Pages: 1 ... 328 329 330 [331] 332 333 334 ... 880   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 1995768 times)
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #4950 on: Wednesday, February 6, 2019, 09:33:49 »

The Daily Express, the paramilitary wing of the Daily Mail (c) J. Hardy!
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #4951 on: Wednesday, February 6, 2019, 09:57:22 »

The UK fishing industry contributes 0.5% of GDP.  Brexit on the surface would look advantageous, and probably will be in terms of creating maritime nature reserves around our coasts, but will probably do little for massively improving the lot of our fishermen and women. 

Several reasons for this... 1.  Much of our domestic catch isn't fish we Brits like to eat, therefore it gets exported to the EU.... it will now increase in price due to the tariffs put on to protect EU fisherfolk.....

80% of the UK fishing catch is exported, 2/3 of which goes to the EU.

...also, EU fishing quotas which were granted to UK operators have been flogged off to foreign multinationals. That's been allowed to happen by British Government policy, nothing to do with the EU. So Brexit will have little impact on fishermen's livelihoods.

Indeed https://unearthed.greenpeace.org/2018/10/11/fishing-quota-uk-defra-michael-gove/
Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #4952 on: Thursday, February 7, 2019, 09:57:03 »

The Guardian is, for me, the only paper that consistently lays serious claim to being even more absurdly one-eyed than the Mail, but even they manage to get it right occasionally.  Today they scored Boris (along with Farage) as being the person most likely to be residing in Donald Tusk's special hell. 

May is incompetent, Corbyn is clueless & gutless, Davis is stupid & lazy, Rees-Mogg is a fanatic, Farage is Farage, but all of them have at least some claim to be doing what they genuinely believe to be right for the UK. 

It's only Boris, currently sitting on his hands doing/saying/offering fuck all to resolve the mess he helped create, who has demonstrated the most staggeringly self-serving, selfish opportunism.  And yet some people still think he's cute and loveable.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #4953 on: Thursday, February 7, 2019, 10:38:42 »

The Guardian is, for me, the only paper that consistently lays serious claim to being even more absurdly one-eyed than the Mail, but even they manage to get it right occasionally.

I've read a daily Guardian, for many years.  I know what it is like.  One of the key elements is to present a wide range of views from it's columnists, these will range across most of the whole political spectrum, with even the odd far right contributor.  Therefore to call it one eyed is nonsense.  The idea is that readers take in the variety of opinion and then think about it.

Of course the editorial team have their opinions and at certain times express them, like at elections or in key Brexit passages, and although this house view might be seen to be at odds with many of the regular contributors, I suspect regular readers can understand this. 

Hence this plurality of view might be dressed up in a political sense as Liberal.... the present house view, being pro feminist, pro human rights, pro capitalism. pro EU, anti Corbyn.  If such a thing as the SDP still existed, the editorial team would be right behind it seeking Shirley Williams as PM.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #4954 on: Thursday, February 7, 2019, 10:50:44 »

The Guardian is, for me, the only paper that consistently lays serious claim to being even more absurdly one-eyed than the Mail, but even they manage to get it right occasionally.  Today they scored Boris (along with Farage) as being the person most likely to be residing in Donald Tusk's special hell.  

May is incompetent, Corbyn is clueless & gutless, Davis is stupid & lazy, Rees-Mogg is a fanatic, Farage is Farage, but all of them have at least some claim to be doing what they genuinely believe to be right for the UK.  

It's only Boris, currently sitting on his hands doing/saying/offering fuck all to resolve the mess he helped create, who has demonstrated the most staggeringly self-serving, selfish opportunism.  And yet some people still think he's cute and loveable.

I would agree on the whole except the Maybot and the suggestion that she can claim to be doing what she genuinely believes to be right for the UK.  Firstly she voted remain and there are any number of videos knocking about of her saying its a bad idea for just the reasons it is panning out to be a bad idea, likewise her excuse for ploughing ahead is some nonsense about preventing civil unrest, then in the next sentence her government admits that when we leave at the end of next month things could get so lively that the Queen needs to be moved to a safe location. She is a clueless xenophobic opportunist control freak who hates people who don't look or sound like her (see her performance at the Home Office now being perpetuated in No.10), I wonder whether there is a degree of arrogant Christian nutcase about her - what is delightful is that Javid seems to have seen her actions and replied with 'hold my pint' as he is trying to out unpleasant her, obviously concluding that being a bastard to forrins (or perceived forrins) is the best way to get the membership vote in any subsequent leadership election.

Corbyn has officially completely gone round the bend in the last 24 hours, can I just put on record how gloriously bat crap crazy his new 'demands' are, he has ripped up the existing 6 tests policy (must have missed the bit where the membership voted to make this policy in his new cuddly membership led party) and come up with a comedy 5 tests.... the best being

The Labour leader's five demands include a "permanent and comprehensive UK-wide customs union" aligned with the EU's customs rules but with an agreement "that includes a UK say on future EU trade deals".

So we are leaving yet want to be able to have a say on what trade deals a third party organisation can make...  

As for Johnson the BBC have to shoulder a lot of the blame for his cuddly image as they fostered the lovable buffoon stuff on HIGNFY etc.

In conclusion the country is an embarrassing shit show, looking like a dick throughout the world and generally fucked, hopefully all the major parties will implode in the next 6-12 months and perhaps we can start again.

« Last Edit: Thursday, February 7, 2019, 11:04:00 by horlock07 » Logged
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #4955 on: Thursday, February 7, 2019, 14:32:00 »

In all fairness, you can probably limit the area where we look a dick a little, the people over here don't have a Scooby what is going on.
Sir red ken

« Reply #4956 on: Thursday, February 7, 2019, 15:17:07 »

I've read a daily Guardian, for many years.  I know what it is like.  One of the key elements is to present a wide range of views from it's columnists, these will range across most of the whole political spectrum, with even the odd far right contributor.  Therefore to call it one eyed is nonsense.  The idea is that readers take in the variety of opinion and then think about it.

Of course the editorial team have their opinions and at certain times express them, like at elections or in key Brexit passages, and although this house view might be seen to be at odds with many of the regular contributors, I suspect regular readers can understand this. 

Hence this plurality of view might be dressed up in a political sense as Liberal.... the present house view, being pro feminist, pro human rights, pro capitalism. pro EU, anti Corbyn.  If such a thing as the SDP still existed, the editorial team would be right behind it seeking Shirley Williams as PM.

The guardian is an extremist far left communist paper, it only represents a marxist view of the world. As for it being right from time to time, more like once a decade and relating to something arty. With regard to politics, the gardian still pushes the same failed commie dogma of the late 1800s. It never worked but hey ho, a few people will get rich from it so its worth their while, spouting class war, tax the rich, envy politics. Poly Toynbee is a classic example with her tax everyone else but don't touch my wealth and Tuscan villa, she's against private education but attending Badminton School, a girls' independent school in Bristol. That's left wing politics for you do as I say not as I do.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #4957 on: Thursday, February 7, 2019, 15:20:25 »

The guardian is an extremist far left communist paper...

No it isn't.

I didn't bother with the rest of your post.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #4958 on: Thursday, February 7, 2019, 15:21:38 »

The guardian is an extremist far left communist paper, it only represents a marxist view of the world.

Have you come across the Morning Star? I reckon you'd like it.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #4959 on: Thursday, February 7, 2019, 15:33:34 »

The guardian is an extremist far left communist paper, it only represents a marxist view of the world. As for it being right from time to time, more like once a decade and relating to something arty. With regard to politics, the gardian still pushes the same failed commie dogma of the late 1800s. It never worked but hey ho, a few people will get rich from it so its worth their while, spouting class war, tax the rich, envy politics. Poly Toynbee is a classic example with her tax everyone else but don't touch my wealth and Tuscan villa, she's against private education but attending Badminton School, a girls' independent school in Bristol. That's left wing politics for you do as I say not as I do.

With your spelling and grammar I suspect you are in fact a Guardian journalist and claim my £10.*

*Not really I suspect you are a right wing paranoid fantasist, but the gag doesn't work with that. 

ReadingRed

Pragmatist clapper

Ignore
« Reply #4960 on: Thursday, February 7, 2019, 17:02:33 »

SRK's pals are getting proper naughty!
« Last Edit: Thursday, February 7, 2019, 17:10:23 by ReadingRed » Logged
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #4961 on: Thursday, February 7, 2019, 17:04:33 »

No it isn't.

I didn't bother with the rest of your post.

Very wise.

19th Century social and political history is something I like to read or read about.  I know you like a bit of Cobbett and have just finished reading Rural Rides again. What does come through, is Cobbett's personal bravery in trying to be heard in support of the ordinary worker, despite the efforts of the state to undermine him, by locking him up, which was a common response to dissent. One of his cause celebres, was the Peterloo Massacre of 1819, incidentally inflicted by the Yeomanry on a crowd who'd turned up to hear Henry Hunt, a Wiltshireman from Upavon. Wiltshire being a hotbed of dissent.

The Guardian was founded 2 years after Peterloo, by mill owners who were concerned about sedition and revolution, being pursued by other Manchester papers and when those organs were closed down by the Government, their more moderate tone prevailed.  This tone, might be claimed to include a tradition of freedom of speech, like the Cobbett model as a way of preventing extremism.

In 2010, the Guardian backed Clegg...as Ed Millband with his madcap ideas like price caps on utilities such as water, electricity and gas were thought dangerously radical, along with his idea of continued EU membership, but a referendum for any further constitutional changes.

So wedded to freedom of speech is Clegg that he now works for Facebook....
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #4962 on: Thursday, February 7, 2019, 17:21:12 »

SRK's pals are getting proper naughty!

Are you sure that isn't SRK?
Flashheart

« Reply #4963 on: Thursday, February 7, 2019, 17:23:30 »

He seems like an inspiring fellow.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #4964 on: Thursday, February 7, 2019, 17:33:58 »

He seems like an inspiring fellow.

Serious question, does Swindon have a large UKIP presence its mainly Tory isn't it, have there been UKIP gains candidates etc?
Pages: 1 ... 328 329 330 [331] 332 333 334 ... 880   Go Up
Print
Jump to: