Pages: 1 ... 451 452 453 [454] 455 456 457 ... 880   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 1996929 times)
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #6795 on: Wednesday, August 14, 2019, 10:39:58 »

This is a depressingly bleak read https://thesecretbarrister.com/2019/08/13/dont-fall-for-boris-johnsons-criminal-justice-con-tricks/
ReadingRed

Pragmatist clapper

Ignore
« Reply #6796 on: Wednesday, August 14, 2019, 19:28:53 »

Today marks 3 months since Cressida Dick told the London Assembly that the Met would be making a decision on the criminal investigation into Leave campaign illegality in "weeks not months"

What's the betting that it will conveniently be delayed until after October?
« Last Edit: Wednesday, August 14, 2019, 20:00:47 by ReadingRed » Logged
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #6797 on: Thursday, August 15, 2019, 09:02:48 »

Today marks 3 months since Cressida Dick told the London Assembly that the Met would be making a decision on the criminal investigation into Leave campaign illegality in "weeks not months"

What's the betting that it will conveniently be delayed until after October?

Well she was sharing a platform with Johnson in the week (which was a bit odd, the head of the Met sharing a platform with someone her force is supposed to be investigating for possibly criminality) although possibly discussing how much white paint might be needed or how big the carpet was going to need to be.
hobodan

Ignore
« Reply #6798 on: Wednesday, August 21, 2019, 23:16:19 »

It’s going to be fun on November 1st. Must log in to see you lefty faggots spewing over Brexit 😂
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #6799 on: Thursday, August 22, 2019, 06:10:14 »

See, that’s trolling. Not what Reg does

Things get better but they never get good
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #6800 on: Thursday, August 22, 2019, 06:29:28 »

I often feel sorry for trolls. The need to provoke a reaction like this is often a cry for help.

Nothing to see here
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #6801 on: Thursday, August 22, 2019, 08:17:01 »

See, that’s trolling. Not what Reg does
Trolling is just deliberately posting something controversial/unpopular in order to provoke a reaction. It's degrees and shades, he's on the spectrum Smiley
« Last Edit: Thursday, August 22, 2019, 08:19:44 by pauld » Logged
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #6802 on: Thursday, August 22, 2019, 14:35:32 »

Seems to sum up much of the right wing hysterical coverage of Johnson's interrailing holiday...

The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #6803 on: Thursday, August 22, 2019, 15:26:10 »

So, the backstop is integral to the EU in preventing a hard border on the island of Ireland.

Yet if we go full Boris and leave with No Deal then a hard border is an inevitable consequence.

Am I reading the situation correctly?
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #6804 on: Thursday, August 22, 2019, 15:44:37 »

So, the backstop is integral to the EU in preventing a hard border on the island of Ireland.

Yet if we go full Boris and leave with No Deal then a hard border is an inevitable consequence.

Am I reading the situation correctly?

Broadly yes (I think although there is a lot to it), no doubt there wlill be others better able to articulate it but my understanding is...

Basically the EU (SM & CU) obviously requires hard borders at its edges to third parties or the whole system doesn't work, when we leave NI becomes a third party country to the EU and thus a hard border with customs controls is needed (the EU did suggest the easier way round that would be to put the border in the Irish Sea (not that its any easier for them but obviously from an infrastructure PoV it would be for us) but due to the government being propped up by the nutjobs in the DUP this was never really an option).

Basically the backstop seems to be a legal mechanism that the EU can use to hold us to our promises (inserted at our request as May thought she could get it through parliament), possibly more exacerbated by the fact that since 2016 we have shown the good faith and trustworthiness of the most rapid divorce lawyer in our negotiations, thus they don't really trust us very much! The EU also seem rather more aware of the possible negative effects on the GFA (a hard border would royally fuck it up basically), something our politicians seem unable to comprehend, or in fact seem unable to comprehend that the RoI is no longer part of the UK.

In the case of no deal, in theory we don't need a border (although to do away with it would rather fly in the face of the oft spouted 'taking back control'), however the EU would like still need to impose one as obviously for the reasons noted it would fly in the face of the SM/CU. Add to the fun the fact that it would leave an open border for every Tom, Dick, Harry and immigrant to enter NI and thus the UK unfettered (if I were the EU I would be bussing people from the med to the Irish border and letting them crack on with it) it also rather defeats a further plank of the Brexit argument.

Final fun fact for the day, the much derided £39bn 'divorce bill'* was calculated months back, since which our noble leaders have managed to tank the pound even further, I wonder what that figure is now on a roughly £1-1 euro exchange rate, although this coule be offset by the fact that we have already paid some of it off so who knows.

The amusing bit is that Johnson voted for Mays deal earlier in the year as at the time she promised to resign if it passed, so essentially he is now wandering around saying something is crap that he voted to support in parliament a few months back, integrity huh!

*Which we possibly could not pay, but were we to try and wriggle out of it would further erode our already almost non-existent international standing and basically make us the Jed McCrory of international politics.
« Last Edit: Thursday, August 22, 2019, 15:51:23 by horlock07 » Logged
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #6805 on: Thursday, August 22, 2019, 16:09:20 »

So, what’s stopping putting a time limit on the backstop - say, 5 years. If May’s deal is just about good enough to get through Parliament with the backstop limit it need never become a problem.

I know trade deals can take a very long time to negotiate but 5 years should be enough if the bones are already negotiated.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #6806 on: Friday, August 23, 2019, 08:34:47 »

*Which we possibly could not pay, but were we to try and wriggle out of it would further erode our already almost non-existent international standing and basically make us the Jed McCrory of international politics.
And to hammer home the point, just at a time when we will need to be negotiating new trade deals we would, if we tried not to pay the agreed amount, have trashed our own reputation making us an extremely untrustworthy and hence undesirable partner for anyone to do trade deals with on all but the most unfavourable terms
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #6807 on: Friday, August 23, 2019, 09:07:31 »

I see IDS and his thinktank, have come up with the notion of raising the pension age to 75, so that people can work longer, as it's good for them. Welcome to the 51st state of Brexitania.
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #6808 on: Friday, August 23, 2019, 09:13:29 »

And to hammer home the point, just at a time when we will need to be negotiating new trade deals we would, if we tried not to pay the agreed amount, have trashed our own reputation making us an extremely untrustworthy and hence undesirable partner for anyone to do trade deals with on all but the most unfavourable terms

Was the £39bn bill set in Euros? If so, does the tanking of the value of the pound mean we now owe more? Have we actually paid some off since March?

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #6809 on: Friday, August 23, 2019, 09:20:08 »

So, what’s stopping putting a time limit on the backstop - say, 5 years. If May’s deal is just about good enough to get through Parliament with the backstop limit it need never become a problem.

I know trade deals can take a very long time to negotiate but 5 years should be enough if the bones are already negotiated.

There does need to be a credible plan to have a guarantee of a solution in two years time. The UK hasn't been able to credibly guarantee that, hence the need for a backstop 'just in case'. Its worth bearing in mind that brexiteers have had 3 years already to come up with something and so far nothing of any substance has been identified or even suggested.
Pages: 1 ... 451 452 453 [454] 455 456 457 ... 880   Go Up
Print
Jump to: