Pages: 1 ... 76 77 78 [79] 80 81 82 ... 880   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 1996165 times)
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #1170 on: Thursday, November 26, 2015, 12:40:03 »

Just a shme the LibDems have as many MP's as the DUP.

But they have quite a presence in the Lords, just a pity they seem to be having to act as her majesty's opposition whilst the Labour Leadership and PLP wave their bits around rather than trying to act for the good of the country....
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #1171 on: Thursday, November 26, 2015, 12:45:51 »

But they have quite a presence in the Lords, just a pity they seem to be having to act as her majesty's opposition whilst the Labour Leadership and PLP wave their bits around rather than trying to act for the good of the country....

Yes strange isn't it....how stacks of them can get into the unelected Lords, but are rejected by ordinary voters.

It's fair to say that many in the PLP, are out of step with the leadership and membership, and are trying to save their own skin, and are therefore not to be trusted.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #1172 on: Thursday, November 26, 2015, 13:05:44 »

Yes strange isn't it....how stacks of them can get into the unelected Lords, but are rejected by ordinary voters.

It's fair to say that many in the PLP, are out of step with the leadership and membership, and are trying to save their own skin, and are therefore not to be trusted.

Much like Labour then... rejected by ordinary voters.

Yeah but without them most of the welfare stuff being promoted by the Tories would be sailing through, interesting that more Labour peers voted against the Lib Dem fatal motion promoted by the Lib Dems than abstained.

Its all very well Corbyn having his vanity project and the PLP resisting it but its the rest of the country that is suffering in the absense of an opposition whilst they have their cock waving competition.

Thankfully Osbourne is so keen to ensure that he retains his centre right position, drifting into the position vacated by New Labour, that he took the opportunity to soften things a little. At the present time the Tories seem to essentially have carte blanche to do what they like whilst Labour just bicker!
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #1173 on: Thursday, November 26, 2015, 13:13:04 »

Sorry for banging the PR drum yet again, but the Lib Dems - along with UKIP - are massively under-represented in the Commons as a result of the indefensible First Past the Post electoral system.  Similarly, the SNP is massively over-represented.

First Past the Post distorts everything, including political debate and the perception of values held by the voting public.  The Lib Dems won 7.9% of the vote in May which, on a proportional basis, would give them 51 parliamentary seats - and not the 8 they actually took up.  Because they won only 8, they're treated as also-rans.  They shouldn't be.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #1174 on: Thursday, November 26, 2015, 13:15:13 »

Sorry for banging the PR drum yet again, but the Lib Dems - along with UKIP - are massively under-represented in the Commons as a result of the indefensible First Past the Post electoral system.  Similarly, the SNP is massively over-represented.

First Past the Post distorts everything, including political debate and the perception of values held by the voting public.  The Lib Dems won 7.9% of the vote in May which, on a proportional basis, would give them 51 parliamentary seats - and not the 8 they actually took up.  Because they won only 8, they're treated as also-rans.  They shouldn't be.

I'm keen on electoral reform myself, but pure PR applied to the results of the last election (which is dodgy as people may have voted differently etc.) would have given a Tory/UKIP coalition. Which is terrifying.

Ignore
« Reply #1175 on: Thursday, November 26, 2015, 13:23:09 »

Check out what Dennis Skinner said today(currently trending on Twitter) I am with him and Reg. Out !
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #1176 on: Thursday, November 26, 2015, 13:38:40 »

I'm keen on electoral reform myself, but pure PR applied to the results of the last election (which is dodgy as people may have voted differently etc.) would have given a Tory/UKIP coalition. Which is terrifying.

Maybe so.  But it's what people voted for.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #1177 on: Thursday, November 26, 2015, 13:39:33 »

Maybe so.  But it's what people voted for.

People like Coldplay and voted for Hitler Mark, you can't trust people.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #1178 on: Thursday, November 26, 2015, 13:49:22 »

If the voting system was changed, many people would vote differently, I suspect.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #1179 on: Thursday, November 26, 2015, 15:08:53 »

If the voting system was changed, many people would vote differently, I suspect.

You mean, if they thought their vote might actually count for something?

Not like the UK electorate to be generally scared of making any change to the status quo though, is it.

Nation of shopkeepers, was it?

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #1180 on: Thursday, November 26, 2015, 15:13:23 »

Nation of shopkeepers, was it?

Indeed but good enough to to destroy the Bonapartist fantasy of French European/global hegemony.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #1181 on: Thursday, November 26, 2015, 15:16:03 »

This man could possibly become US president... and we think we have problems....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-34930042
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #1182 on: Thursday, November 26, 2015, 16:24:41 »

Indeed but good enough to to destroy the Bonapartist fantasy of French European/global hegemony.

I knew who would bite at that.  Bye

Bonaparte's success, particularly in setting up institutions and administrations that remain to this day, has always been underplayed in the UK, not unnaturally. And his legacy of French influence in Europe is rather greater than plucky little England's.

Does your suspicion of our Gallic cousins stem from a deep-rooted sense of inferiority, I wonder Reginald?

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #1183 on: Thursday, November 26, 2015, 16:28:25 »

I knew who would bite at that.  Bye

Bonaparte's success, particularly in setting up institutions and administrations that remain to this day, has always been underplayed in the UK, not unnaturally. And his legacy of French influence in Europe is rather greater than plucky little England's.

Does your suspicion of our Gallic cousins stem from a deep-rooted sense of inferiority, I wonder Reginald?

Leave Reg alone, he hates Thatcher more than Bonaparte.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #1184 on: Thursday, November 26, 2015, 16:36:16 »

French red tape is horrific, but Bonaparte's division of the country in to clearly defined Regions and, below that, the 100 Departments which people properly identify with is something to be proud of.  Vastly superior to the disorderly mish-mash of counties (some historic, which do not even exist in the political sense any more) & unitary authorities that we put up with.

A Frenchman knows where he's from.  But is Swindon in Wiltshire any more?  Is Kingston in London or is it in Surrey?  Is Scunthorpe a part of Humberside, Lincolnshire or N Lincolnshire?  All open to debate.  It's a mess.
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 78 [79] 80 81 82 ... 880   Go Up
Print
Jump to: