Pages: 1 ... 288 289 290 [291] 292 293 294 ... 880   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 1996116 times)
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #4350 on: Tuesday, December 11, 2018, 20:40:51 »

hints those 48 letters are in (or more).
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #4351 on: Tuesday, December 11, 2018, 21:06:10 »

Corbyn keeping quiet is doing the exact same political game playing at the expense of the rest of the country that the tories are doing, and complete lack of leadership. I don’t understand how any labour voter can be happy with his approach (and he’d probably still be behind in the polls)

Things get better but they never get good
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #4352 on: Tuesday, December 11, 2018, 22:02:22 »

hints those 48 letters are in (or more).

Hardly surprising is it? Been hanging on a thread for months.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #4353 on: Tuesday, December 11, 2018, 22:55:59 »

… I know it's more complex than that, but the unwillingness to open up to the totality of the EU concept is what causes the pain, which I never saw changing in the UK, hence thinking getting out was the right thing for the country, politically.  You cannot possibly think it's good for the economy though, that just makes no sense.  The expansion of the economies of the Global Powers has been as a direct result of trade.

As you say, there is a Brit mentality which may commend us to be apart from the EU, politically.  There is evidence however of generational change from an independent to a more collaborative mentality.  Personally, I feel the younger generation's thinking could be better reflected in our mainstream media.

Economically, EU membership has been a massive aid to the UK, as you suggest.  For example, which country would you think has enjoyed the greatest per capita growth in GDP during our EU membership out of:

Germany?
The USA?
The UK?

Yes, us.  (and full credit to us, of course)

Compare that however to where most Brits would guess the UK to rank?  After a regretably negative diet of being told how EU regulation and red tape has held the UK back?

pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #4354 on: Wednesday, December 12, 2018, 08:50:30 »

Well, that's the 48 letters in then. And once more the greater interests of the country are sacrificed to the self-interests of the Conservative Party in sorting out their own internal mess. Or rather continuing to fail to do so. Well done.
brocklesby red

Ignore
« Reply #4355 on: Wednesday, December 12, 2018, 08:52:04 »

So according to May, the Conservatives are the only party to reunite the country. Wasn’t it the Conservatives that divided the country in the first place by calling a referendum.She also claims that the only beneficiaries of tonight’s vote will be Corbyn and McDonald. I would suggest thatJohnson,Gove,Rudd,Davis et al might hope they will also benefit
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #4356 on: Wednesday, December 12, 2018, 08:53:05 »

So according to May, the Conservatives are the only party to reunite the country.
The Conservatives can't even unite the Conservatives.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #4357 on: Wednesday, December 12, 2018, 09:08:06 »

Well, that's the 48 letters in then. And once more the greater interests of the country are sacrificed to the self-interests of the Conservative Party in sorting out their own internal mess. Or rather continuing to fail to do so. Well done.

Struggling with this comment. Are you seriously suggesting that the Torys get behind her? Her plan is shit, she is a terrible leader. I'm surprised they've given her this long.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #4358 on: Wednesday, December 12, 2018, 09:09:41 »

Struggling with this comment. Are you seriously suggesting that the Torys get behind her? Her plan is shit, she is a terrible leader. I'm surprised they've given her this long.
No, I'm suggesting that this is a continuation of the process started by Cameron to put the internal squabbles of the Tory party above the interests of the country. That's why we had the referendum and ended up in this mess.
Sir red ken

« Reply #4359 on: Wednesday, December 12, 2018, 09:38:32 »

No, I'm suggesting that this is a continuation of the process started by Cameron to put the internal squabbles of the Tory party above the interests of the country. That's why we had the referendum and ended up in this mess.
Cameron won a general election with a manifesto pledge for an eu referendum. The country voted in favour of that action at the general election. How was he putting the squabbles of the Con party before the country when he put it to the UK and they voted for him. He then stuck to his pledge and held a referendum which leave won, the only mess is appointing a remainer to stop the process of leaving. Perhaps its better if we never ask the people to vote then we can stay where the globalist tell us we should.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #4360 on: Wednesday, December 12, 2018, 10:11:36 »

I think an alternative view would be that Cameron hoped to marginalise growing UKIP popularity by the referendum promise.  This succeeded.  What he had not perhaps anticipated was the collapse of the Lib Dem vote.  Expecting another Coalition, the view continues, Cameron thought the Lib Dems would prevent or block a referendum, leaving the Tory promise unbroken but also unfulfilled.

You have to recall that the Tory party was clearly majority remainer.  Many MPs change their spots like Brown changed formations and selections.  Watch a few more change their spots again now when, if as expected, a new leader emerges.  The contortions in the stated beliefs and loyalties of many Tory MP's looks set to make compulsive viewing.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, December 12, 2018, 10:19:45 by RedRag » Logged
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #4361 on: Wednesday, December 12, 2018, 10:19:18 »

I think an alternative view would be that Cameron hoped to marginalise growing UKIP popularity by the referendum promise.  This succeeded.  What he had not perhaps anticipated was the collapse of the Lib Dem vote.  Expecting another Coalition, the view continues, Cameron thought the Lib Dems would prevent block a referendum leaving the Tory promise unbroken.

SRK does make a fair point though... despite the machinations which led to this omnishambles, it was voted for, mostly within the rules of our democracy. So Tories and Brexiteers have got what they voted for.

I said a while back the logic of the situation must be a hard Brexit, and presumably the new Tory PM, will have to deliver that.

We'll be alright in Swindon though, as Tory led SBC has contingency plans in place for civil unrest, in case of no deal.

Renard, wouldn't say what the plans are but he has got some  Smiley
« Last Edit: Wednesday, December 12, 2018, 10:28:56 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #4362 on: Wednesday, December 12, 2018, 10:30:50 »

We'd have to agree to disagree about the logic of a hrad Brexit.  My view is that the referendum was explicitly about "membership" and there are many ways of being a non-member.  There are multiple views on what the Leave vote meant.

May hasn't lost yet but if she does, then my view would be that she has only given up the party leadership belt.  Her prime ministerial belt was legitimised by a GE in which the electorate handed the Tories largest single party status under her leadership.

I appreciate there is no constitutional necessity to call a GE where a leader changes but to achieve democrativ legitimacy, I believe this would be necessary.

I would not be comfortable with either alternative but I think Johnson would destroy Corbyn in a GE.

« Last Edit: Wednesday, December 12, 2018, 10:32:41 by RedRag » Logged
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #4363 on: Wednesday, December 12, 2018, 10:32:36 »

I reckon Benny from Crossroads would destroy Corbyn in a GE.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #4364 on: Wednesday, December 12, 2018, 10:33:26 »

Smiley

He might even beat "None of the above"
Pages: 1 ... 288 289 290 [291] 292 293 294 ... 880   Go Up
Print
Jump to: