Pages: 1 ... 130 131 132 [133] 134 135 136 ... 881   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 2010584 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #1980 on: Monday, September 5, 2016, 08:22:25 »

See the Japs, have sent May a letter, saying post Brexit unless GB stays in the something resembling the single market, their companies will be out of the UK, at their earliest convenience.   That'll be Honda gone then.

Although I voted Remain, I think it's inevitable that to achieve a proper Brexit, the economy is going to have to take a hit, before it can realign and accrue any of the potential benefits of Brexit.  A Norway style fudge, where you're essentially in but without getting any say on what happens seems particularly pointless.
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #1981 on: Monday, September 5, 2016, 08:30:00 »

Obama said pretty much the same thing, not that he will have anything to do with future trade deals mind you
Flashheart

« Reply #1982 on: Monday, September 5, 2016, 08:31:16 »

Surely it's up to Honda et al what they do?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #1983 on: Monday, September 5, 2016, 08:47:32 »

Japanese companies like to plan for the long term...the problem with Brexit, is that no-one seems to have a plan or know what it means.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #1984 on: Monday, September 5, 2016, 08:48:20 »

of course they will apply any pressure possible to get what's best for Japan. whether it's genuine is another matter.

far too early to say Brexit is a success, or a failure. it's going to take years.

(as a remainer, I'm hoping we remain in the single market and Japan's/world's pressure works)
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #1985 on: Monday, September 5, 2016, 08:49:04 »

Quote from: Reg Smeeton
..the problem with Brexit, is that no-one seems to have a plan or know what it means.

exactly right!
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #1986 on: Monday, September 5, 2016, 08:52:42 »

Japanese companies like to plan for the long term...the problem with Brexit, is that no-one seems to have a plan or know what it means.

Not sure how it works with Honda but I know with Nissan that the factories essentially have to tender to head office when new models come on line to get the work. As much of the attractiveness of Sunderland is that it allows unfettered access to the EU there is already a lot of fear that they are going to lose out to other factories when this happens, especially as Nissan are tied up with Renault and thus there is a lot of capacity in France that will be able to take up the slack - somewhat ironic given that Sunderland voted a resounding out!  
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #1987 on: Monday, September 5, 2016, 08:56:14 »

Obama said pretty much the same thing, not that he will have anything to do with future trade deals mind you

Whilst Obama is on his way out I suspect that the timing of trade deals has little to do with who is in the White House, despite what IDS and Rees-Mogg are desperately trying to spin this morning, certain elements of which (the suggestion that Obama is no friend of the UK) have a Trump/Corbynesque paranoia about them.

I suspect that as the Tories ideologically roughly align with TTIP we may jump to the front of the queue somewhat as the drafting in that document can be rolled over to a UK/US trade deal once the EU reject it formally (and we were told it was an inevitability if we stayed in the EU)?
« Last Edit: Monday, September 5, 2016, 09:08:19 by horlock07 » Logged
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #1988 on: Monday, September 5, 2016, 08:58:09 »

of course they will apply any pressure possible to get what's best for Japan. whether it's genuine is another matter.

far too early to say Brexit is a success, or a failure. it's going to take years.

(as a remainer, I'm hoping we remain in the single market and Japan's/world's pressure works)

Aside from the atrocities of WWII, I like Japanese cultural sensibilities...honour, politeness and a really cool way of making a cup of tea.  So, although they'll do what's best for Japan, I do think it's a genuine threat.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #1989 on: Monday, September 5, 2016, 12:25:10 »

Yes, but one of the reasons they build cars in Europe to have access to the single market. If we aren't part of it they would be better off in a country that is
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #1990 on: Monday, September 5, 2016, 15:34:24 »

Brexit means brexit. Theresa May said so.

Of course brexit is not a real word.

Therefore, brexit means nothing.

QED.😉

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
StfcRusty

Ignore
« Reply #1991 on: Tuesday, September 27, 2016, 16:47:27 »

Did anyone see the Trump v Clinton debate earlier this morning?  I've just finished watching it.  I'd already formed my opinion about Trump but knew less about Clinton other than what I'd read in the media.  I thought she came across pretty well, albeit like a typical politician (if that makes sense).  Knew her stuff, stayed calm and pretty rational - whether you agree with her politics is another matter.

Trump, on the other hand, came across as just bizarre to me.  Very easily goaded, constantly interrupting, rarely giving a straight answer, generally poor on detail and the use of some of the strangest non-sequiturs you could imagine.

If that was a UK election debate, he would have to quit now as he'd never recover but America seems such a polarised country.  My sister has lived out there 20 years and she said that he could have taken a dump on stage and his supporters would have said he'd won the debate.  Scary that he could actually still win.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #1992 on: Tuesday, September 27, 2016, 16:54:08 »

Did anyone see the Trump v Clinton debate earlier this morning?  I've just finished watching it.  I'd already formed my opinion about Trump but knew less about Clinton other than what I'd read in the media.  I thought she came across pretty well, albeit like a typical politician (if that makes sense).  Knew her stuff, stayed calm and pretty rational - whether you agree with her politics is another matter.

Trump, on the other hand, came across as just bizarre to me.  Very easily goaded, constantly interrupting, rarely giving a straight answer, generally poor on detail and the use of some of the strangest non-sequiturs you could imagine.

If that was a UK election debate, he would have to quit now as he'd never recover but America seems such a polarised country.  My sister has lived out there 20 years and she said that he could have taken a dump on stage and his supporters would have said he'd won the debate.  Scary that he could actually still win.

Don't you believe it about the UK's superiority. Nigel Farage spouted fact-free bollocks for years, and his support only grew. Welcome to the era of post-truth politics.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #1993 on: Tuesday, September 27, 2016, 17:22:30 »

Don't you believe it about the UK's superiority. Nigel Farage spouted fact-free bollocks for years, and his support only grew. Welcome to the era of post-truth politics.
Nor sure why Farage singled out. How many conviction politicians are there. Cameron and Gideon told equal amounts of shit as Farage.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #1994 on: Tuesday, September 27, 2016, 17:32:16 »

Did anyone see the Trump v Clinton debate earlier this morning?  I've just finished watching it.  I'd already formed my opinion about Trump but knew less about Clinton other than what I'd read in the media.  I thought she came across pretty well, albeit like a typical politician (if that makes sense).  Knew her stuff, stayed calm and pretty rational - whether you agree with her politics is another matter.

Trump, on the other hand, came across as just bizarre to me.  Very easily goaded, constantly interrupting, rarely giving a straight answer, generally poor on detail and the use of some of the strangest non-sequiturs you could imagine.

If that was a UK election debate, he would have to quit now as he'd never recover but America seems such a polarised country.  My sister has lived out there 20 years and she said that he could have taken a dump on stage and his supporters would have said he'd won the debate.  Scary that he could actually still win.

At some point, this will probably happen.

I really don't understand what's going on over there.  There are 320 million people in the US...and the political system has somehow contrived to allow Donald Trump in to the final round of 2.  Something's not right.  To have such a tortuous, drawn-out process that arrives at a choice between Trump and Clinton is absurd.  Properly absurd.  The entire political system needs to reviewed, but it won't be.
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 132 [133] 134 135 136 ... 881   Go Up
Print
Jump to: