion-bet-on-no-deal-crash-out-by-boris-johnsons-leave-backers/
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #7111 on: Thursday, September 12, 2019, 10:45:05 »

I've only just had a proper look at May's resignation honours for the first time. Disgusted to see that Stephen Parkinson was in there. He's the man that publicly outed the whistleblower Shahmir Sanni as gay, after Sanni had told the Observer how Vote Leave channelled money through BeLeave, a group linked to Cambridge Analytica, to get around electoral law.

Sanni had had a relationship with Parkinson, one of May’s closest advisers and a former Vote Leave official, but had not come out as gay. How low can you get?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/mar/26/being-outed-by-downing-street-is-breathtakingly-wrong
I'd say it degrades the honours system, but that ship sailed years ago. Still shows appalling judgement by May though (again, add it to the list!)
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #7112 on: Thursday, September 12, 2019, 10:45:49 »

Normal rules have ceased to exist, hence a woman whose attempt at a lasting legacy (apart from the Brexit shitshow she left us with) was a bill to address domestic violence
Which has been left in limbo by parliament being prorogued
Chunkyhair

Ignore
« Reply #7113 on: Thursday, September 12, 2019, 12:13:16 »

BBC headline - "Johnson denies lying to Queen over Parliament suspension"

Is he telling the truth about not lying? He could be playing the double negative card whereby 2 lies cancel each other out and it all becomes true.
 Suicide

No one kills a thread like me....
Flashheart

« Reply #7114 on: Thursday, September 12, 2019, 12:16:26 »

He added: "The High Court in England plainly agrees with us

They didn't say they agree with him, though, did they? I thought they just said that it's not something they should be getting involved in.

Is this Boris missing the point, or yet another lie? (Or I have missed something)
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #7115 on: Thursday, September 12, 2019, 12:49:12 »

They didn't say they agree with him, though, did they? I thought they just said that it's not something they should be getting involved in.

Is this Boris missing the point, or yet another lie? (Or I have missed something)
He fully understands the point he is (yet again) taking a leaf from Trump's playbook - "Mueller completely exonerated me" (No he didn't, he said he didn't have the power to lay charges but made it clear that charges would be merited) "The High Court agrees with us" (No they don't, they just don't think it's within their jurisdiction).
Flashheart

« Reply #7116 on: Thursday, September 12, 2019, 12:51:56 »

And you can guarantee that most will not get the nuance (or completely ignore it).
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #7117 on: Thursday, September 12, 2019, 12:54:58 »

"The High Court agrees with us" (No they don't, they just don't think it's within their jurisdiction).

And you can guarantee that most will not get the nuance (or completely ignore it).

I imagine this version will be splashed all over the front of the right wing propaganda sheets tomorrow AM....

horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #7118 on: Thursday, September 12, 2019, 13:09:39 »

Isn't this all irrelevant anyway...... we all know that all our laws are set in Brussels anyway.

This is quite an interesting listen... https://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/james-obrien/legal-expert-david-allen-green-prorogation/
Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #7119 on: Thursday, September 12, 2019, 13:49:24 »

I've only just had a proper look at May's resignation honours for the first time. Disgusted to see that Stephen Parkinson was in there. He's the man that publicly outed the whistleblower Shahmir Sanni as gay, after Sanni had told the Observer how Vote Leave channelled money through BeLeave, a group linked to Cambridge Analytica, to get around electoral law.

Sanni had had a relationship with Parkinson, one of May’s closest advisers and a former Vote Leave official, but had not come out as gay. How low can you get?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/mar/26/being-outed-by-downing-street-is-breathtakingly-wrong

Another one that seems iffy is the labour mp who voted 3 times for May's deal and now gets a peerage from her.
Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #7120 on: Thursday, September 12, 2019, 13:54:10 »

"The High Court agrees with us" (No they don't, they just don't think it's within their jurisdiction).

Equally by the same token they haven't pronounced whether they disagree with him.

Most people are taking what they want from all of this, not just The Daily Mail
Flashheart

« Reply #7121 on: Thursday, September 12, 2019, 14:10:20 »

Equally by the same token they haven't pronounced whether they disagree with him.

Which is not the point. Boris is saying the courts have said something that they have not said.
Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #7122 on: Thursday, September 12, 2019, 14:23:10 »

Which is not the point. Boris is saying the courts have said something that they have not said.

My point is that people are implying that the only thing that is stopping the courts from disagreeing with Boris is their reluctance to interfere.  That is as speculative as the assertion from Boris that they agree with him.
Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #7123 on: Thursday, September 12, 2019, 14:25:03 »

Yellowhammer is rather disappointing, not so much in what it says as what it doesn’t say.  Not referring to the redactions but rather that it gives no indication as to what they actually expect WILL happen.

What is the delta between “reasonable worst case” and “reasonable expected case”?   If it is significant and effective mitigation steps to move us from worst case to reality are being put in place then great.

But what if that delta is actually negligible?  The government are strongly pushing the “that’s just the worst case, we’re taking steps to avoid it” line which has logic to it, but equally it’s reasonable to assume that this government would happily push a line that sounds good but they already know won’t happen.  Yellowhammer should be telling us.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #7124 on: Thursday, September 12, 2019, 14:43:36 »

My point is that people are implying that the only thing that is stopping the courts from disagreeing with Boris is their reluctance to interfere.  That is as speculative as the assertion from Boris that they agree with him.
No-one here is implying that. I was saying he was pulling essentially the same trick as Trump did: claiming a "not in my/our remit" as a vindication. Which it isn't.
Pages: 1 ... 472 473 474 [475] 476 477 478 ... 880   Go Up
Print
Jump to: