Pages: 1 ... 395 396 397 [398] 399 400 401 ... 880   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 1996055 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #5955 on: Friday, May 3, 2019, 11:18:28 »

Not for much longer as Labour are planning to get rid of the PD potential when  No they get elected.

We'll need to see on that... future Labour policy is likely to be driven by the climate change emergency and the New Green Deal, and within that framework, reusing buildings trying to make them as energy efficient as possible and situated in city/town centres, to reduce the reliance on the car makes sense.
« Last Edit: Friday, May 3, 2019, 11:21:00 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #5956 on: Friday, May 3, 2019, 11:49:08 »

Swindon already has a pretty good Town Centre replacement in the Railway Village/Outlet combo, and assuming they actually build the Snow thingy then I'd just move all the signs and point in that direction.  The old Town Centre should be pushed towards Office friendly development and then support that with Restaurant/Cafe's etc.  That would require knocking down buildings and starting again to make them appealing to companies to use vs out of town offerings (including adding sufficient parking).  That would drive residential developments as well.  Just accept it is gone as it was, and the need for something like that doesn't exist anymore - so get developing the things people do need and want.  The concept of knocking down the Wyvern and replacing it fits in well, you have a little "cultural section" with supporting food establishments and move it more afternoon/evening in usage.

I'd maybe focus around Rodbourne and try and convert some of that area to more pedestrian to link in with the Outlet and encourage a few more up scale dining options and bars around the area.  I know the locals will not accept that though.  Sort of like a new Old Town.  Talking of which, that area is looking quite good these days.
Flashheart

« Reply #5957 on: Friday, May 3, 2019, 11:58:05 »

The SBC actually have an opportunity in that regard. Other nearby towns and cities have already made fairly recent upgrades and spent millions on retail style town centres, something that is now becoming outdated. With Swindon lagging behind, it actually means they have been a little lucky in that they get to plan for a 'new' town centre with more focus on entertainment, food, drink, arts, community etc.

But will they take that opportunity, or will we still be having this same discussion in 10, 15, 20 years time?
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #5958 on: Friday, May 3, 2019, 12:37:32 »

The SBC actually have an opportunity in that regard. Other nearby towns and cities have already made fairly recent upgrades and spent millions on retail style town centres, something that is now becoming outdated. With Swindon lagging behind, it actually means they have been a little lucky in that they get to plan for a 'new' town centre with more focus on entertainment, food, drink, arts, community etc.

But will they take that opportunity, or will we still be having this same discussion in 10, 15, 20 years time?
Given that successive councils of all political makeups have missed every other opportunity over the past 20 years, I think we can answer that with some confidence.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #5959 on: Friday, May 3, 2019, 13:19:17 »

We'll need to see on that... future Labour policy is likely to be driven by the climate change emergency and the New Green Deal, and within that framework, reusing buildings trying to make them as energy efficient as possible and situated in city/town centres, to reduce the reliance on the car makes sense.

It makes sense to you and I, but its not what Labour politicians are telling the planning sector!
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #5960 on: Friday, May 3, 2019, 16:29:24 »

Conservative losses at over 1000 now.

Never knowingly overstated.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #5961 on: Friday, May 3, 2019, 16:37:38 »

Conservative losses at over 1000 now.

Yeah, but they won in Penhill.....
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #5962 on: Friday, May 3, 2019, 16:55:32 »

One of the Councils was described as having moved from no overall control to being controlled by Independents.  Isn't the point of being an Independent that you are not aligned to anyone else?  So essentially it's even more under no overall control!

I see UKIP fell apart - some positive news for the country.

Also good to see the two main parties in a mess, and also that the Libs still don't really know what they are.  Are they becoming a one policy party to counter Farage?  The hope must be that the country figures out it needs a different type of politics - it might be messy getting there though, especially if the next election throws out a result where not even two parties can club together to get control.
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #5963 on: Friday, May 3, 2019, 16:59:38 »

Yeah, but they won in Penhill.....

We'll definitely have to have totally equal coverage saying that its incredibly bad for Labour as well as the Tories.

I know it is bad, I know we should be gaining not losing, but it is 1 tenth of the tory losses.  Im sure the BBC news will try to make it equivalent.

BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #5964 on: Friday, May 3, 2019, 18:04:45 »

Labour gained from Tories in my constituency - Amber Valley. For only the second time this side of 2000. Labour had, however held that seat from 1997 until the fallout of Blair. Judy Mallaber (who was part of his cabinet) was a very good MP, who actually asked questions and raised issues concerning her constituents, in parliament. The "Red Fox" as she was known in these parts, mostly due to her auburn hair and resolute campaigning against fox hunting. It is nice to see AV go "red" again but it is a totally different Labour now from 15-20 years ago.

The Greens gained a first here obtaining a councillor at the expense of a long held Tory seat. People are fed up and those that did vote (Duffield Ward where the Greens won had a 55% turn out). are showing so. Especially on the Tory vote. If we look across the board, Labour look to lose a little but will only be about 50 councillors down. The concern here is that they won't have gained from the Tories overall. That quite clearly has gone to the Lib Dems and a bunch of Indes. Good to see the UKIP "resurrection" fail imo.

The Conservatives though - well we know media will make it look like a bad day for Labour but after 241/248 declared councils, they are 1270 councillors down and have lost 42 councils. Lib Dem currently sit on 666 councillors gained...

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #5965 on: Friday, May 3, 2019, 19:50:55 »

Bad for Labour I think, but good for the Country I hope.  Two party politics always makes things devolve to black and white decisions - don;t agree with the other side because you are not allowed to.  Nothing really changes as we don't work together and you end up in situations where people get ignored completely as a result.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #5966 on: Friday, May 3, 2019, 20:13:04 »

We'll definitely have to have totally equal coverage saying that its incredibly bad for Labour as well as the Tories.

I know it is bad, I know we should be gaining not losing, but it is 1 tenth of the tory losses.  Im sure the BBC news will try to make it equivalent.
Oh, come on. Labour have done very badly. They're the opposition (apparently) to the most inept government in living memory and beyond, they should be hoovering up seats like a whale with plankton. The fact that instead they've also managed to lose seats is a testament to how shit people think they are as well. There is no trust in either of the two main parties, and the fact that I've heard MPs from both parties all day trying to spin their own results in terms of the other ("Labour didn't do well either", "Not as good as we'd hoped but a distaster for the Tories" shows that they still don't get it. They'll both get fucking battered by the electorate and a good thing too. As long as it doesn't let the Toytown fascist, wife beater, dealer, and all round petty criminal and hooligan Robinson/Yaxley-Lennon in.
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #5967 on: Friday, May 3, 2019, 20:26:42 »

Yes.  Labour have done very badly. 

Hence I used the sentence 'I know its bad, I know we should be gaining not losing'. 

pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #5968 on: Friday, May 3, 2019, 20:53:31 »

Yes.  Labour have done very badly. 

Hence I used the sentence 'I know its bad, I know we should be gaining not losing'. 
I was reacting to the idea that the BBC et al would try to (falsely I thought you implied) make out the results were equally as bad. They pretty much are, given where the two parties are. Both had a disastrous night. The Tories' absolute numbers are worse, but that's a fucking terrible performance if Labour have any pretence of forming a government at any point in the near future. The complacency of Labour officials in not seeing this as a massive slap in the face from the electorate is breathtaking.

And if you want to look at the numbers, Labour and Tories are equal in share of the vote, 28% each. To be level pegging with the most shambolic government in living memory on any level is an absolute disaster. So I hope the BBC and all the other media outlets do call this out as being just as bad for Labour as it is the Tories because it is. It's beyond terrible. The Lib Dems and Greens have been the beneficiaries in the locals but Farage will be wanking himself dry about how that kind of performance from the two main parties is going to translate in the Euros
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #5969 on: Friday, May 3, 2019, 21:48:46 »

The Lib Dems and Greens have been the beneficiaries in the locals but Farage will be wanking himself dry about how that kind of performance from the two main parties is going to translate in the Euros

Thanks. You gave me a vision of that rubbery lipped cunt ejaculating. Not a vision I want anyone to have  No

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Pages: 1 ... 395 396 397 [398] 399 400 401 ... 880   Go Up
Print
Jump to: