Pages: 1 ... 470 471 472 [473] 474 475 476 ... 880   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 1995470 times)
Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #7080 on: Wednesday, September 11, 2019, 15:36:43 »

I'm not sure that this is as much of an issue for Boris as has been made out by the twitter poster.  It seems to be more a case of what he wants to believe should happen rather than what will actually happen.

Not pretending to be a legal expert but my understanding is that the proroguing is legal, albeit far longer than normal, and that the supreme court will uphold that view.   Particularly as they are usually loathe to interfere in the running of the country.

Yes, we all 'know' that this is being done for entirely the wrong reasons and for reasons that are appalling and in complete contradiction to the intent behind proroguing.  But that makes Johnson a disgrace, not the action illegal.

pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #7081 on: Wednesday, September 11, 2019, 15:39:12 »

I'm not sure that this is as much of an issue for Boris as has been made out by the twitter poster.  It seems to be more a case of what he wants to believe should happen rather than what will actually happen.

Not pretending to be a legal expert but my understanding is that the proroguing is legal, albeit far longer than normal, and that the supreme court will uphold that view.   Particularly as they are usually loathe to interfere in the running of the country.

Yes, we all 'know' that this is being done for entirely the wrong reasons and for reasons that are appalling and in complete contradiction to the intent behind proroguing.  But that makes Johnson a disgrace, not the action illegal.

I think that's exactly what he said. But I thought the fact that he drew attention to the court's finding that Johnson lied to the Queen was noteworthy. I'm hoping it's Tower-able Smiley
Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #7082 on: Wednesday, September 11, 2019, 16:04:35 »

I'm hoping it's Tower-able Smiley

It isn't.

The Chief Gaoler of the Tower has already been consulted on this very matter and has confirmed that although they are happy to take traitors, mass murderers and megalomaniacs they have to draw the line somewhere.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #7083 on: Wednesday, September 11, 2019, 16:26:52 »

It isn't.

The Chief Gaoler of the Tower has already been consulted on this very matter and has confirmed that although they are happy to take traitors, mass murderers and megalomaniacs they have to draw the line somewhere.
Well Johnson fits two of those categories, not sure about mass murder though, but give him time
bathford

Ignore
« Reply #7084 on: Wednesday, September 11, 2019, 18:04:04 »

Surely, The Queen would have sought legal advise before agreeing to anything. She can't be that daft?
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #7085 on: Wednesday, September 11, 2019, 18:43:51 »

Surely, The Queen would have sought legal advise before agreeing to anything. She can't be that daft?
That's not really the way it works. The Queen is pretty much obliged to accept the advice of her ministers, she doesn't have a decision to make, the decision is made by the PM, it's just a formality that the Queen enacts it. In this instance, her ministers are her legal/constitutional advisers
Flashheart

« Reply #7086 on: Wednesday, September 11, 2019, 18:51:56 »

Not only that, but she would have had no way of knowing at the time that Boris was lying.

I mean, OK, it's Boris so she probably knew really, but she would have had no evidence... asides from it being Boris that is.
bathford

Ignore
« Reply #7087 on: Wednesday, September 11, 2019, 19:14:20 »

But surely, if she had any doubts she could have refused. OK, it's an unusual thing to do. But what isn't at the moment
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #7088 on: Wednesday, September 11, 2019, 19:19:20 »

But surely, if she had any doubts she could have refused.
No she couldn't. That's the whole point of a constitutional monarchy.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #7089 on: Wednesday, September 11, 2019, 19:39:26 »

Yellowhammer's been published, with some redactions:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/831199/20190802_Latest_Yellowhammer_Planning_assumptions_CDL.pdf

TLDR: the govt think there will be an affect on food supply with shortages of some fresh foods
There will be disruption to the fuel supply, esp in SE and London
There will be significant disruption to some medical supplies, esp those the govt is unable to stockpile.
There will be public disorder

This is the govt's view of the impact of a No Deal Brexit, remember. It's not pretty and our govt is voluntarily and deliberately choosing to do this to us.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #7090 on: Wednesday, September 11, 2019, 19:40:31 »

AND those are the parts they are prepared to tell us about.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #7091 on: Wednesday, September 11, 2019, 19:41:08 »

Fortunately, it looks like Johnson, Rees-Mogg and Farage will be OK:

"Low income groups will be disproportionately affected by any price rises in food and fuel"

Bearing in mind an earlier para expects the cost of gas and electricity to rise "significantly". At the start of winter.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, September 11, 2019, 19:43:49 by pauld » Logged
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #7092 on: Wednesday, September 11, 2019, 19:46:19 »

AND those are the parts they are prepared to tell us about.
Paragraph 15, which comes immediately after the para about major disruption to the fuel supply in SE and London, has been redacted entirely. Worrying. My guess is that's the bit about the dead rising from their graves
Flashheart

« Reply #7093 on: Wednesday, September 11, 2019, 19:48:22 »

Project fear  Wink
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #7094 on: Wednesday, September 11, 2019, 19:49:34 »

fuel supply issues. great. It was like Mad Max when the tanker blockades happened
Pages: 1 ... 470 471 472 [473] 474 475 476 ... 880   Go Up
Print
Jump to: