Pages: 1 ... 158 159 160 [161] 162 163 164 ... 880   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 1996139 times)
Panda Paws

« Reply #2400 on: Tuesday, April 18, 2017, 11:29:46 »

Corbyn a true opposition? Not even his own party believe that.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #2401 on: Tuesday, April 18, 2017, 11:30:41 »

Oh how I wish there was a popular, united, and effective opposition to May and the Tories. She'll get a much increased majority and perceive it as a mandate to fuck us all harder.

There is.  But you'll need to move to Scotland if you want to vote for them.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #2402 on: Tuesday, April 18, 2017, 11:58:55 »

Just been doing a bit of reading of various sources and a few things popped up.....

The Gorton by election will go ahead and thus an MP will be elected to a parliament which will have been dissolved at that date and then will have to fight another election a month later potentially losing seat before ever actually sitting (keep an eye on that one for future pub quiz answers! Wink ).... kind of sums up politics in 2016-2017 UK that....

As once the CPS decide whether to prosecute regarding 2015 election expenses another election will have been held this rather voids the potential for the Tories to lose seats for electoral wrongdoing, although obviously this had nothing to do with Mrs Mays decision I am sure. Hmmm

If Labour lose a lot of seats in the north to the Tories these will potentially be areas which have been heavily affected by austerity, so will the new intake of Tory MP's be really prepared to do exactly what Mrs May tells them? Likewise if they have won their seats due to the ineptitude of Labour rather than the popularity and policies of their leader will they actually feel they have that much loyalty to her?

This also puts the mockers on boundary changes for now?

What this will do however is mean that Mrs May is no longer hamstrung by Cameroons manifesto of 2015, which was possibly too centreist for her, as he suspected that he may have to keep a coalition partner happy, and thus will allow her free reign in the Lords as they won't vote against things which were covered in the elected manifesto.

Ignore
« Reply #2403 on: Tuesday, April 18, 2017, 12:03:41 »

Yep. It's precisely because he is a completely different opposition with old Labour values that they want to remove him.
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #2404 on: Tuesday, April 18, 2017, 12:18:40 »

False. The overwhelming majority of The Labour Party do, you know, those that are paid up members who still retain their own ideals. Unlike the self serving MP's, who only give a shit about themselves.

It's All Good..............
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #2405 on: Tuesday, April 18, 2017, 12:19:12 »

Yep. It's precisely because he is a completely different opposition with old Labour values that they want to remove him.

Maybe also due to the fact that he is now rivalling 1983 in terms of polling potential and thus a lot of said MP's could find themselves on the rock and roll come the second week in June.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/theresa-may-snap-election-jeremy-corbyn-support-labour-election-defeat-bigger-than-1983-a7688771.html

FWIW I thought Corbyn being elected as leader could be a good thing, it has failed to be so and contributed greatly to the shit storm we are now encountering.

False. The overwhelming majority of The Labour Party do, you know, those that are paid up members who still retain their own ideals. Unlike the self serving MP's, who only give a shit about themselves.

Yeah but whilst we hear so much about Corbyn's 500,000 members that represents about a 1/3 of the Green Party polling at the last election (or 13% of the UKIP vote), if the electorate won't vote for him its essentially a pointless statistic.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, April 18, 2017, 12:24:13 by horlock07 » Logged
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #2406 on: Tuesday, April 18, 2017, 12:54:30 »

I live in an overwhelmingly Tory constituency and I can't see that changing at all...
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #2407 on: Tuesday, April 18, 2017, 13:13:43 »

I know Brenda is from Bristol, but she does rather sum it up....

https://www.indy100.com/article/brenda-bristol-jon-kay-bbc-general-election-reaction-funny-7688866
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #2408 on: Tuesday, April 18, 2017, 14:01:04 »

Are we all getting ahead of ourselves, will Labour actually vote for this to go ahead as whilst I know Corbyn supports it will 100's of Labour MP's basically follow the party whip to likely lose their seats?

The lure of the trough is very strong you know!

Yes because it's the only way the left can get rid of Corbin.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #2409 on: Tuesday, April 18, 2017, 14:17:06 »

Dear comrades, if Gordon Brown (remember him?) had the balls to call an election after he was bounced into the job as prime minister (how convenient to forget that when deriding Teresa Mays current position) then he'd have won that easily. Kept the Conservatives and Lib Dems from power sharing, likely as not won the last election maybe with a reduced majority but also stopped the brexit vote. Ta da. You now have effectively the best part of 10 years to wait before the conservatives fuck things up for you to get back to wheelhouse and steer the ship in the opposite direction. Yes I did say fuck things up because that's how the opposition get in. A party does not win an election the government of the day tend to lose it.

So the summer just got so much more exciting for veryone. June election, July league two fixtures, summer holidays, labour leadership contest, BBQ's and the annual party conferences, fantastic. Maybe, just maybe the messiah, a one Tony Blair may make a comeback for you all to cheer on.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #2410 on: Tuesday, April 18, 2017, 14:23:09 »

Dear comrades, if Gordon Brown (remember him?) had the balls to call an election after he was bounced into the job as prime minister (how convenient to forget that when deriding Teresa Mays current position) then he'd have won that easily. Kept the Conservatives and Lib Dems from power sharing, likely as not won the last election maybe with a reduced majority but also stopped the brexit vote. Ta da. You now have effectively the best part of 10 years to wait before the conservatives fuck things up for you to get back to wheelhouse and steer the ship in the opposite direction. Yes I did say fuck things up because that's how the opposition get in. A party does not win an election the government of the day tend to lose it.

So the summer just got so much more exciting for veryone. June election, July league two fixtures, summer holidays, labour leadership contest, BBQ's and the annual party conferences, fantastic. Maybe, just maybe the messiah, a one Tony Blair may make a comeback for you all to cheer on.

They see me trollin'.......
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #2411 on: Tuesday, April 18, 2017, 14:32:43 »

Whatever the outcome, it is important that people get the opportunity to vote for the policies which will confront the ordinary punter in the next number of years.

If people want the break up of the Union, exit from the single market, but still high immigration, then they should get the opportunity to vote Tory.

A major opportunity for the Lib Dems, to try and capture a chunk of the 48% remain vote, an opportunity for the Labour Party to put out some genuine left wing ideas and let the people decide.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #2412 on: Tuesday, April 18, 2017, 15:18:06 »

Yes because it's the only way the left can get rid of Corbin.

I don't think the left want rid of Corbyn?
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #2413 on: Tuesday, April 18, 2017, 15:23:33 »

I don't think the left want rid of Corbyn?
Nor do the right
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #2414 on: Tuesday, April 18, 2017, 16:00:11 »

Nor do the right

I assume that position has changed what with Chairwoman Mays announcement of today?
Pages: 1 ... 158 159 160 [161] 162 163 164 ... 880   Go Up
Print
Jump to: