Pages: 1 ... 154 155 156 [157] 158 159 160 ... 880   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 1996478 times)
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #2340 on: Friday, February 24, 2017, 15:41:18 »

In terms of Stoke the more eye catching thing was despite being shown to have lied (rather unpleasantly in many cases) every time he opened his mouth Nuttall managed to get 24% of the vote, I know many of those who support UKIP, but won't admit why, are trying to spin it as a protest vote but there were plenty of Independents standing?
Because it is a protest vote. Same as Brexit, same as Trump. People are fucking fed up to the back teeth of the corruption, lies and self-serving smugness of the established political class, of all stripes, and are taking the opportunity to give them a thorough kicking. And they'll keep doing it until the smug bastards get the message. Which doesn't look like being any time soon
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #2341 on: Friday, February 24, 2017, 15:48:34 »

Copeland is not really, as the media have liked to portray, strong Labour territory. Having lived up that way for a few years whilst there are traditional Labour areas on the coast (Whitehaven etc) the vast majority of the constituency is rural farming land and thus traditional Tory territory.

Despite it being a Labour seat for years, in the 80's and early 90's the MP (one of the Cunninghams who seemed to monopolize West Cumbrian politics) only tended to have a c.2k majority over the Tory candidate. Add to that the influx of wealth from Sellafield, the incoming workforce with no traditional links and Corbyns problems with the Nuclear industry and its not really a shock.

Although the kicker for Corbyn was that Theresa May rolled up in the constituency, basically confirmed they are planned to shut a lot of the hospital and shunt services 40+ miles away to Carlisle (where access is crap) and people still voted Tory!

In terms of Stoke the more eye catching thing was despite being shown to have lied (rather unpleasantly in many cases) every time he opened his mouth Nuttall managed to get 24% of the vote, I know many of those who support UKIP, but won't admit why, are trying to spin it as a protest vote but there were plenty of Independents standing?

I think people are coming around to accepting the lie that we can no longer afford the NHS, so that it will need to be privatised. After all, it is still a relatively new creation. What did the good women folk of Cumberland do when sprog dropping pre say 1960. Got on with it, would be the answer...and if you didn't fancy that you paid privately.
Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #2342 on: Friday, February 24, 2017, 16:45:31 »

I think people are coming around to accepting the lie that we can no longer afford the NHS,

I think people are coming around to accepting the reality that an ageing population combined with a vastly increased set of treatments that are available to enhance and extend our lives, together with a far greater expectation of the range of treatments that people should have access to has given the country a funding requirement that was unimaginable just a few years ago, let alone in 1945.  It needs to be addressed realistically for the benefit of everyone and in particular for the majority of people who cannot afford to simply buy themselves a private solution.  Party politics, name-calling and shameless headline-grabbling opportunism make it very difficult to have that debate honestly and responsibly in this country but somehow it needs to be done.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #2343 on: Friday, February 24, 2017, 20:15:22 »

Because it is a protest vote. Same as Brexit, same as Trump. People are fucking fed up to the back teeth of the corruption, lies and self-serving smugness of the established political class, of all stripes, and are taking the opportunity to give them a thorough kicking. And they'll keep doing it until the smug bastards get the message. Which doesn't look like being any time soon
The qualities of corruption, lies and self serving smugness are as widely embodied in UKIP party members as elsewhere.

pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #2344 on: Friday, February 24, 2017, 22:03:37 »

The qualities of corruption, lies and self serving smugness are as widely embodied in UKIP party members as elsewhere.

If anything they seem to be even more concentrated there, ironically, but nonetheless this is why people are turning to far-right populists like Trump, UKIP, FN in France etc as a protest vote. The fact that they also embody the very faults that gave their voters the hump with the major parties in the first place is just one of life's bitter ironies I guess.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #2345 on: Saturday, February 25, 2017, 08:52:31 »

I don't believe the majority of the population are accepting that the NHS is unaffordable personally. Where I feel we are now and that most people have woken up to the truth is that we can as a country afford only so much for everything including the NHS. The utopia that we can carry on living beyond our means and borrow, borrow, borrow and fucking worry about the debt later astounds me. Or in other words we'll worry about the implications of today's actions when there is an election and the government of the day has to go to the people.

The cake is only so big in any economic cycle, how you slice it up is the difficult bit.

So Reg, you're now a latter day King Solomon, the transgender op for the bloke next door or your hip operation?
The Saint

« Reply #2346 on: Saturday, February 25, 2017, 09:47:07 »

Or we could just put up income tax by 3% and live in a civilized society where the ill, the old, the weak and the vulnerable get properly looked after.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #2347 on: Saturday, February 25, 2017, 09:58:50 »

Or we could just put up income tax by 3% and live in a civilized society where the ill, the old, the weak and the vulnerable get properly looked after.

Fucking commie
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #2348 on: Saturday, February 25, 2017, 10:00:51 »

Decent folk pick up the bill for the tax evading and avoiding bastards. Maybe if they paid their share an income tax increase would be palatable.
inept and tiresome

Ignore
« Reply #2349 on: Saturday, February 25, 2017, 11:25:45 »

Decent folk pick up the bill for the tax evading and avoiding bastards. Maybe if they paid their share an income tax increase would be palatable.
Very much this.
Can I also add my neighbour, returned to good old Blighty after working abroad for nearly 30 years and for why? His wife developed breast cancer and they needed the NHS.
A women I know moved to Austalia in the 70s and was kicked out as soon as she became a problem to their society. Now living here on benefits.
 We are a soft touch to scroungers, working and middle class, the rich avoiding their obligations and other vested interests.
The Saint

« Reply #2350 on: Saturday, February 25, 2017, 18:57:01 »

Very much this.
Can I also add my neighbour, returned to good old Blighty after working abroad for nearly 30 years and for why? His wife developed breast cancer and they needed the NHS.
A women I know moved to Austalia in the 70s and was kicked out as soon as she became a problem to their society. Now living here on benefits.
 We are a soft touch to scroungers, working and middle class, the rich avoiding their obligations and other vested interests.
Yes those utter bastards who try and get cancer treatment for free - it makes me so angry I want to stab myself inthe face
inept and tiresome

Ignore
« Reply #2351 on: Saturday, February 25, 2017, 19:01:19 »

Yes those utter bastards who try and get cancer treatment for free - it makes me so angry I want to stab myself inthe face
I feel for all cancer patients but now the tories are out to kill the NHS, maybe it's services should be for those that have paid for it.
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #2352 on: Saturday, February 25, 2017, 19:18:21 »

The right wing media love to demonise the poor, unemployed and those on benefits and the gullible lap it up.

It's All Good..............
mystical_goat

Ignore
« Reply #2353 on: Sunday, February 26, 2017, 13:53:13 »

I've come to realise that almost all mainstream media is right wing. The Guardian didn't cover the protests on Downing Street six months ago, when hundreds of thousands gathered, and that was a turning point for me.

Is it the Spectator that properly does it? I know there's that and other magazine, one is right, one left.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #2354 on: Sunday, February 26, 2017, 14:14:07 »

I've come to realise that almost all mainstream media is right wing. The Guardian didn't cover the protests on Downing Street six months ago, when hundreds of thousands gathered, and that was a turning point for me.

Is it the Spectator that properly does it? I know there's that and other magazine, one is right, one left.

Pages: 1 ... 154 155 156 [157] 158 159 160 ... 880   Go Up
Print
Jump to: