Pages: 1 ... 179 180 181 [182] 183 184 185 ... 880   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 1996399 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #2715 on: Wednesday, November 15, 2017, 09:55:31 »

First I've heard of it, but if the Swindon general public are as thick as the average Swindon fan they'll probably be happy about it.

I remember on the ref night when the Swindon result came in being very surprised that Swindon voted out especially as so many jobs are reliant on the EU markets.

However thinking a bit more about it, I've known plenty of people who've done a stint in Honda, and they all hated it. Besides jobs, Honda have never brought anything to the town in a cultural sense, aside perhaps from a decent sushi restaurant up at Stanton House. 

As the article says 350 lorries a day is a lot of HGV, plus a high and growing % of immigrant workers, who will be happy enough to follow the work to Slovakia or somewhere similar, and there are plenty who would be happy to see them and Honda go.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #2716 on: Wednesday, November 15, 2017, 11:55:49 »

Thanks Reg, that is exactly what I meant.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #2717 on: Wednesday, November 15, 2017, 12:57:12 »

Discuss....

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/nov/14/sex-slang-steak-views-leave-remain-worlds-apart
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #2718 on: Wednesday, November 15, 2017, 18:58:26 »

I mean basically all of that correlates to "leave voters are older", doesn't it?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #2719 on: Wednesday, November 15, 2017, 19:21:56 »

Nearly a quarter of Brexit leave voters don't know how to cook steak. if that's not damming on Brexit I don't know what is.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #2720 on: Wednesday, November 15, 2017, 19:24:57 »

Just out of interest how is this being reported and going down in Swindon?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/nov/14/honda-uk-warns-mps-of-consequences-of-leaving-eu-customs-union

A rerun of the dire threats issued by Honda to the UK government before the inception of the €?, (because McBroon wouldn’t acquiesce to Bliar & not sign the UK up for joining), and then became a millstone around the necks of every European country except Germany.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #2721 on: Thursday, November 16, 2017, 09:24:10 »

A rerun of the dire threats issued by Honda to the UK government before the inception of the €?, (because McBroon wouldn’t acquiesce to Bliar & not sign the UK up for joining), and then became a millstone around the necks of every European country except Germany.

Your point is all the more valid as you have copied funny names for the key protagonists....
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #2722 on: Wednesday, November 29, 2017, 10:48:31 »

So it looks like we've agreed a £ 50 Billion divorce settlement with the EU, not a bad price, about the same as bailing out RBS a few years back.  The Irish border looks more difficult to sort mind.

LucienSanchez

Is this hospital called St. Croc of Shit?!

Ignore
« Reply #2723 on: Wednesday, November 29, 2017, 11:27:37 »

Paying to leave a huge trading bloc, so we can negotiate a worse deal with the same trading bloc. Brexit is shambolic suicide.

We made a promise we swore we'd always remember... no retreat, baby, no surrender
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #2724 on: Wednesday, November 29, 2017, 11:43:43 »

it's the "will of the people" though*.

Even if people are dicks in economic risk/reasoning.

* of those that voted, obviously, not actually a massive majority and< 50% of the voting population. Even though a lot of them will die off in the next 10-20 years anyway. But hey, that's democracy.

Cameron is the biggest arsehole to have ever lead this country in the modern.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #2725 on: Wednesday, November 29, 2017, 11:44:51 »

The Irish border looks more difficult to sort mind.

Not sure it can be sorted, hard border is the only option as completely setting aside the EU, even under WTO rules there is a requirement for a hard border...

a) Border between NI and RoI never be acceptable to RoI and as any exit deal needs agreement of ALL 27 members will fall over with an RoI objection.

b) Border in the Irish Sea will never be acceptable to the DUP and we know how much Theresa needs to keep Arlene happy.

Plus it NI get some manner of special deal, Scotland who voted overwhelmingly to remain will be seeking the same, will be even more amusing if the party that likes to make much of the 'Union' brings that down too due to their internal strife.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #2726 on: Wednesday, November 29, 2017, 12:46:16 »

Paying to leave a huge trading bloc, so we can negotiate a worse deal with the same trading bloc. Brexit is shambolic suicide.

It’s not a trading bloc though, it’s a political union.  I am all for it, but people thinking you can just have some loose trading exchange for economic benefit without all the usurping of national laws are just as bad as those voting out in some bizarre hope it stops refugees, asylum seekers and immigrants from commonwealth countries.

Remaining in means accepting the general premise of the EU.  I still do not think a majority of the UK readily accept that, and until they do, we are set on the path of isolation.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #2727 on: Thursday, November 30, 2017, 16:29:38 »

Stolen from Robert Peston

Just when I thought the government’s approach to Brexit could not be any more complicated and Byzantine (that is a euphemism), I am disabused of any notion that there has been a collective outbreak of rationality.

Here is the latest madness.
Do you remember that EU leaving date the PM wants to put into British law via her own amendment to the Withdrawal Act - which was her political gesture to prove to the more ardently Brexiteering Tories that we really really are leaving?
As you will recall it was widely derided as pointless because Article 50 of the EU Treaty already means we are leaving at the end of March 2019, whatever British law says.
But the amendment turns out to have created quite a thorny problem for her - because her advisers either didn’t notice or failed to point out that if parliament passes her amendment, the European Court of Justice could have no role in the UK after 11pm on 29 March 2019, in that the Withdrawal Bill explicitly says the ECJ has no jurisdiction after what it calls the leaving date.
The point is that in the original draft of the bill the actual date and time of leaving was not specified. And that was deliberate, to give maximum negotiating flexibility to the PM - which she has decided to thanklessly reject. Now if you are a Brexiteering ultra you will of course say hooray to that. But if you are the British PM you may well turn white and say “oh gawd, what have I done?”

The thing is she knows that a sensible Brexit - in fact the Brexit she will be requesting - at that summit in December - requires a role, even multiple roles, for the ECJ after March 2019. For starters, the two-year transition or “implementation” period that has such totemic significance for British business will require the ECJ to continue to hold sway in the UK till at least 2021. And as you will recall, I’ve been reporting for a week that the UK’s proffered deal on the rights of EU migrants in Britain would allow our Supreme Court to refer the most tricky cases to the ECJ.

Or to put it another way, if she gets the deal she wants at the summit in a couple of weeks, and she also gets her leaving date agreed by Parliament, then she would have to repeal her own EU withdrawal deal before March 2019 - if she intends to honour next month’s putative divorce deal.

Yes I know this sounds utterly crazy. But parliament is current tearing itself apart over a bill that the PM may find in just a few days that she needs to repeal.

Aaaaaaaaargh. As all good constitutionalists are wont to say."
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #2728 on: Friday, December 1, 2017, 16:37:32 »

David Davis offering a BOGOF on getting rid of incompetent shitbags:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/dec/01/david-davis-threatens-to-quit-if-damian-green-sacked-unfairly

Although FWIW, I agree Green has been completely stitched up - why aren't the coppers involved being prosecuted for leaking what should surely be confidential details of a police investigation?
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #2729 on: Friday, December 1, 2017, 17:09:59 »

Ive kind of missed out on this.  But has he been wanking at work?

Never knowingly overstated.
Pages: 1 ... 179 180 181 [182] 183 184 185 ... 880   Go Up
Print
Jump to: