Pages: 1 ... 156 157 158 [159] 160 161 162 ... 880   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 1995611 times)
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #2370 on: Wednesday, April 5, 2017, 22:09:54 »

Religious make-up of the world fluctuates shocker!

Whatever did happen to the Greek Gods, anyone seen them lately?

It's odd that they seem to think those who are None will decline due to birth rates.  Surely the Nones are the biggest growing movement in the past few centuries given that pretty much everyone was religious back then?  That must show that the period of industrial advancement has led to people abandoning religion more than moving.  There must be some decent analysis somewhere.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #2371 on: Wednesday, April 5, 2017, 23:50:43 »

It's odd that they seem to think those who are None will decline due to birth rates.  Surely the Nones are the biggest growing movement in the past few centuries given that pretty much everyone was religious back then?  That must show that the period of industrial advancement has led to people abandoning religion more than moving.  There must be some decent analysis somewhere.

I always think of Nones as being a Roman calendrical thing along with STFC happy, Ides and Kalends. Whatever happened to Mithraism?

The Romans had some proper strange religious cults before Christianity caught hold. I've always liked the relief of the Gorgon's head in Bath....

Gorgon's were birds...but this looks like a bloke to me  Hmmm
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #2372 on: Thursday, April 6, 2017, 07:58:32 »

It's odd that they seem to think those who are None will decline due to birth rates.  Surely the Nones are the biggest growing movement in the past few centuries given that pretty much everyone was religious back then?  That must show that the period of industrial advancement has led to people abandoning religion more than moving.  There must be some decent analysis somewhere.

The most accepted research available (referred to in the Guardian article) seems to source from a US Protestant funded charity

Between 2007 and 2050 there are expected to be 60-70 million Christians lost, primarily by switching to Nones.

Like you, I believe the likely movement in this direction to be higher and accelerating.  Nevertheless, take Japan and certainly North America and Europe out of the equation and Christians and Muslims (even more in number) will grow significantly overall both in numerical and percentage terms, mainly down to demographics such as youth and fertility.

I doubt that the quality of the data would allow a precise link to be made between numbers of Nones and Christians plus others and industrialisation per se (the Industrial Revolution was well underway by the time Revd Pitt founded STFC) but world numbers of Christians and Muslims grew massively in the 20th C. and appear to be growing still.
« Last Edit: Thursday, April 6, 2017, 08:17:01 by RedRag » Logged
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #2373 on: Thursday, April 6, 2017, 10:42:16 »

That particular Pantheon is still going strong.
I'm about to pay homage to Dionysus & Silenus.

Gods die when people stop believing in them.
There are plenty out there who need some tlc, just a case of finding one you like the look of and away you go.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #2374 on: Monday, April 10, 2017, 17:32:02 »

Just saw lizard woman spouting meaningless shite on a Tory party political broadcast. She doesn't even sound like she believes the crap she said.

It's All Good..............
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #2375 on: Tuesday, April 11, 2017, 08:07:51 »

Just saw lizard woman spouting meaningless shite on a Tory party political broadcast. She doesn't even sound like she believes the crap she said.

Was it this one..... http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/tory-brexit-advert-embarrassingly-features-aberdeen-port-which-benefited-from-millions-of-eu-funding_uk_58ebb60be4b0c89f91204858?utm_hp_ref=uk&utm_hp_ref=uk  Cheesy
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #2376 on: Tuesday, April 11, 2017, 08:30:44 »

Yep, that's the one. Is it just me, or has she really got the eyes of a psychopath?

It's All Good..............
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #2377 on: Tuesday, April 11, 2017, 09:07:11 »

Yep, that's the one. Is it just me, or has she really got the eyes of a psychopath?

She is most definitely a very peculiar character who has possibly allowed her thirst for 'power' to cloud her judgement, the whole Easter egg fuss whilst not commenting on various matters 20x worse shows either a very skewed moral compass or alternatively that she is just a random quote generator that occasionally malfunctions.

Think she is going to rival Thatcher in terms of long term legacy.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #2378 on: Tuesday, April 11, 2017, 09:12:28 »

Think she is going to rival Thatcher in terms of long term legacy.
I think that is the harpy's main goal.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #2379 on: Tuesday, April 11, 2017, 11:27:13 »

She started banging on about Easter because she wants to sell weapons to muslim extremists (The Saudis) in peace.

Here's the poster, if you're eagle eyed you might spot the word Easter in there somewhere...

Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #2380 on: Tuesday, April 11, 2017, 12:01:11 »

Theresa May is a cunt

Things get better but they never get good
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #2381 on: Tuesday, April 11, 2017, 12:01:49 »

And not in the light hearted way the word is used on here

Things get better but they never get good
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #2382 on: Tuesday, April 18, 2017, 09:28:37 »

Theresa May is a cunt
Statement at 11:15.... my money is on a Zola. Reckon the train wreck she's inherited from Cameron is too much for her.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, April 18, 2017, 09:31:01 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
ghanimah

Ignore
« Reply #2383 on: Tuesday, April 18, 2017, 09:30:14 »

Press Conference at 11:15.... my money is on a Zola. Reckon the train wreck she's inherited from Cameron is too much for her.

Rumours over weekend was she had enough. Early GE requires repeal of Fixed Parliament Act. I hope she's going, because she's clearly out of her depth.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, April 18, 2017, 09:32:48 by ghanimah » Logged

"We perform the duties of freemen; we must have the privileges of freemen ..."
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #2384 on: Tuesday, April 18, 2017, 09:30:30 »

Please God not an election. I can't take months more of everything being on fire and everyone fucking hating eachother.
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 158 [159] 160 161 162 ... 880   Go Up
Print
Jump to: