Pages: 1 ... 190 191 192 [193] 194 195 196 ... 880   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 1995364 times)
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #2880 on: Friday, February 23, 2018, 17:23:59 »

You are taking the piss now, or just very ironically referenced trolling...

So.... you have linked to a story in the hard line Brexit bleating Daily Mail, now I am not sure if you are aware (I suspect not) that the editor of the EU hating Daily Mail is a chap called Paul Dacre, who despite his many protestations about the EU and in this case subsidies has received... wait for it...

EU subsidies of at least £460,000 since 2011

Oh and the Daily Mail might just be such a cheerleader for Brexit as it is owned by an offshore Trust (so avoids UK tax, they won't be contributing to Mandelson's pension!) a tax avoidance process which, yeah you have guessed the EU are seeking to prevent - so no vested interests there.

As you bought up subsidies lets look at James Dyson, a strident Brexiteer and all round good egg for Britain (although possibly not so much as to keep his production here, nah he took it abroad!). now he received £1.6m in 2016, perhaps its now becoming clear while oily Gove is now suddenly so keen to confirm that subsidies will remain when we have gone.

But please keep banging the drum for the real elite, they need cannon fodder to get the message across.

Flashheart

« Reply #2881 on: Friday, February 23, 2018, 17:25:11 »

Show us a ‘news organisation’ that you can link with those words?

I can't. They're all cunts so I wouldn't do such a ridiculous thing. Do you know what a tu quoque fallacy is?
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #2882 on: Friday, February 23, 2018, 17:25:45 »

The Evening Advertiser!
Flashheart

« Reply #2883 on: Friday, February 23, 2018, 17:26:58 »

The Evening Advertiser!

Cheesy
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #2884 on: Friday, February 23, 2018, 17:27:15 »

I can't. They're all cunts so I wouldn't do such a ridiculous thing. Do you know what a tu quoque fallacy is?
Isn't it essentially a clever way of saying straw man?
Sir red ken

« Reply #2885 on: Friday, February 23, 2018, 17:29:12 »

The ever reliable Huffingtonpost or BuzzFeed.
Flashheart

« Reply #2886 on: Friday, February 23, 2018, 17:35:30 »

Isn't it essentially a clever way of saying straw man?

No, it's not a strawman. A strawman is misrepresenting your opponent's arguments and using it against them. e.g.: "I don't think Power's that bad". To which a strawman reply would be: "Oh, so you're happy to be in L2 then?"

Tu Quoque is basically somebody saying "what about you then?" when they are challenged on something as if it excuses them. e.g: "The mail is shit", to which a tu quoque reply would be "What about the Guardian then?" It's a fallacy because although the Guardian is, indeed, shit, that doesn't address the claim that the Mail is shit.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #2887 on: Friday, February 23, 2018, 17:38:24 »

You are taking the piss now, or just very ironically referenced trolling...

So.... you have linked to a story in the hard line Brexit bleating Daily Mail, now I am not sure if you are aware (I suspect not) that the editor of the EU hating Daily Mail is a chap called Paul Dacre, who despite his many protestations about the EU and in this case subsidies has received... wait for it...

EU subsidies of at least £460,000 since 2011

Oh and the Daily Mail might just be such a cheerleader for Brexit as it is owned by an offshore Trust (so avoids UK tax, they won't be contributing to Mandelson's pension!) a tax avoidance process which, yeah you have guessed the EU are seeking to prevent - so no vested interests there.

As you bought up subsidies lets look at James Dyson, a strident Brexiteer and all round good egg for Britain (although possibly not so much as to keep his production here, nah he took it abroad!). now he received £1.6m in 2016, perhaps its now becoming clear while oily Gove is now suddenly so keen to confirm that subsidies will remain when we have gone.

But please keep banging the drum for the real elite, they need cannon fodder to get the message across.

TBF to Dyson, he'll probably look favourably at Britain again, once all the worker's rights legislations are removed, and we can undercut  the Far East sweat shops.  Surely one of aims of hard Brexit...
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #2888 on: Friday, February 23, 2018, 18:02:54 »

Isn't it Rees-Mogg for "whataboutery"?
Flashheart

« Reply #2889 on: Friday, February 23, 2018, 18:07:22 »

Isn't it Rees-Mogg for "whataboutery"?

In a nutshell. Yes.
hobodan

Ignore
« Reply #2890 on: Friday, February 23, 2018, 18:09:37 »

No, it's not a strawman. A strawman is misrepresenting your opponent's arguments and using it against them. e.g.: "I don't think Power's that bad". To which a strawman reply would be: "Oh, so you're happy to be in L2 then?"

Tu Quoque is basically somebody saying "what about you then?" when they are challenged on something as if it excuses them. e.g: "The mail is shit", to which a tu quoque reply would be "What about the Guardian then?" It's a fallacy because although the Guardian is, indeed, shit, that doesn't address the claim that the Mail is shit.

in fairness it wasn’t the op that asked. You ridiculed a link to a news organisation, and my point was they all have their agenda biases. Objecting to the point made by the op may have been a better tactic
Flashheart

« Reply #2891 on: Friday, February 23, 2018, 18:15:53 »

in fairness it wasn’t the op that asked. You ridiculed a link to a news organisation, and my point was they all have their agenda biases. Objecting to the point made by the op may have been a better tactic

Wut?

I did object to his 'point', that's how this little dialogue started. I think everybody else got that clearly enough.

in fairness it wasn’t the op that asked.

I know. You did. And I responded accordingly.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #2892 on: Monday, February 26, 2018, 12:11:21 »

So it looks like Labour are going for keeping the UK pretty much in the Customs Union.  Smart  move, should cause the fissures in the Tory Party to blow, and perhaps force a General Election.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #2893 on: Monday, February 26, 2018, 12:57:02 »

So it looks like Labour are going for keeping the UK pretty much in the Customs Union.  Smart  move, should cause the fissures in the Tory Party to blow, and perhaps force a General Election.
Smart move? Might not look like that to a substantial portion of the Labour core that voted for Brexit. Looks like a cynical political manoeuvre with no pretence at principle of the very kind the Corbynites (rightly) accuse the Blairites and Tories of
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #2894 on: Monday, February 26, 2018, 14:16:39 »

Smart move? Might not look like that to a substantial portion of the Labour core that voted for Brexit. Looks like a cynical political manoeuvre with no pretence at principle of the very kind the Corbynites (rightly) accuse the Blairites and Tories of

Well we'll have to see how the Labour core vote reacts at an election.  I'm fairly sure at the time of the referendum, not too many were agonising about the finer points of tariff barriers.
Pages: 1 ... 190 191 192 [193] 194 195 196 ... 880   Go Up
Print
Jump to: