Pages: 1 ... 365 366 367 [368] 369 370 371 ... 880   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 1996569 times)
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #5505 on: Monday, March 25, 2019, 20:14:16 »

Reg commented that if Parliament can't accept it, and has no mandate for anything else means a default to no deal, which they voted for.

I accepted that and added, mindful of Reg's statement that Parliament had voted for a default to no deal, that ir could not bind itself.  In other words, the default to no deal was amendable or we can still revoke.

I'm  no expert on parliamentary procedure and I think most of us are in uncharted waters.  Thgeoretically, it seems, the speaker could still attempt to block another "meaningful vote" and, of course, Parliament could vote (majority permitting) to override the speaker's ruling.

What fun, eh?

« Last Edit: Monday, March 25, 2019, 20:18:16 by RedRag » Logged
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #5506 on: Monday, March 25, 2019, 22:31:30 »

I'm not sure that Parliament by itself can amend the default to no deal. As you say, we're in uncharted waters to some extent but as I understand it, there's two things preventing Parliament blocking the default to No Deal:
1) Out by March 29th/April 12th is in legislation, that cannot be overridden by indicative motions. So Parliament can vote for skittle-shitting giraffes all it likes, in order to actually change what's on the table, they need to pass legislation and given the purpose of the government is to set the business of the House, I don't think Parliament (as distinct from the govt) can set out legislation. It can pass or block legislation that the govt puts in front of it, but don't think it can move legislation in the first instance. I may well be wrong
2) Probably more germane - no-one in Parliament or the media seems to be acknowledging that even if Parliament can persuade May to abide by their "indicative votes" (and she's already told them to do one) changing everything now isn't in the govt's gift. In order to change the withdrawal agreement, the clue is in the name, agreement, we need to agree that with the EU. We spent (wasted) two years negotiating May's deal with the EU, the EU aren't going to suddenly just accept whatever skittle-shitting fancy Parliament comes up with at the last minute. So the options are: May's deal, no deal or prolonged delay to renegotiate. All this talk of Norway 2.1, Canada ++ etc making it sound like they are concrete options that Parliament can vote for is a load of bollocks. They're not on the table. Shit or get off the pot
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #5507 on: Tuesday, March 26, 2019, 09:00:11 »

I agree with you on both points.

We truly now have "anarchy in the UK" but not in a good way.  It's only a temporary arrangement anyway (imo opinion the backstop trap is rather ramped up).

Brexitist politicians can legitimately go on about Project Fear but they "won" and their unicorn dogma was undeliverable.

I am a dyed in the wool remainer but Brexit could have been deliverable had it been meaningfully obtained or had we had a leader of charisma, integrity and knowledge to put people right as well as, Moses-like, led us away.

That leaving would be technical and gradual so that we could maintain our economic base and a temporary withdrawal agreement would reflect that;  that achieving independence and a more global position could never, under the Conservatives, involve turning our back on key allies such as the USA and the EU.

Only Boris had the charisma, imo, but not the integrity or the knowledge.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, March 26, 2019, 09:15:57 by RedRag » Logged
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #5508 on: Tuesday, March 26, 2019, 16:32:21 »

Will we have to?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-47704345
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #5509 on: Tuesday, March 26, 2019, 16:41:51 »

As long as we pick BST I'll be delighted... can't wait for Sunday.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #5510 on: Tuesday, March 26, 2019, 17:15:47 »

So now the (chlorinated) chickens are getting close to coming home to roost, we now seem to be seeing a split between the hard right in the Tory Party and the far right outside of the Tory Party - Rees-Mogg now saying that May's deal is better than No Brexit at all,

https://www.conservativehome.com/highlights/2019/03/the-moggcast-deal-or-no-brexit-becomes-the-choice-eventually-mays-deal-is-better-than-not-leaving-at-all.html

....while Arron Banks, founder and funder (or at least intermediary for the Russian money) of Leave.EU, is saying May's deal is so bad, and apparently ties us to the EU in all kinds of nasty ways (he reckons) that he'd rather Remain.

https://twitter.com/Arron_banks/status/1110319352463659008

Interesting.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, March 26, 2019, 17:24:25 by pauld » Logged
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #5511 on: Tuesday, March 26, 2019, 19:16:21 »

It's decision time, at last.  Watching the ERG collectively shit its pants and convert to May's deal at the 11th hour is certainly a sight to behold.  I'm glad that the penny has dropped that what they previously considered to be a miserable Pseudo-Brexit really is as good as it gets in the real world.  Someone has finally taken the unicorns round the back to be shot.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #5512 on: Tuesday, March 26, 2019, 19:31:32 »

no surprise there
michael
The Dude Abides

Ignore
« Reply #5513 on: Tuesday, March 26, 2019, 20:08:46 »

There is now another new EU law for us to adopt, as the EU Copyright Directive has been passed: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-47708144

I am no expert but it seems to me to be good for musicians trying to make a bit of money at a time when fewer people are actually buying music.

The UK was apparently instrumental (see what I did there?) in getting this one through.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #5514 on: Wednesday, March 27, 2019, 18:47:27 »

May says she will resign if people back her deal

MP’s who’ve spent the last year vehemently against her deal now lining up in support

Spineless, arrogant, vapid cunts. How the fuck can anyone vote for them? They don’t give a fuck about the country or it’s people. They don’t even give a fuck about Brexit. They care about themselves and they care about power.

Cunts, the lot of them

Things get better but they never get good
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #5515 on: Wednesday, March 27, 2019, 18:53:18 »

All of a sudden, Boris now says he will back her deal!

Bellends
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #5516 on: Wednesday, March 27, 2019, 18:55:08 »

May says she will resign if people back her deal

MP’s who’ve spent the last year vehemently against her deal now lining up in support

Spineless, arrogant, vapid cunts. How the fuck can anyone vote for them? They don’t give a fuck about the country or it’s people. They don’t even give a fuck about Brexit. They care about themselves and they care about power.

Cunts, the lot of them
Surely this isn't a surprise to anyone? Brexit started as a result of an internal Tory party dispute and Cameron putting party before country, hardly a surprise that it continues in the same vein. If you think you've seen selfish venal hypocrites so far, just wait till Johnson gets his hands on the leadership
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #5517 on: Wednesday, March 27, 2019, 19:19:54 »

bunch of cunts though.

terrible deal... oh wait.. leadership contest..
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #5518 on: Wednesday, March 27, 2019, 19:21:38 »

It's the same deal whether she fucks off or not. Remainers and leavers are united it's a shit deal but suddenly when the nutcase leaves it's now a good deal. Fantastic way to do business and fuck the electorate and country.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #5519 on: Wednesday, March 27, 2019, 19:28:53 »

100% right Chalkies
Pages: 1 ... 365 366 367 [368] 369 370 371 ... 880   Go Up
Print
Jump to: