Pages: 1 ... 159 160 161 [162] 163 164 165 ... 880   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 1996226 times)
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #2415 on: Tuesday, April 18, 2017, 16:51:55 »

I'll be voting Labour. The policies coming out recently are excellent.
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #2416 on: Tuesday, April 18, 2017, 17:45:19 »

Don't be naive Jayo. It's not about policies; most people don't even read them. The media have and will continue, to portray Corbyn as a bumbling incompetent and not even highlight his plans.

After the Brexit vote I'm willing to bet money that the tories will win by a landslide. People are mental..

It's All Good..............
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #2417 on: Tuesday, April 18, 2017, 18:16:01 »

Don't be naive Jayo. It's not about policies; most people don't even read them.
Given that most politicians renege on them the minute the election's over, do you blame them?

Ignore
« Reply #2418 on: Tuesday, April 18, 2017, 18:28:03 »

Me too.
Don't be naive Jayo. It's not about policies; most people don't even read them. The media have and will continue, to portray Corbyn as a bumbling incompetent and not even highlight his plans.

After the Brexit vote I'm willing to bet money that the tories will win by a landslide. People are mental..

Completely agree with this. Very sad indeed. Such selfish and insular non society times we are now living in.
ghanimah

Ignore
« Reply #2419 on: Wednesday, April 19, 2017, 05:17:35 »

Whoop, just what the Country needs right now!

Total fucking opportunist farce.... and another £120m+ of public money spunked up the wall just because parliament would not bow down to what Theresa wanted it to do.

More likely it's a case of it's dawned on May, rather belatedly, that leaving the EU within two years with a trade deal is not going to happen. Remaining in the EEA (Single Market) is the only way to come out relatively quickly and smoothly. In addition she is going to have to make some unpopular compromises over contributions to the EU budget all just before an election in 2020.

By having an election now, which she is very likely to win, gives her more time - it won't surprise me if she then requests an extension to Article 50. Also if she wins with a bigger margin then it dilutes the influence of the 'Lunatic Fringe' part of the Tories (Redwood, Liley) who are pressing hard for the disastrous WTO option. If so it will allow her to U-turn on her ruling out remaining part of the EEA.

If so, then this GE will be good news.

"We perform the duties of freemen; we must have the privileges of freemen ..."
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #2420 on: Wednesday, April 19, 2017, 06:56:46 »

I fear the posts here on politics don't even hit the Townend's own modest 80% bollocks quota - which is easily eclipsed by most other media.

It would be a laugh to have a THETOWNEND.COM poll of voting intentions.  Anyone able or willing to set one up?
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #2421 on: Wednesday, April 19, 2017, 06:58:27 »

I fear the posts here on politics don't even hit the Townend's own modest 80% bollocks quota - which is easily eclipsed by most other media.

It would be a laugh to have a THETOWNEND.COM poll of voting intentions.  Anyone able or willing to set one up?

I'm on it....

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #2422 on: Wednesday, April 19, 2017, 08:51:31 »

More likely it's a case of it's dawned on May, rather belatedly, that leaving the EU within two years with a trade deal is not going to happen. Remaining in the EEA (Single Market) is the only way to come out relatively quickly and smoothly. In addition she is going to have to make some unpopular compromises over contributions to the EU budget all just before an election in 2020.

By having an election now, which she is very likely to win, gives her more time - it won't surprise me if she then requests an extension to Article 50. Also if she wins with a bigger margin then it dilutes the influence of the 'Lunatic Fringe' part of the Tories (Redwood, Liley) who are pressing hard for the disastrous WTO option. If so it will allow her to U-turn on her ruling out remaining part of the EEA.

If so, then this GE will be good news.

May says she has called this election due to opposition in Parliament to her Brexit strategy. It's obviously within her own party... so once again we see a Tory PM, go to the polls to try and sort the rift which splits the party. I don't suppose there's any chance the Brexit plan will be outlined for people to decide upon.
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #2423 on: Wednesday, April 19, 2017, 08:53:18 »

May says she has called this election due to opposition in Parliament to her Brexit strategy. It's obviously within her own party... so once again we see a Tory PM, go to the polls to try and sort the rift which splits the party. I don't suppose there's any chance the Brexit plan will be outlined for people to decide upon.

That's assuming she even has a plan...

ghanimah

Ignore
« Reply #2424 on: Wednesday, April 19, 2017, 09:07:59 »

That's assuming she even has a plan...

She was briefed on an exit plan but decided against it which is why Ivan Rodgers resigned last year over what he called "muddled headed thinking".

However she and other ministers have belatedly woken up to the fact we can't simply treat a 45 year affair with the EU as a one night stand. Not least because the EU has told her, rightly, that we can't have a trade deal until we leave and become a "third country".

Thus in my view it's one reason for the GE. A mandate gives her the opportunity to come up with an EEA, or equivalent, proposal for leaving against the wishes of her lunatic fringe which hitherto have had a disproportional influence in her party. 

horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #2425 on: Wednesday, April 19, 2017, 09:51:52 »

Thus in my view it's one reason for the GE. A mandate gives her the opportunity to come up with an EEA, or equivalent, proposal for leaving against the wishes of her lunatic fringe which hitherto have had a disproportional influence in her party. 

Alternatively gets it over and done with now whilst people still believe the positive spun bollocks being spouted by the Mail et al and avoid fighting an election when the job losses bite and the EU starts telling her to fuck off with her bat crap crazy ideas?
ghanimah

Ignore
« Reply #2426 on: Wednesday, April 19, 2017, 12:42:19 »

Alternatively gets it over and done with now whilst people still believe the positive spun bollocks being spouted by the Mail et al and avoid fighting an election when the job losses bite and the EU starts telling her to fuck off with her bat crap crazy ideas?

May still has to win a GE in 2022, and tanking the economy is not conducive to winning elections. As I understand it Ivan Rodgers has been re-employed on a contract which suggests even more that May is going for an EEA deal. She really doesn't have a choice.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #2427 on: Monday, June 19, 2017, 08:35:59 »

Right, Brexit negotiations start today.  Although no doubt that means it's more talks about talks, with a decent lunch thrown in, at this point. 

This is going to be fun Popcorn
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #2428 on: Monday, June 19, 2017, 09:02:23 »

May still has to win a GE in 2022, and tanking the economy is not conducive to winning elections. As I understand it Ivan Rodgers has been re-employed on a contract which suggests even more that May is going for an EEA deal. She really doesn't have a choice.

I suspect there is more chance of Reg being Tory leader than May in 2022....
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #2429 on: Monday, June 19, 2017, 09:33:31 »

Brexit:  Anything a May administration negotiates would surely be voted down in the Commons and blocked by the Lords.  I suspect the Tories dare not call an election now, even with a new leader.  Some time next year, with help from the usual press suspects talking about surrender and betrayal of the referendum, someone like Johnson will be able to challenge May "in the national interest" and perhaps also risk calling a GE.  The Tories may calculate that a re-energised UKIP may cost them some seats but may cost Labour a good deal more.  The Tories will also up their game on social media.

Is there any point the EU negotiating with May for now in what is likely to be posturing without substance?  Let's hope the lunches Reg recommends are indeed worthwhile.

On a separate note, sorry to note that Jo Swinson is apparently not going to stand for the leadership of the Lib Dems.

« Last Edit: Monday, June 19, 2017, 09:35:41 by RedRag » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 161 [162] 163 164 165 ... 880   Go Up
Print
Jump to: