Pages: 1 ... 329 330 331 [332] 333 334 335 ... 880   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 1996066 times)
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #4965 on: Thursday, February 7, 2019, 17:40:38 »

So wedded to freedom of speech is Clegg that he now works for Facebook....

The joy of Facebook.
I once had Jasper Carrott as one of their "friend" suggestions.
Only joined to look at some photos of Panini Calciatori albums that some Italian guy was offering for sale outside of eBay.
(They are works of art by the way.)
I suspect that leaving FB will prove to be much less straightforward than a Brexit negotiation.

As the resources available for law enforcement continue to be eroded, then at some stage, trial, judgement & "execution" by social media night become the reality.
If it isn't already.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #4966 on: Thursday, February 7, 2019, 17:48:44 »

"Remember, Brexit means exit."

Doh

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #4967 on: Thursday, February 7, 2019, 17:49:43 »

Serious question, does Swindon have a large UKIP presence its mainly Tory isn't it, have there been UKIP gains candidates etc?
Not really no. There was a UKIP candidate at the last election, Martin Costello, who took part in the trashing of the lefty bookshop in London along with some serious far-right nutjobs and has spent a lot of time since trying variously to deny it or justify it. He's one of the organisers (or more likely the organiser) of this Swindon Yellow Vest thing, hilariously one of their campaign aims is freedom of speech (always goes well with book burning, that). Then there's an ex Tory, John Short, who used to work for the council who defected to UKIP who's more the conventional old school UKIP.
ReadingRed

Pragmatist clapper

Ignore
« Reply #4968 on: Thursday, February 7, 2019, 18:28:02 »

SRK's pals are getting proper naughty!
Counter protest on Saturday, at the Cenotaph by the Town Hall at 1 p.m. (tempting, but I'll be at MK!)
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #4969 on: Thursday, February 7, 2019, 19:21:28 »

Counter protest on Saturday, at the Cenotaph by the Town Hall at 1 p.m. (tempting, but I'll be at MK!)

Hopefully the Swindon Cenotaph Massacre of 9th Feb 2019 won't detract from the chavtastic shopping experience of the indifferent Brexit voting masses on Saturday afternoon.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #4970 on: Thursday, February 7, 2019, 19:50:55 »

I'm already putting this yellow vest protest thing to the Benny Hill theme tune in my head.  I'll bet it's going to be a sight to behold.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #4971 on: Thursday, February 7, 2019, 20:51:25 »

I'm already putting this yellow vest protest thing to the Benny Hill theme tune in my head.  I'll bet it's going to be a sight to behold.
More likely to be a case of blink and you'll miss it. They only got a couple of dozen loons to the ones in London
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #4972 on: Friday, February 8, 2019, 12:52:39 »

Jesus Wept, no!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-politics-47171829/brexit-cambridge-professor-invites-jacob-rees-mogg-to-naked-debate
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #4973 on: Friday, February 8, 2019, 15:31:39 »

There's a certain irony in the news that if you  in Swindon you now have the longest wait to get a GP appointment in the country.  25% of patients have to wait at least 2 weeks in some cases longer. The irony being of course that GWR medical fund was seen as a forerunner of the NHS, and PMH was the first NHS new build hospital in 1960 as post war austerity started to ease.

Why should this be  Hmmm

« Last Edit: Friday, February 8, 2019, 15:49:42 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #4974 on: Saturday, February 9, 2019, 10:39:18 »

Chris Grayling really should have his own series of The Thick of It

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/feb/09/government-cancels-brexit-ferry-contract-with-no-ship-firm
Flashheart

« Reply #4975 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2019, 10:19:21 »

One thing I find grating is how many are quick to accuse businesses of scare-mongering if they don't mention brexit in a positive light.

How many of these accusers have facts regarding individual businesses? How many have the facts regarding brexit's potential impact overall? How many would know what to make of the facts even if they did have them?
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #4976 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2019, 10:35:08 »

One thing I find grating is how many are quick to accuse businesses of scare-mongering if they don't mention brexit in a positive light.

How many of these accusers have facts regarding individual businesses? How many have the facts regarding brexit's potential impact overall? How many would know what to make of the facts even if they did have them?

Possibly so, I am also rather interested to understand why so many companies are moving certain operations out of the UK at the moment when I keep hearing its nothing to do with Brexit, if so what are we doing wrong....
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #4977 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2019, 10:36:19 »

https://www.buzzfeed.com/alexwickham/blaiklock-farage-brexit-islam

So a couple of days after he came out all in support of them big Nige is now refusing to confirm whether he still supports them?

He's a very indecisive chap that Farage....
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #4978 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2019, 10:55:25 »

Possibly so, I am also rather interested to understand why so many companies are moving certain operations out of the UK at the moment when I keep hearing its nothing to do with Brexit, if so what are we doing wrong....

It's perfectly feasible for the economy to crash and burn, while you're still in the EU, it happened in 08. Therefore it is feasible that the current downturn is more connected to global issues.

Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #4979 on: Tuesday, February 12, 2019, 10:56:09 »

I
He's a very indecisive chap that Farage....

I have developed a morbid fascination with his radio show that goes out on LBC when I am usually driving home from work.  The show always deals with Brexit, and callers to the show are almost always in favour of Brexit.  More often than not, calls start something like 'Alright Nigel, mate.  I've been a supporter of yours for many years.'  (I'm sure the same is true for Remain callers to James O'Brien's show earlier in the day.)

What really strikes me is how passionate and determined the callers are to leave the EU, and how little they fear a No Deal Brexit.  We are hopelessly divided on this as a country.  Since listening to these callers, I have started to wonder whether we are actually going to have to let the slow motion car crash of a No Deal Brexit run its course.  Maybe this is a necessary part of the process?  We are going to have to have this Suez moment where, finally, the penny does actually drop that the country has ceased to function within international norms - before we can emerge from the other side and seek something of a compromise and move on.  It's all too easy to cry 'Project Fear', until the predictions actually start to unfold.
Pages: 1 ... 329 330 331 [332] 333 334 335 ... 880   Go Up
Print
Jump to: