Pages: 1 ... 351 352 353 [354] 355 356 357 ... 880   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 1995891 times)
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #5295 on: Friday, March 15, 2019, 18:38:05 »

On another note, that woman MP who went to prison, how the fuck does she keep her seat?
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #5296 on: Monday, March 18, 2019, 16:09:28 »

An exciting moment for fans of niche parliamentary procedure (that's just Jacob Rees-Mogg I think) as John Bercow announces that the British parliament effectively has the double (triple in this case) jeopardy rule on legislation and therefore Theresa May can't call another vote on the same deal.

I can see that going down well.

On another note, that woman MP who went to prison, how the fuck does she keep her seat?

Serious answer, the jail term has to be more than 12 months to automatically lose the seat. She can be recalled with 10% of her constituents signing a petition though, which you'd imagine would happen as both local parties support it.
woolster

« Reply #5297 on: Monday, March 18, 2019, 16:21:48 »

the best of it is she turned up to vote last week with a tag on
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #5298 on: Monday, March 18, 2019, 16:22:18 »

An exciting moment for fans of niche parliamentary procedure (that's just Jacob Rees-Mogg I think) as John Bercow announces that the British parliament effectively has the double (triple in this case) jeopardy rule on legislation and therefore Theresa May can't call another vote on the same deal.

I can see that going down well.

Serious answer, the jail term has to be more than 12 months to automatically lose the seat. She can be recalled with 10% of her constituents signing a petition though, which you'd imagine would happen as both local parties support it.

Erskine May, Theresa May not.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #5299 on: Monday, March 18, 2019, 17:42:05 »

This is ####ing comical.  Almost at the point now where we don't really deserve to be a country any more.

Whatever happens with Brexit in the next few weeks, it's obvious that there needs to be a complete rewrite of the Constitution and how Parliament works.  But I'd probably let Scotland & NI go their separate ways first before bothering with any of that.

This is as far from 'taking back control' as it's possible to get.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #5300 on: Monday, March 18, 2019, 17:49:42 »

This is ####ing comical.  Almost at the point now where we don't really deserve to be a country any more.

Whatever happens with Brexit in the next few weeks, it's obvious that there needs to be a complete rewrite of the Constitution and how Parliament works.  But I'd probably let Scotland & NI go their separate ways first before bothering with any of that.

This is as far from 'taking back control' as it's possible to get.

Buckland in his role of Solicitor General has decreed a constitutional crisis....
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #5301 on: Monday, March 18, 2019, 17:56:57 »

Another change of font and line spacing beckons.
michael
The Dude Abides

Ignore
« Reply #5302 on: Monday, March 18, 2019, 17:59:41 »

Seems as good a time as any to repeat my support for HARD REMAIN

So in summary, there is no majority for a deal, there is no majority for no-deal, there is no majority for remain, and there is no majority for another referendum. There is no majority for a change in the leader of the governing party, and there is no majority for a no-confidence vote in the government. With all this in mind, let's get rid of the lot and let the EU run the show: HARD REMAIN.

Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #5303 on: Monday, March 18, 2019, 18:10:36 »

Whatever happens with Brexit in the next few weeks, it's obvious that there needs to be a complete rewrite of the Constitution and how Parliament works.

I agree.

But, as the current clusterfuck shows, good luck getting MPs to vote for that.

The whole reason we're in this current situation is because the majority of the Commons put themselves ahead of their country.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #5304 on: Monday, March 18, 2019, 18:18:06 »

Seems as good a time as any to repeat my support for HARD REMAIN

As things stand we leave the EU in 11 days with no deal.

Popcorn
« Last Edit: Monday, March 18, 2019, 18:20:15 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #5305 on: Monday, March 18, 2019, 18:22:50 »

This is more comical than a Luke Williams defence. Surely may has to be told to fuck off. Most leavers would remain than sign up to her deal which unites remainders and leavers in agreeing it's a pile of shit.
This country is a laughing stock. Parliament is a laughing stock. Both major parties are a laughing stock.
I'd suspend parliament after rescinding article 50. We've waited a while to leave, another couple of years won't hurt. A general election needs to be called but fuck knows how people would vote. You can see the smaller parties hoovering up votes.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #5306 on: Monday, March 18, 2019, 18:56:45 »

I think we're agreed Chalkies, and I'm at the opposite side to you on wanted result.
michael
The Dude Abides

Ignore
« Reply #5307 on: Monday, March 18, 2019, 20:14:15 »

Buckland has, I think, suggested prorogue to get around the rules on repeated votes being presented to parliament. The irony being this would politicise Her Maj and effectively make her one of them unelected bureacrats.

I'm sure it would look good from the outside too.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #5308 on: Monday, March 18, 2019, 20:16:45 »

This is more comical than a Luke Williams defence. Surely may has to be told to fuck off. Most leavers would remain than sign up to her deal which unites remainders and leavers in agreeing it's a pile of shit.
This country is a laughing stock. Parliament is a laughing stock. Both major parties are a laughing stock.
I'd suspend parliament after rescinding article 50. We've waited a while to leave, another couple of years won't hurt. A general election needs to be called but fuck knows how people would vote. You can see the smaller parties hoovering up votes.
Logically you're right - the government isn't functioning and nor is parliament, neither are capable of governing the country. But a delay or even another referendum which I think is a likely outcome of an election would I fear be even more divisive than what we've already seen, difficult though that may be to imagine. I think we're more and more likely to crash out without a deal right now
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #5309 on: Monday, March 18, 2019, 21:02:56 »

Has anyone who doesn't have much of an agenda (because we all do, to a degree) tried to work out how the No Deal scenario would play out?  If there is severe disruption lasting more than a week or two, would No Deal not become politically untenable?  You might just see a few weeks of nonsense followed by a humiliating approach to be let back in.  In fact, if those arguing for this are so certain that No Deal is a catastrophe, should they not welcome the short term dislocation as the price to pay for having the option blow itself to pieces - and then an inevitable return to the EU?
Pages: 1 ... 351 352 353 [354] 355 356 357 ... 880   Go Up
Print
Jump to: