Pages: 1 ... 204 205 206 [207] 208 209 210 ... 880   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 1995837 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #3090 on: Tuesday, April 3, 2018, 13:30:34 »

It should be nobody, but in reality it happens for some reason, so you'd want it to be a fringe thing, but the issue seems to be that it is more than that.  You'd certainly not want an elected MP to be thinking that way.

I'd settle for an MP that thinks at all.

Clearly the current spat is an attempt by the right wing media to discredit Corbyn... they tried the Russian spy/traitor trick but it didn't stick.

Chums of the IRA and Hamas, has a bit more mileage, as JC does like to talk to people.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, April 3, 2018, 13:32:21 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #3091 on: Tuesday, April 3, 2018, 17:53:30 »

Clearly the current spat is an attempt by the right wing media to discredit Corbyn... they tried the Russian spy/traitor trick but it didn't stick.
That's part of the reason it's receiving so much attention, compared to say Jacob Rees-Mogg's links with known anti-Semites in the far-right  (but posh) Traditional Britain Group, which don't make him anti-Semitic either but are much less tenuous than the connection with Corbyn personally. BUT there is substance to the allegations, even Momentum have now admitted there is a real problem with anti-Semitism in the Labour Party and Corbyn's ongoing failure to tackle this has made this an easy stick to beat him/Labour with.

There's a bitter irony though in the Daily Mail, the paper that led with the front page headline "Hurrah for the Blackshirts", having the gall to call anyone out for being anti-Semitic, whether well founded or not
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #3092 on: Wednesday, April 4, 2018, 10:21:05 »

Apart from the fact that the Labour party is demonstrably less anti-Semitic than any other major party in the UK and levels of anti-Antisemitism have reduced since Corbyn became leader.

But that doesn't fit the narrative.

https://evolvepolitics.com/yougov-polls-show-anti-semitism-in-labour-has-actually-reduced-dramatically-since-jeremy-corbyn-became-leader/
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #3093 on: Wednesday, April 4, 2018, 10:34:27 »

Apart from the fact that the Labour party is demonstrably less anti-Semitic than any other major party in the UK and levels of anti-Antisemitism have reduced since Corbyn became leader.

But that doesn't fit the narrative.

https://evolvepolitics.com/yougov-polls-show-anti-semitism-in-labour-has-actually-reduced-dramatically-since-jeremy-corbyn-became-leader/

That's a little bit harsh on the Lib Dems, although you noting 'major party' probably discounts them anyway!

The true kicker in all this are all these people and media outlets baying about this who have precisely zero interest in antisemitism and actually support organisations with a large anti-Semitic membership - off the top of my head, one of May's bezzie mates writing an antisemitic piece that appeared on the front of the Telegraph - now conveniently forgotten.

But hey ho, there is an entirely unconnected election coming up and I suppose we should be pleased that the Tories are so rattled about this.

Personally I hope none of them win.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #3094 on: Wednesday, April 4, 2018, 11:49:17 »

I did think about about changing the wording once I'd seen the data on the Libdems but thought it might rustle some centrist jimmies Smiley

Ignore
« Reply #3095 on: Wednesday, April 4, 2018, 21:26:09 »

Bullshit Boris lying as usual then regarding porton down. The man is not a loveable buffoon at all. He's a devious evil bastard
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #3096 on: Wednesday, April 4, 2018, 21:51:15 »

Bullshit Boris lying as usual then regarding porton down. The man is not a loveable buffoon at all. He's a devious evil bastard

He's the above the highest order of Cock Womble that is possibly available.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #3097 on: Thursday, April 5, 2018, 09:13:35 »

Scroll down this page and watch the video.

Video proof that Boris lied and the BBC are covering it up.

https://skwawkbox.org/2018/04/04/exclusive-smoking-gun-video-bbc-trying-to-help-boris-johnson-keep-his-job-sackborisjohnson/
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #3098 on: Thursday, April 5, 2018, 10:02:54 »

Scroll down this page and watch the video.

Video proof that Boris lied and the BBC are covering it up.

https://skwawkbox.org/2018/04/04/exclusive-smoking-gun-video-bbc-trying-to-help-boris-johnson-keep-his-job-sackborisjohnson/

Whilst the basic premise is correct, although not exactly new news, Skwawkbox is to the left what Guido or Breitbart is to the right.

If the BBC have something to get their knickers in a twist about at the moment its some of the stuff that Carole Cadwalladr is digging up about certain prominent BBC 'journalists' hidden links to the Leave campaign (The Addison Club anyone?) and thus the impartiality of some of their reporting, especially when you consider their reporting of the whole Cambridge Analytica - Aggregate IQ - SCL story and compare it with Channel 4 and the reporting in much of the rest of the world - it was big news in Canada days before the BBC even mentioned it.
Flashheart

« Reply #3099 on: Thursday, April 5, 2018, 10:37:12 »

I love how to beeb guy tried to claim they couldn't find the clip in which Boris lied.

Not tried youtube then?
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #3100 on: Thursday, April 5, 2018, 11:27:51 »

Blair forewarded the dodgy dossier claiming that Saddam continued "beyond doubt" to be producing WMD.

Ring a bell, Boris?

Two lying liars is no surprise but it is pitiful that we can no longer rely on the BBC to report simple facts.

Does it mean I now have to watch RT (Russia Today) just so that some fearful twats at the Beeb can keep their jobs and receive their knighthoods?

Kudos to Greg Dyke, Gavyn Davies, Andrew Gilligan and the late Dr David Kelly
« Last Edit: Thursday, April 5, 2018, 11:29:23 by RedRag » Logged
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #3101 on: Friday, April 6, 2018, 12:11:21 »

The position-taking of both sides to the Brexit debate in Ireland (N & S) is becoming very interesting.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/apr/06/david-trimble-ireland-risks-provoking-paramilitaries-over-post-brexit-border

Starting to look, to me at least, as if the Unionist side is using the border issue as a tool to encourage the Republic of Ireland to consider leaving the EU as well.  Of course if they were to leave also, border issue = solved.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #3102 on: Friday, April 6, 2018, 13:26:57 »

The position-taking of both sides to the Brexit debate in Ireland (N & S) is becoming very interesting.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/apr/06/david-trimble-ireland-risks-provoking-paramilitaries-over-post-brexit-border

Starting to look, to me at least, as if the Unionist side is using the border issue as a tool to encourage the Republic of Ireland to consider leaving the EU as well.  Of course if they were to leave also, border issue = solved.
[/b]

I guess that's the biggest snagging point. I don't think RoI wants to leave the E.U. It quite possibly could be an even more difficult transition for them as they are not only tied via the E.U but also their Eurozone currency. This could be affected and have greater economical implications for them. For e.g If they reverted to the Punt it would be at a low value (for sometime I would guess) and that value would also impose on the average residents assets, like their home. Interests rates, mortgage debt and inflation would all rise. I would hazard a guess that unemployment would get worse (before it got better).

We could point to Argentina to see how being closed out of the market still affects them today. They may have had a low GDP (by defaulting) but 15+ years of pretty much full market lock out, still lingers on. Even though signs may have got better, more recently, many businesses are unwilling/cautious to plough funds into investment banking in Argentina.

This is my opinion and not an opinion poll; I think RoI likes being in the E.U and having the Euro also.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #3103 on: Friday, April 6, 2018, 13:32:18 »

On my very first visit to Dublin in the late 90’s the taxi driver from the airport to our hotel took great delight in in asking us if we liked the motorway he was driving on. I thought it a bit strange but before I could answer he laughed and said you should as you’ve paid for it..... Well now that the Republic Of Ireland is now a net contributor to the EU and is getting itself slowy out of a Greek style financial hole (our £8b loan helped them lest we forget), it may actually be more advantageous to consider it an exit from the EU, after all it’s second biggest export market in 2016 was the U.K. @ $16.5b which is half the exports to the US @ $33.4b. Interestingly it’s top imports are from the U.K. $22.9b and the US @ $9.6b Let’s also remember the Irish initially voted not to ratify the treaty allowing the 10 newest members into the club. That is until the bully boys from Europe put pressure on them to vote again, not the only ones to have been lent on either. So much for democracy! Still you can maybe understand the carrion calls from the remainers and the EU at large for more referendums on our decision to leave. Yes, shitting themselves, of course this is IMHO.

https://atlas.media.mit.edu/en/profile/country/irl/#Exports
« Last Edit: Friday, April 6, 2018, 13:39:26 by Legends-Lounge » Logged
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #3104 on: Friday, April 6, 2018, 13:33:52 »

I think you’re right.  There is broad support for EU membership in Ireland.  But that isn’t going to stop Unionists (like David Trimble, as in the article) using the border issue as a tool to bring the idea to the fore in to the debate south of the border.
Pages: 1 ... 204 205 206 [207] 208 209 210 ... 880   Go Up
Print
Jump to: