Pages: 1 ... 181 182 183 [184] 185 186 187 ... 880   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 1996275 times)
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #2745 on: Tuesday, December 5, 2017, 11:27:55 »

I don’t think it’s a shock that a sizeable proportion of those who voted to leave are intellectually challenged
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #2746 on: Tuesday, December 5, 2017, 11:37:02 »

I know of a lot of people from West Yorkshire who voted leave purely on the basis that it would apparently mean 'less Asians coming over here', they are in for a shock.

TBF Farage did say during the ref campaign that the Euro immigrants would be replaced by sub continental immigrants, which probably explains the out vote from Asian communities.

Flashheart

« Reply #2747 on: Tuesday, December 5, 2017, 12:04:26 »

Had an argument about that with someone on FB. Literally they didn't know < 50% of migrants were from inside the EU. Then they didn't know the % of those that contributed positively to our economy. It was like South Park "dey took urrrrr jooobs".

I found myself watching some documentary a while back. One character that was a focus of the doc was some young bloke, he was clearly not very well educated.

Throughout the documentary he was bemoaning the fact that he wasn't in work because: "their taking are jobz'. One example he used was a restaurant selling European food (Portuguese I think? I forget). It was probably run by foreigners, and possibly staffed by foreigners. I dunno, I'm just guessing. Anyway.

It was clear that the fact these people were actually CREATING jobs, and not taking them, was completely lost to this particular specimen. Explain it to him and I'm sure it would still not have registered. I'm sure he would have just glazed over and repeated his mantra of: 'but there'yre taking are jobz".

Just think. The votes of people like this hold just as much influence as yours.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #2748 on: Tuesday, December 5, 2017, 12:13:33 »

Just think. The votes of people like this hold just as much influence as yours.

Quite rightly, it should do.

It is reckoned that Remain lost the Ref, as there were large numbers of people voting who felt they had nothing to lose and wanted to put 2 fingers up to the political establishment.  However nothing is a relative term....
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #2749 on: Tuesday, December 5, 2017, 13:15:53 »

It was clear that the fact these people were actually CREATING jobs, and not taking them, was completely lost to this particular specimen. Explain it to him and I'm sure it would still not have registered. I'm sure he would have just glazed over and repeated his mantra of: 'but there'yre taking are jobz".
A Pole employing 30 + people in Eastbourne was conversing in German with a German "prospect" on the train.  He was on his way from London to Eastbourne going to the Christmas party he had laid on for his employees and their other halves.  He had to listen to a bloke moaning about him and his prospect for speaking German and taking British jobs only to meet the stupid twat later.  The "other half" of one of his employees.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #2750 on: Tuesday, December 5, 2017, 13:51:10 »

I don’t think it’s a shock that a sizeable proportion of those who voted to leave are intellectually challenged
And by your very own words, you have just dumped yourself in with the ‘intellectually challenged’ you so desperately wanted to distance yourself from. 😂
Flashheart

« Reply #2751 on: Tuesday, December 5, 2017, 14:00:23 »

Quite rightly, it should do.

Sure, but that doesn't make it any less terrifying.

It's not so much the conclusion (regardless of whether or not I agree), but the reasoning behind it that puts the willies up me. Such a thing is beyond opinion, it's just plain factually erroneous. It's the kind of thing that would compel me to vote myself if I were able to.

I like to think though that maybe the books are balanced at last a little with equally ridiculous 'reasoning' leading people to vote the other way.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #2752 on: Tuesday, December 5, 2017, 14:11:33 »

That's just snobbery. It's that kind of attitude from the elite that led to many voting leave in the first place.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #2753 on: Tuesday, December 5, 2017, 15:04:33 »

That's just snobbery. It's that kind of attitude from the elite that led to many voting leave in the first place.

When you say elite do you mean the metropolitan elite who on the whole base their opinions on facts and research, or the Brexit Elite who just lead those who blindly look p to them to their own detriment whilst making money on the disruption it causes?
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #2754 on: Tuesday, December 5, 2017, 15:20:49 »

When you say elite do you mean the metropolitan elite who on the whole base their opinions on facts and research, or the Brexit Elite who just lead those who blindly look p to them to their own detriment whilst making money on the disruption it causes?
I mean the elite who neglected the concerns of whole swathes of the population for years and then assumed they would vote "the right way" because they'd been told to so didn't even really bother to make much of a case for their cause because it seemed to them that it was just obvious and, well, there was no alternative was there? Except there was. That elite.

Just because the Brexiteers are a bunch of loathsome self-serving hypocrites, doesn't mean their erstwhile opponents are any less so.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, December 5, 2017, 15:24:17 by pauld » Logged
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #2755 on: Tuesday, December 5, 2017, 16:06:46 »

Just because the Brexiteers are a bunch of loathsome self-serving hypocrites, doesn't mean their erstwhile opponents are any less so.

I suppose that the EU is starting to look at tax avoidance in some of the British Isles and overseas dependencies, has nothing to do with the Brexiteers desire to rush to the cliff edge  Hmmm   probably just coincidence.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #2756 on: Tuesday, December 5, 2017, 16:23:55 »

I mean the elite who neglected the concerns of whole swathes of the population for years and then assumed they would vote "the right way" because they'd been told to so didn't even really bother to make much of a case for their cause because it seemed to them that it was just obvious and, well, there was no alternative was there? Except there was. That elite.

Issue is we are where we are...

The problem for people like me is that as it stands Labour is currently behaving in a way which, in the long term, acts explicitly against the best interests of its members (bluntly, the poor will continue to get poorer), whilst the Tories are acting in a way which is explicitly against the best interests of anyone who is disadvantaged (the rich will continue to get richer). Both issues could be solved by bold leadership, but so in thrall are our politicians to this specious concept of ‘the will of the people’, that we have only apologists, followers and deserters taking the stand.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #2757 on: Tuesday, December 5, 2017, 16:25:31 »

I suppose that the EU is starting to look at tax avoidance in some of the British Isles and overseas dependencies, has nothing to do with the Brexiteers desire to rush to the cliff edge  Hmmm   probably just coincidence.

I suspect as coincidental as the fact that in the majority of cases those stridently pushing hard brexit at all costs are funded by those who stand to do well in disrupted markets, see the Legatum bunch for example.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #2758 on: Tuesday, December 5, 2017, 16:44:03 »

Issue is we are where we are...

The problem for people like me is that as it stands Labour is currently behaving in a way which, in the long term, acts explicitly against the best interests of its members (bluntly, the poor will continue to get poorer), whilst the Tories are acting in a way which is explicitly against the best interests of anyone who is disadvantaged (the rich will continue to get richer). Both issues could be solved by bold leadership, but so in thrall are our politicians to this specious concept of ‘the will of the people’, that we have only apologists, followers and deserters taking the stand.
I don't disagree with any of that. I just objected to Abrahammer sneering at people who'd voted Leave. Whichever side you voted, we were all conned/let down by the political "leadership" of this country and are continuing to be so. The ire and contempt should be directed at those who've sold us all down the river for their own interests, not at people who saw an opportunity to kick back at decades of being taken for granted and took it.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #2759 on: Tuesday, December 5, 2017, 16:51:20 »

I don't disagree with any of that. I just objected to Abrahammer sneering at people who'd voted Leave. Whichever side you voted, we were all conned/let down by the political "leadership" of this country and are continuing to be so. The ire and contempt should be directed at those who've sold us all down the river for their own interests, not at people who saw an opportunity to kick back at decades of being taken for granted and took it.

I think we are generally saying the same here although I would observe that taking an opportunity to kick back at decades of being taken for granted by punching yourself in the face does seem either ill informed or rather extreme. 
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 183 [184] 185 186 187 ... 880   Go Up
Print
Jump to: