Pages: 1 ... 178 179 180 [181] 182 183 184 ... 880   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 1996421 times)
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #2700 on: Wednesday, November 8, 2017, 17:36:35 »

The coverage of this is hilariously sensational

Has there been this much interest in an MP arriving back at a London airport since Chamberlain in 1938?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #2701 on: Wednesday, November 8, 2017, 17:48:42 »

Has there been this much interest in an MP arriving back at a London airport since Chamberlain in 1938?

Interestingly, although perhaps not in the exact spot where Neville waved his bit of paper around and announced peace in our time, part of the airfield at Heston is now under the M4 service station.
Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #2702 on: Wednesday, November 8, 2017, 17:50:05 »

This gets said a lot about Corbyn and Labour.  But you rarely hear people talk about Tories taking us back to the 80s.  And whilst you remember the 70s and fear their return, I remember the 80s of massive cuts to public services, crumbling schools and hospitals, sky-high interest rates, 4 million unemployed, inner city riots, miners' strike, Police brutality and cover-ups, Poll Tax, the constant fear of war.

Why are you so fearful of a return to the 70s under Labour than a return to the 80s under this Govt?

One reason could be that the 70's with massive inflation and industrial unrest culminating in the winter of discontent paved the way for Thatcherism in the 80's in much the same way as the incompetence of the Weimar republic in the 20's paved the way for Hitler.
Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #2703 on: Wednesday, November 8, 2017, 17:59:34 »

Oops, not that I'm comparing Thatcher to Hitler.  I hate it when people casually link democratic politicians to tyrants.  I may not like Corbyn's policies but he hasn't murdered 50 million of his countrymen so calling him Stalin is just pathetic.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #2704 on: Wednesday, November 8, 2017, 22:03:56 »

I may not like Corbyn's policies but he hasn't murdered 50 million of his countrymen
Yet
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #2705 on: Thursday, November 9, 2017, 11:56:50 »

Oops, not that I'm comparing Thatcher to Hitler.  I hate it when people casually link democratic politicians to tyrants.  I may not like Corbyn's policies but he hasn't murdered 50 million of his countrymen so calling him Stalin is just pathetic.

IDS is well on the way though  Sad
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #2706 on: Thursday, November 9, 2017, 17:03:18 »

Just out of interest, specifically which Corbyn policies don't you like?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #2707 on: Thursday, November 9, 2017, 17:32:16 »

A rare piece of good news... Gove is now minded to accept the European ban on the pesticides which have catastrophically reduced the numbers of insect pollinators. OK his decision was driven by money rather than any green agenda, but the Government was previously opposed, happy to see the further decline of our natural environments.

Have you seen a wasp this year?
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #2708 on: Thursday, November 9, 2017, 17:49:31 »

Like for like, liar for liar.  Mordaunt (Pompey N.) in for Patel. 

When Leave was warning that 73m Turks could flood the UK after accession, Mordaunt lied on TV that the UK did not have a power of veto over Turkish accession.

horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #2709 on: Thursday, November 9, 2017, 19:59:58 »

Like for like, liar for liar.  Mordaunt (Pompey N.) in for Patel.  

When Leave was warning that 73m Turks could flood the UK after accession, Mordaunt lied on TV that the UK did not have a power of veto over Turkish accession.
Replacement has to be a) a strident brexiteer and b) a woman so there was not a big choice.... Promotions now entirely based on keeping the divided cabinet from back stabbing rather than ability.

Mordaunt has a loose relationship with the truth and was thus the prime candidate.
Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #2710 on: Thursday, November 9, 2017, 20:13:44 »

Replacement has to be a) a strident brexiteer and b) a woman so there was not a big choice.... Promotions now entirely based on keeping the divided cabinet from back stabbing rather than ability.

Sadly this is spot on.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #2711 on: Friday, November 10, 2017, 11:18:57 »

Promotions now entirely based on keeping the divided cabinet from back stabbing rather than ability.
Hasn't that always been the case? i.e. political considerations will always override actual talent in selecting a cabinet. Even in governments that aren't crippled like this one, most leaders will use cabinet (or equivalent) posts as a form of patronage to reward allies on side and keep rivals in check
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #2712 on: Friday, November 10, 2017, 11:36:50 »

Hasn't that always been the case? i.e. political considerations will always override actual talent in selecting a cabinet. Even in governments that aren't crippled like this one, most leaders will use cabinet (or equivalent) posts as a form of patronage to reward allies on side and keep rivals in check

Indeed, if it was going to be based entirely on ability, taking note of the current Tory MP's I would have thought Larry the Downing Street Cat would have been shoe in.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #2713 on: Wednesday, November 15, 2017, 09:18:18 »

Just out of interest how is this being reported and going down in Swindon?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/nov/14/honda-uk-warns-mps-of-consequences-of-leaving-eu-customs-union
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #2714 on: Wednesday, November 15, 2017, 09:21:00 »

First I've heard of it, but if the Swindon general public are as thick as the average Swindon fan they'll probably be happy about it.
Pages: 1 ... 178 179 180 [181] 182 183 184 ... 880   Go Up
Print
Jump to: