Pages: 1 ... 353 354 355 [356] 357 358 359 ... 881   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 2013849 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #5325 on: Tuesday, March 19, 2019, 09:55:55 »

A lengthy extension of Art 50, means we have to take part in the Euro elections, we could sort of save some money, and use it as a third referendum.  It's proportional rep, so candidates could stand for no deal, Canada ++, managed no deal, Norway, leave but customs union, remain. The negotiated settlement should then take on board the outcome of the PR vote.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #5326 on: Tuesday, March 19, 2019, 18:32:17 »

I think Ardiles mentioned something about our status as a legitimate nation/country/kingdom. While I'm sure it was rather tongue in cheek, after reading a delightfully curious book, 'An Atlas of Countries That Don't Exist'; the suggestion is seemingly much closer (politically) every day.

PS: For those that enjoy cartography, political geography et al. It is an interesting read.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Combe Up

« Reply #5327 on: Tuesday, March 19, 2019, 20:39:03 »

A lengthy extension of Art 50, means we have to take part in the Euro elections, we could sort of save some money, and use it as a third referendum.  It's proportional rep, so candidates could stand for no deal, Canada ++, managed no deal, Norway, leave but customs union, remain. The negotiated settlement should then take on board the outcome of the PR vote.

This is the best idea so far! As long as there is a "leave with no strings" option or "NOTA" i.e. none of the above.

If only the AV referendum had gone the other way. Is it too late to rerun that one too?

Bathtime

Ignore
« Reply #5328 on: Wednesday, March 20, 2019, 10:24:46 »

I work for an Italian printing company and we produce the books in Italy and transport them back to the UK - recently we have been asking our UK customers to supply us with an EORI number to help with the customs - in the event of a No Deal we will need a TSP number and that folks is it....if books have a tariff to be added ( which they don`t ) the customer would receive an invoice from the tax office 4 days after delivery into UK - this is triggered by the TSP - is this the catastrophic cliff edge we are all concerned about...I realize this is only books but...I do wonder who is telling leading us here...??

Bathtime
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #5329 on: Wednesday, March 20, 2019, 10:58:09 »

I work for an Italian printing company and we produce the books in Italy and transport them back to the UK - recently we have been asking our UK customers to supply us with an EORI number to help with the customs - in the event of a No Deal we will need a TSP number and that folks is it....if books have a tariff to be added ( which they don`t ) the customer would receive an invoice from the tax office 4 days after delivery into UK - this is triggered by the TSP - is this the catastrophic cliff edge we are all concerned about...I realize this is only books but...I do wonder who is telling leading us here...??

The whole Brexiteer argument, is that it will make everything better for you, not that it will only perhaps make things slightly worse.... if that was the case why bother?

Clearly your job for a European company wasn't being hindered by being in the EU as Brexiteers would argue.
Bathtime

Ignore
« Reply #5330 on: Wednesday, March 20, 2019, 11:40:05 »

The whole Brexiteer argument, is that it will make everything better for you, not that it will only perhaps make things slightly worse.... if that was the case why bother?

Clearly your job for a European company wasn't being hindered by being in the EU as Brexiteers would argue.

Are the Brexiteers saying that...? I am not sure they are - as this is a trading position this isn`t something that is being argued / discussed - this is more of an illustration that the worrying cliff edge of not being able to receive essential items due to a No deal might be slightly over stressed...?

Bathtime
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #5331 on: Wednesday, March 20, 2019, 12:08:20 »

Are the Brexiteers saying that...? I am not sure they are - as this is a trading position this isn`t something that is being argued / discussed - this is more of an illustration that the worrying cliff edge of not being able to receive essential items due to a No deal might be slightly over stressed...?

Well books probably aren't items that are time essential, I'm sure people can wait a day or 2 longer.... the government has plans in place for more critical items like medecines and isotopes  .... Grayling spent mills on a shipping company with no boats, no harbour and then had to compensate Eurostar, for not considering them for the contract
« Last Edit: Wednesday, March 20, 2019, 12:19:16 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #5332 on: Wednesday, March 20, 2019, 14:43:03 »

This is gold!  From the Guardian:

And earlier the French government spokesman, Benjamin Griveaux, said:

France’s position is simple: the British prime minister must explain to us for how long and what for, and offer us guarantees.  A delay is therefore not automatic nor certain.

If anyone was in any doubt what 'taking back control' really looks like, we are now France's bitch, and will do as the rest of Europe tells us to.

That's the reality of Brexit.  How far we've fallen.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #5333 on: Wednesday, March 20, 2019, 14:46:04 »

Left image: Jan 2017, right image: today

The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #5334 on: Wednesday, March 20, 2019, 15:10:03 »

Got to say, I was more drawn to the story of Putin’s prostitutes.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #5335 on: Wednesday, March 20, 2019, 15:13:57 »

I couldn't get past Treez's pyjamas.  They're awful.
Bathtime

Ignore
« Reply #5336 on: Wednesday, March 20, 2019, 15:20:32 »

This is gold!  From the Guardian:

And earlier the French government spokesman, Benjamin Griveaux, said:

France’s position is simple: the British prime minister must explain to us for how long and what for, and offer us guarantees.  A delay is therefore not automatic nor certain.

If anyone was in any doubt what 'taking back control' really looks like, we are now France's bitch, and will do as the rest of Europe tells us to.

That's the reality of Brexit.  How far we've fallen.

Spot on - sooner we get over that cliff edge the better.....not going to be allowed to happen though - no one gets to leave the Union nobody

Bathtime
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #5337 on: Wednesday, March 20, 2019, 15:23:52 »

This is the future, I'm afraid.  Even after we go over the cliff edge (in or out), we are going to be dictated to by our near neighbours.  Jayo's pic above sums it up succinctly.  Brexit = giving up control, and handing it to others.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #5338 on: Wednesday, March 20, 2019, 16:34:36 »

Got to say, I was more drawn to the story of Putin’s prostitutes.

I'm with you on that... in the words of the Fab Four...

Well the Ukraine girls really knock me out
They leave the west behind
And Moscow girls make me sing and shout
That Georgia's always on my my my my my my my my my mind
Oh, come on
Hu hey hu, hey, ah, yeah
Yeah, yeah, yeah
I'm back in the USSR
You don't know how lucky you are, boys
Back in the USSR
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #5339 on: Wednesday, March 20, 2019, 16:42:03 »

So looking at what Mr Tusk has said it looks like these are the options.

1. Vote for May's deal (and get a short extension to the March 30th leave date)
2. Vote for no deal Brexit

Is it still possible to repeal article 50 or has that ship sailed?

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Pages: 1 ... 353 354 355 [356] 357 358 359 ... 881   Go Up
Print
Jump to: