Pages: 1 ... 413 414 415 [416] 417 418 419 ... 880   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 1996844 times)
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #6225 on: Tuesday, June 11, 2019, 09:14:59 »

Buckland and Tomlinson are both supporting Johnson.... presumably think it will enhance their careers.  Tomlinson at least has always been a Brexiteer, so a measure of consistency... Buckland a remainer now wants a no deal Brexit in October, which all points to the local economy taking a hit, I guess he's eyeing up a nice fat tax cut and so fuck off to his constituents, they can pay for it.

You are the gift that keeps on giving. Keep up the good work.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #6226 on: Tuesday, June 11, 2019, 09:16:27 »

More likely he's just kissing whichever arse he thinks is most likely to give him a job. And a right fucking arse he's chosen.

Of course, hopefully Buckland will soon be returning to his day job. I fail to see how he can have been elected on the Tory manifesto of a negotiated withdrawal from the EU, and now back no deal, without it being put to the electorate.
RWB Robin

Ignore
« Reply #6227 on: Tuesday, June 11, 2019, 10:06:18 »

I can see that selfishness and ambition might cause Tory MPs to support Johnson.  I cannot get inside the culture of Tory Party members (and I guess many others) around the country who see him as Saviour.  But I guess unless we recognize and try to understand it, as with Trump (and Farage), we as a country will find it virtually impossible to move on.  I blame reality TV....everything is just a game.  But, as the editor of the New Statesman wrote this week, a man who may have caused laughs in the past is no longer funny.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #6228 on: Tuesday, June 11, 2019, 10:42:53 »

I can see that selfishness and ambition might cause Tory MPs to support Johnson.  I cannot get inside the culture of Tory Party members (and I guess many others) around the country who see him as Saviour.  But I guess unless we recognize and try to understand it, as with Trump (and Farage), we as a country will find it virtually impossible to move on.  I blame reality TV....everything is just a game.  But, as the editor of the New Statesman wrote this week, a man who may have caused laughs in the past is no longer funny.

It isn't exactly a stellar field.... when May got the gig, at least she looked like a safe pair of hands, seemed to have a sense of duty, and a clean background.

However what that meant was she lacked emotional intelligence, the sort of thing shown by her reaction to the Grenfell fire.

The days of stiff upper lip have passed, more's the pity as far as I'm concerned, but now its got to be touchy feely, even if you're just acting.....this is the sort of thing required, a master class.

I guess, some think Johnson is a good enough actor to provide that.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #6229 on: Tuesday, June 11, 2019, 11:17:48 »

Our Next PM? https://twitter.com/JamesMelville/status/1138176573121716224
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #6230 on: Tuesday, June 11, 2019, 12:50:17 »

It isn't exactly a stellar field.... when May got the gig, at least she looked like a safe pair of hands, seemed to have a sense of duty, and a clean background.

However what that meant was she lacked emotional intelligence, the sort of thing shown by her reaction to the Grenfell fire.

The days of stiff upper lip have passed, more's the pity as far as I'm concerned
May didn't have a stiff upper lip, though, the waterworks came when she was losing her job. She just didn't give a fuck about the victims of her own and her party's policies, not just Grenfell but austerity, Windrush and the "hostile enviroment" too (the civil servant in charge of her "Hostile Environment" policy that led to Windrush was recently honoured in the Queen's Birthday Honours, at May's recommendation). There's a difference between a stiff upper lip and a heart of stone
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #6231 on: Tuesday, June 11, 2019, 13:29:01 »

May didn't have a stiff upper lip, though, the waterworks came when she was losing her job. She just didn't give a fuck about the victims of her own and her party's policies, not just Grenfell but austerity, Windrush and the "hostile enviroment" too (the civil servant in charge of her "Hostile Environment" policy that led to Windrush was recently honoured in the Queen's Birthday Honours, at May's recommendation). There's a difference between a stiff upper lip and a heart of stone

I don't suppose you heard her reading the letter at the D Day commemoration, it was a lovely moving letter a soldier wrote to his wife and kids just before he set out, she delivered it with all the emotion of a robot reading a gas bill!
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #6232 on: Tuesday, June 11, 2019, 13:29:24 »

This seems a fairly good and quick summary of where we are (note where Brexit Party is mentioned you could also substitute the vast majority of the candidates for the Tory leadership!)

https://twitter.com/johnharris1969/status/1137689381639204865
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #6233 on: Tuesday, June 11, 2019, 15:45:35 »

So apparently teachers who are caught using drugs should be banned from their chosen profession for life. Whereas people who just want to run the country, well, you can't hang a guy for one (repeated) mistake can you?

https://schoolsweek.co.uk/michael-gove-banned-four-teachers-for-cocaine-possession/
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #6234 on: Wednesday, June 12, 2019, 11:02:15 »

Another candidate shows the depth of her knowledge....

https://twitter.com/LBC/status/1138748219826028547
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #6235 on: Wednesday, June 12, 2019, 12:18:36 »

So apparently teachers who are caught using drugs should be banned from their chosen profession for life. Whereas people who just want to run the country, well, you can't hang a guy for one (repeated) mistake can you?

https://schoolsweek.co.uk/michael-gove-banned-four-teachers-for-cocaine-possession/

One of those teachers got caught buying £30k worth of coke...
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #6236 on: Wednesday, June 12, 2019, 12:30:43 »

One of those teachers got caught buying £30k worth of coke...
And so probably served a jail term which would in itself merit a life time ban. But Gove established a principle that "middle-class drug use" was wrong, harmful and merited the severest consequences, jail and/or loss of livelihood. It was a principle he repeatedly enunciated in the newspaper columns he was writing as a journalist at the same period as he was himself gleefully snorting coke in his spare time and which he continued into his time as Education Secretary. He now wants us to forgive and forget his "indiscretions", despite not being prepared to do so himself to others. He's a hypocrite, pure and simple.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #6237 on: Wednesday, June 12, 2019, 13:13:10 »

I tell you what, you read below and realise in the vast majority of cases there is barely a fag paper between the candidates

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48496082

Interesting that the BBC had to come up with so many different ways of saying that the main problem is that the EU have stated that the WA is not up for renegotiation.

In the Johnson launch the most telling (and probably disturbing) thing was his exchange with Beth Rigby...

Beth Rigby: Why did you call Muslim women letterboxes?
Boris Johnson: British people want politicians to say what they mean.
Audience applauds.

In other news...

pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #6238 on: Wednesday, June 12, 2019, 13:15:26 »

In the Johnson launch the most telling (and probably disturbing) thing was his exchange with Beth Rigby...

Beth Rigby: Why did you call Muslim women letterboxes?
Boris Johnson: British people want politicians to say what they mean.
Audience applauds.
Seriously? Jesus, he really does intend to sink to the lowest common denominator to out-Farage Farage doesn't he?
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #6239 on: Wednesday, June 12, 2019, 13:25:32 »

It's worth remembering what former Tory MP, and colleague of Boris Johnson, Matthew Parris, who's had chance to see him "work" close up as a journo, London mayor and Foreign Secretary has to say about him (and he's missed out here that he's already been sacked twice for lying, leaving aside the dozens of other times he's been shown to lie but faced no consequences for it):

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/let-me-assure-you-boris-johnson-will-fail-as-pm-hl7b6tkx5
Pages: 1 ... 413 414 415 [416] 417 418 419 ... 880   Go Up
Print
Jump to: