Pages: 1 ... 205 206 207 [208] 209 210 211 ... 880   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 1996193 times)
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #3105 on: Friday, April 6, 2018, 13:39:48 »

I think you’re right.  There is broad support for EU membership in Ireland.  But that isn’t going to stop Unionists (like David Trimble, as in the article) using the border issue as a tool to bring the idea to the fore in to the debate south of the border.

Of course, the DUP will currently decide much of the direction of RoI on Brexit/Irexit. In any case, what sane Government would give their countries people any advisory say on what to do about it's future....  Pint (more beer)

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #3106 on: Friday, April 6, 2018, 13:53:27 »

On my very first visit to Dublin in the late 90’s the taxi driver from the airport to our hotel took great delight in in asking us if we liked the motorway he was driving on. I thought it a bit strange but before I could answer he laughed and said you should as you’ve paid for it..... Well now that the Republic Of Ireland is now a net contributor to the EU and is getting itself slowy out of a Greek style financial hole (our £8b loan helped them lest we forget), it may actually be more advantageous to consider it an exit from the EU, after all it’s second biggest export market in 2016 was the U.K. @ $16.5b which is half the exports to the US @ $33.4b. Interestingly it’s top imports are from the U.K. $22.9b and the US @ $9.6b Let’s also remember the Irish initially voted not to ratify the treaty allowing the 10 newest members into the club. That is until the bully boys from Europe put pressure on them to vote again, not the only ones to have been lent on either. So much for democracy! Still you can maybe understand the carrion calls from the remainers and the EU at large for more referendums on our decision to leave. Yes, shitting themselves, of course this is IMHO.

https://atlas.media.mit.edu/en/profile/country/irl/#Exports

You have some good points and numbers there but simply, much of the infrastructure based within RoI is so because of their membership of the E.U. Companies currently there would very likely move their bases to countries within the E.U (hence my unemployment worsening comment). These are big companies like Google for instance. People in Ireland certainly would be worse off. Tourism would probably go up, which would be good for them but the increase would purely be for the same reasons we go to Turkey or Asia; you get more bang for your buck.

Investment wise though (i'm talking huge sums), big business will not touch it as there would be too much uncertainty. If you know anything about Investment Banking (or just banks in general), you'll know they are very slow to adopt to any changes. When major things happen they want to be sure of the stability of the product. To bring about that partial stability so to speak, for Ireland it would mean pegging the Punt to the GBP. That in itself though wouldn't necessarily be too stable, post-brexit. In effect it would be dragging Ireland economically back to around the 1970s. I don't think the people of Ireland particularly want that. Alas, they probably won't get any say on the matter.

'Incessant Nonsense'

Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #3107 on: Friday, April 6, 2018, 13:58:46 »

Don’t forget the big business’s that moved to ROI did so on the back of lower corporation tax, which run against the EU doctrine of stand alone rates that work against the rest of the EU. Outside the EU they can charge what they like.....
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #3108 on: Friday, April 6, 2018, 17:56:10 »

I think you’re right.  There is broad support for EU membership in Ireland.  But that isn’t going to stop Unionists (like David Trimble, as in the article) using the border issue as a tool to bring the idea to the fore in to the debate south of the border.
JRM rolled this out a few weeks back, conveniently forgetting 1923 and the fact that RoI is a sovereign state and what we may aspire to is entirely irrelevant, in fact to many Irish the fact that we want them to leave will be a rallying cry to make sure they never do.

Just another deluded case of 'sorry chaps we have inadvertently done a massive shit in our own bed, would you mind most awfully doing something that has little benefit for yourselves to help us out'.
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #3109 on: Friday, April 6, 2018, 18:14:55 »

Just another deluded case of 'sorry chaps we have inadvertently done a massive shit in our own bed, would you mind most awfully doing something that has little benefit for yourselves to help us out'.

That is in essence, what I was alluding to. You just did it with much less sentences.  Cheesy

'Incessant Nonsense'

RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #3110 on: Friday, April 6, 2018, 22:04:25 »

JRM rolled this out a few weeks back, conveniently forgetting 1923 and the fact that RoI is a sovereign state and what we may aspire to is entirely irrelevant, in fact to many Irish the fact that we want them to leave will be a rallying cry to make sure they never do.

This.

ROI to debate "freedom" from the EU to accommodate UK red lines?

In the ROI, "freedom" meant saying goodbye to centuries of military occupation by the UK.

I think it equally likely that the ROI will ask the UK to debate NI remaining in the CU and SM to maintain the GFA and for there to be a star wars-like, light touch border between NI and GB.

Notwithstanding plenty of hot air and acrimony over the conflicting principles, I perosnally now expect short and short to medium term economic factors to drive the outcome
« Last Edit: Friday, April 6, 2018, 22:08:19 by RedRag » Logged
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #3111 on: Saturday, April 7, 2018, 08:22:44 »

Irrespective of what you think if the pros & cons make sense to them they may do it. I’m also disappointed you’ve not thrown in the potato famine too.
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #3112 on: Saturday, April 7, 2018, 11:00:51 »

Irrespective of what you think if the pros & cons make sense to them they may do it. I’m also disappointed you’ve not thrown in the potato famine too.

I just knew you'd have to bring art into it in some way  Smiley

See: George Watts, Daniel MacDonald and for common ref. to famine see; Van Gogh.

'Incessant Nonsense'

RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #3113 on: Saturday, April 7, 2018, 11:27:27 »

You're a smart art, bamboo.  The Watts Gallery is just round the corner from me.

So long as the Liffey keeps flowing, our Irish friends will be just fine. Pint

For the record odds on an Irexit before 2027 are 16-1.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #3114 on: Saturday, April 7, 2018, 12:33:52 »

It would never work, the Unicorns would struggle with the climate.
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #3115 on: Saturday, April 7, 2018, 16:17:50 »

You're a smart art, bamboo.  The Watts Gallery is just round the corner from me.

So long as the Liffey keeps flowing, our Irish friends will be just fine. Pint

For the record odds on an Irexit before 2027 are 16-1.

Haha, such a play on words Wink That is pretty cool, I've never been but will do at some point.

Absolutely, they'll be right!  Pint  Pint

'Incessant Nonsense'

pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #3116 on: Tuesday, April 10, 2018, 11:50:20 »

Ha ha, Labour shadow spokesperson for something or other describing their six tests for Brexit as "bollocks":

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/apr/10/labour-minister-barry-gardiner-sorry-good-friday-agreement-shibboleth

Just to prove it's not just the Tories that don't know how to deal with this mess
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #3117 on: Tuesday, April 10, 2018, 14:57:04 »

Ha ha, Labour shadow spokesperson for something or other describing their six tests for Brexit as "bollocks":

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/apr/10/labour-minister-barry-gardiner-sorry-good-friday-agreement-shibboleth

To be fair Gardiner is more pro brexit than Johnson (and Corbyn!) and seems to share they complete misunderstanding of the issue in Ireland and their disregard for the Irish people.

Just to prove it's not just the Tories that don't know how to deal with this mess
« Last Edit: Thursday, April 12, 2018, 15:21:54 by horlock07 » Logged
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #3118 on: Thursday, April 12, 2018, 14:45:45 »

So Jeremy wants a vote in Parliament, as to whether we should wade into Syria with Trump and Macron, and potentially trigger WW III.  May doesn't.  What say you TEF.... is the use of chemical weapons a red line that must have consequences  Hmmm
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #3119 on: Thursday, April 12, 2018, 15:00:43 »

If it was that clear-cut May would go for a vote.

How much of this is about humanitarian issues I wonder.

I'm not a fan of supporting the World Police. I'm not a fan of genocide either.

I think it should go to the vote.
Pages: 1 ... 205 206 207 [208] 209 210 211 ... 880   Go Up
Print
Jump to: