Pages: 1 ... 182 183 184 [185] 186 187 188 ... 880   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 1996604 times)
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #2760 on: Tuesday, December 5, 2017, 17:10:12 »

I'm becoming increasingly irritated by Corbyn's silence.  The time for 'constructive ambiguity' is over.  Someone tell him, please, that there is a lot going on in the news at the moment.  Much as it might be tempting to sit back and watch the Tories commit suicide in plain view, now might be a good time to show a little leadership and to champion an outcome that might benefit your support base.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #2761 on: Tuesday, December 5, 2017, 17:23:24 »

I think that the present Labour tactic is to commit to absolutely nothing and wait until Brexit goes royally tits up and then finally come out, sadly this means that the floating electorate has no clue what they actually stand for on the major issues affecting the Country.

Unfortunately this has its down side, despite the manner in which the Corbynistas have persuaded themselves they won the election, at this point in the electoral cycle standing a couple of points ahead of a party without a credible leader that is imploding in front of the electorate and are telling blatant lies (and getting rumbled doing so) and is riddled with sleeze, international embarrassment and internal strife says rather a lot, Labour should be streets ahead and they ain't, you can blame the media as much as you like but if the floating voters don't get it, therein lies a major problem that Labour are failing to address and I suspect could come back and bite them on the arse when real decisions have to be taken.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #2762 on: Tuesday, December 5, 2017, 17:33:56 »

I think we are generally saying the same here although I would observe that taking an opportunity to kick back at decades of being taken for granted by punching yourself in the face does seem either ill informed or rather extreme.  
The former I'd suggest. As a nation, we have been very badly served by our media and political leadership over the last few decades. We are increasingly ignorant.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #2763 on: Tuesday, December 5, 2017, 18:43:22 »

We are increasingly ignorant.

Stop sneering!  Wink Cheesy
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #2764 on: Tuesday, December 5, 2017, 21:19:24 »

Stop sneering!  Wink Cheesy
Smiley It was the royal we, I was acknowledging I'm a fucking idiot
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #2765 on: Wednesday, December 6, 2017, 22:45:57 »

So David Davis and the Chancellor have admitted today that
a) They haven't got a fucking clue what the outcome of Brexit will actually be
b) They haven't actually planned anything
c) The government haven't even agreed on what they'd like the outcome to be, much less have any fucking clue of how they'd achieve it

If as the saying goes we get the government we deserve in a democracy, we must all have been extremely bad because leaving any partisan considerations aside, this lot are a complete fucking shambles. And not even shamefaced about admitting it.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #2766 on: Wednesday, December 6, 2017, 23:53:29 »

So David Davis and the Chancellor have admitted today that
a) They haven't got a fucking clue what the outcome of Brexit will actually be
b) They haven't actually planned anything
c) The government haven't even agreed on what they'd like the outcome to be, much less have any fucking clue of how they'd achieve it

If as the saying goes we get the government we deserve in a democracy, we must all have been extremely bad because leaving any partisan considerations aside, this lot are a complete fucking shambles. And not even shamefaced about admitting it.

Davis's loss of the 58 studies on the economic impact of Brexit on sectors of the economy, is a classic. It's OK though we'll do some more once it's happened.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #2767 on: Thursday, December 7, 2017, 00:25:15 »

Davis's loss of the 58 studies on the economic impact of Brexit on sectors of the economy, is a classic. It's OK though we'll do some more once it's happened.
Well you say "loss", but perhaps you're not being entirely fair. Did he lose them? Did they even exist at all? Do we even need any actual facts or information in this post-truth Johnson/Gove world? Who knows? Certainly, not David Davis a man who would clearly struggle to find his own arse with both hands, even if such an arse actually existed*

* It does, and it's called Liam Fox
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #2768 on: Thursday, December 7, 2017, 07:47:10 »

well, to my mind there's two things that could have happened

1. he made them up
2. the are so damning that getting the flack for pretending they are made up is preferable to surrendering to the pressure on  releasing them.

I have a third theory that the Tories are trying to take a drive and leave labour with the brexit mess, while labour are pulling punches because they don't want it either. But surely not.
michael
The Dude Abides

Ignore
« Reply #2769 on: Thursday, December 7, 2017, 09:40:40 »

Davis suggested that any economic impact assessments would be pretty much useless as Brexit is a "paradigm change". In passing he mentioned the global economic downturn, as another un-seen event in modelling.

Personally, I think there's nothing sinister here, he's just a very lazy man. I can relate to that.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #2770 on: Thursday, December 7, 2017, 10:07:58 »

When I previously worked for the government (it was officially a public corporation) I was not allowed to get out of my car on site without completing a risk assessment, yet apparently we can do something like this which affects 60m+ people with no clue or consideration of the risks.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #2771 on: Thursday, December 7, 2017, 10:33:56 »

Personally, I think there's nothing sinister here, he's just a very lazy man.
Oh I agree, lazy, incompetent and vain. No wonder he gets on well with Boris
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #2772 on: Thursday, December 7, 2017, 11:27:14 »

When I previously worked for the government (it was officially a public corporation) I was not allowed to get out of my car on site without completing a risk assessment

This is not a joke is it?
Were you working with nuclear materials at Aldermaston, or driving a monster truck?
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #2773 on: Thursday, December 7, 2017, 12:03:09 »

This is not a joke is it?
Were you working with nuclear materials at Aldermaston, or driving a monster truck?

Working on the canals, to be honest it was a very quick process and quite useful at making you stop and think before you started work, it was not onerous at all.

(and I may have often filled the book in at the end of the week!!)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #2774 on: Friday, December 8, 2017, 11:07:08 »

Right so the Brexit issues of divorce bill, Ireland, ECJ and citizen's rights have been fudged, so now time to move on to trade negotiations.
Pages: 1 ... 182 183 184 [185] 186 187 188 ... 880   Go Up
Print
Jump to: