Pages: 1 ... 399 400 401 [402] 403 404 405 ... 880   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 1995958 times)
Combe Up

« Reply #6015 on: Wednesday, May 22, 2019, 21:25:30 »

May wanted to do a three-year term at all costs for posterity. Will she make it?
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #6016 on: Thursday, May 23, 2019, 10:54:47 »

The PM has decided to pull the WA Bill, but is not offering her resignation.  Moving now from the bizarre to the surreal.  I'm not sure we have ever seen a politician cling to office so desperately before when the writing on the wall is so clear for everyone else to see.  If it's a dignified exit she's after, why not accept the inevitable?  The longer she holds on, the more likely she will be publicly forced out.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #6017 on: Thursday, May 23, 2019, 11:16:09 »

Only delayed for now. They'll keep her there until next week so she can be hung out to dry for the local and Euro election failures.

Ignore
« Reply #6018 on: Thursday, May 23, 2019, 12:22:12 »

I nearly feel sorry for the woman. This is because those hanging her out to dry are even more repulsive than she is....
« Last Edit: Thursday, May 23, 2019, 12:52:24 by Arriba » Logged
Flashheart

« Reply #6019 on: Thursday, May 23, 2019, 12:59:38 »

Any time I begin to feel any sympathy for May, I look back on how she and her government have willingly and cruelly made things so difficult for the most vulnerable people in society.

Then I just think: Fuck her. And her ilk.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #6020 on: Thursday, May 23, 2019, 13:12:11 »

Any time I begin to feel any sympathy for May, I look back on how she and her government have willingly and cruelly made things so difficult for the most vulnerable people in society.

I only got round to watching "I, Daniel Blake" this week. Should be obligatory viewing for the entire nation!

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #6021 on: Thursday, May 23, 2019, 13:21:12 »

This. Completely this. Brought it all on her own head. Now experiencing a hostile environment herself.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #6022 on: Thursday, May 23, 2019, 13:34:32 »

The PM has decided to pull the WA Bill, but is not offering her resignation.  Moving now from the bizarre to the surreal.  I'm not sure we have ever seen a politician cling to office so desperately before when the writing on the wall is so clear for everyone else to see.  If it's a dignified exit she's after, why not accept the inevitable?  The longer she holds on, the more likely she will be publicly forced out.

Its hilarious, she refused to meet Ministers last night, then today nothing can be reported because of the election, following which parliament goes into recess (again) so MP's bugger of back to their constituencies.

You have to admire the bravery of the right, May hiding in no.10 from her own ministers whilst Farage hides on a bus as apparently there are people stood outside with milkshakes*!

*Headline from the Independent

I

« Last Edit: Thursday, May 23, 2019, 13:39:45 by horlock07 » Logged
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #6023 on: Thursday, May 23, 2019, 14:30:54 »

You have to admire the bravery of the right, May hiding in no.10 from her own ministers whilst Farage hides on a bus as apparently there are people stood outside with milkshakes*!

3 people, with hoodies, suspected of holding milkshakes Smiley
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #6024 on: Friday, May 24, 2019, 08:42:03 »

One positive that I draw from the political chaos we're living through is that I'm provided with a daily, self-affirming reminder of why I'm not a Tory.  I'm not sure how I'm going to cope, though, when Johnson is crowned as leader.  Dark days.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #6025 on: Friday, May 24, 2019, 08:55:09 »

Well, looks like it's finally coming to an end this morning. Hard to see what a new leader really changes, but at least we won't have to listen to Theresa May's "time for everyone to come together" speech again.

On the other hand, Boris cocking Johnson is within snaffling distance of being PM.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #6026 on: Friday, May 24, 2019, 09:06:38 »

Well, looks like it's finally coming to an end this morning. Hard to see what a new leader really changes, but at least we won't have to listen to Theresa May's "time for everyone to come together" speech again.

On the other hand, Boris cocking Johnson is within snaffling distance of being PM.
He was after the referendum too. As one of the rival campaigns for leader was (anonymously) quoted as saying on the radio this morning, Boris is doing well because he's managed to shut up for a few weeks. The thing most likely to stop Boris is Boris
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #6027 on: Friday, May 24, 2019, 09:08:21 »

He's calculating, self-serving and devious, but he's not stupid.  He'll have learned his lesson.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #6028 on: Friday, May 24, 2019, 09:18:22 »

Just watched that resignation speech. Genuinely good anecdote about Sir Nicholas Winton telling her that compromise is not a dirty word, a message I think needs to be shouted loudly if we're to return to anything like a functioning government, but a bit rich in that she's spent the last couple of years stubbornly refusing to compromise on absolutely anything.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #6029 on: Friday, May 24, 2019, 09:22:32 »

I would imagine that her famous red lines were not really hers at all, but red lines that she had to adhere to in order to keep the hard-right ERG faction of her party at bay.  So the 'compromise is not a dirty word' quote, if anything, was probably a dig at those who tied her hands in the negotiations.

Any reasonable person would have concluded long ago that implementing any decision made with a 52:48 split would entail a good deal more compromise than has been evident in the last 3 years.
Pages: 1 ... 399 400 401 [402] 403 404 405 ... 880   Go Up
Print
Jump to: