Pages: 1 ... 282 283 284 [285] 286 287 288 ... 880   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 1995472 times)
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #4260 on: Thursday, December 6, 2018, 18:19:30 »

Gold.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #4261 on: Friday, December 7, 2018, 09:37:23 »

Indeed, something like this video should have been released pre June 2016...

Messages like this were continuously pushed out pre-referendum and they didn't resonate enough to win the vote.  I'd cite two reasons.

Firstly, people believed what they wanted to believe.  On most issues people generally use the facts to help shape their beliefs but not on this one.  Brexit is rather like the capital punishment debate, most people have an entrenched viewpoint and then pick the facts that play to that viewpoint.

Secondly, in their desire to counter the appalling lies and distortions of the Leave campaign (showing my own prejudice here) the Remain campaign underplayed and massaged some of the realities of the EU and where it is heading.  It is already exponentially more federal than when we voted to remain in 1975 and many EU bureaucrats are quite open about their intent to move inexorably to a fully federal Europe.  They do intend to expand eastwards and it's not unreasonable to assume that Turkey joining is a 'when not if' debate.  People could see that.  Pretending in nice gentle Stephen Fry terms that this isn't the case was at best a stretching of reality and it gave people the excuse to dismiss the rest of the case even though it is solidly grounded in facts.
« Last Edit: Friday, December 7, 2018, 09:39:17 by Pax Romana » Logged
mexico red

Demasiado no es demasiado

Ignore
« Reply #4262 on: Friday, December 7, 2018, 09:42:43 »

See you folks, sat on a plane about to take off as I’m emigrating to spain . Getting residency before you fuckwits implode. Shove your Brexit up your arse.

You have 4 months left of free movement then you’re all fucked
Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #4263 on: Friday, December 7, 2018, 09:44:26 »

Fair enough.  Hope Spain works out well for you.
Flashheart

« Reply #4264 on: Friday, December 7, 2018, 09:49:05 »

What you going to do out there Mex? Opening a pub?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #4265 on: Friday, December 7, 2018, 10:16:43 »

See you folks, sat on a plane about to take off as I’m emigrating to spain . Getting residency before you fuckwits implode. Shove your Brexit up your arse.

Good luck with whatever you are doing out there el-Mex
Combe Up

« Reply #4266 on: Friday, December 7, 2018, 10:34:26 »

Did you stay on to listen to Humphreys interview Theresa May at 08:10?  The Maybot needs a reboot.  It was painful to listen to.  No vision, no passion, no message to the listening public.  Just a tired litany of soundbites and jargon.  Left you with the impression that there's no one in charge.

Mr. Humprhys (correct spelling) should be put out to grass. He is awful. Let someone else have a chance in the state-run morning brainwashing exercise.

Also get rid of that cunt David Attenborough and get some fresh blood in on natural history programmes.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #4267 on: Friday, December 7, 2018, 12:01:06 »

Its the normally Tory supporting YouGov which makes it even more shocking...

While I'm sympathetic to the cause, I do think that this presentation could be construed as misleading.  It gives the impression that most of the country now supports Remain - but, of the three options shown, if you were to amalgamate the two Leave options (Deal & No Deal), the picture would be rather different.  If there was a single transferable vote ballot on these three options, I would imagine that No Deal would drop off the ballot first and that most of the votes for that option would be reallocated to Deal.  (Pure guesswork, though.)
REDBUCK

« Reply #4268 on: Friday, December 7, 2018, 13:35:10 »

in more shocking news, someone with entrenched views posts possibly biased information.
REDBUCK

« Reply #4269 on: Friday, December 7, 2018, 13:36:43 »

Good luck, see you if and when you need the health service or come to retire
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #4270 on: Friday, December 7, 2018, 13:48:34 »

I was thinking last evening, Mrs May is now making much that she can negotiate a deal with her party MP's to support her deal, but how is she planning to do this as she cannot change the heads of terms of an agreement without the agreement of the other side (the EU) and how is she going to achieve anything on that basis prior to next Tuesday, so ultimately any agreement with MP's is going to be on a 'you are going to have to trust me on this' basis, I cannot see Dominic Grieve for instance giving her the time of day after she has already shown herself to be something of a stranger to the truth?

In other news I see Priti Patel is now suggesting that we starve Ireland into supporting our position and the RHA are a little bit concerned, although what do they know... https://twitter.com/Haggis_UK/status/1070615160727986176 
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #4271 on: Friday, December 7, 2018, 17:59:56 »

Dumb question alert

This backstop - why can’t there just be an open border with no checks. Goods flow as they do now. Why does being out of the EU means there has to be checks?

This also applies to any border issue. If all countries want frictionless trade just allow things to flow as they do now.

Nobody benefits or is it just the EU making it as difficult as possible.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #4272 on: Friday, December 7, 2018, 18:06:42 »

On Trade - will boil down to having regulations in place that match the receiving country - so we'd have to agree to match EU laws to enable good to be traded without checking them.  Also tariff's.

The trickier thing would be movement of people though - unless you want a totally open border?
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #4273 on: Friday, December 7, 2018, 18:12:58 »

But if you take Switzerland, there are no huge delays entering and exiting into/out of EU countries.

If nobody is actually checking whatever regulations are in place now why and how would things change just because we are no longer in.

As for immigration. There never has been checks on people between Ireland and the UK
« Last Edit: Friday, December 7, 2018, 18:19:10 by The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey » Logged
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #4274 on: Friday, December 7, 2018, 19:29:43 »

Dumb question alert

This backstop - why can’t there just be an open border with no checks. Goods flow as they do now. Why does being out of the EU means there has to be checks?

This also applies to any border issue. If all countries want frictionless trade just allow things to flow as they do now.

Nobody benefits or is it just the EU making it as difficult as possible.

Because it's one of the UK's red lines!  One of the main Brexit objectives, so we're told, is to 'take back control of our borders'.  So leaving the border wide open = the complete opposite of the Leave/Brexit vision entails.
Pages: 1 ... 282 283 284 [285] 286 287 288 ... 880   Go Up
Print
Jump to: