Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 [73] 74 75 76 ... 880   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 1996197 times)
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #1080 on: Tuesday, September 8, 2015, 17:09:31 »

Cameron made a political decision to hold a referendum; he didn't make the decision expecting to lose.

If the referendum was held this week he would lose, therefore it's not beyond the realms of possibility, there may be a delay or similar.
You state that as though it's fact. Why would he lose?

It's All Good..............
ghanimah

Ignore
« Reply #1081 on: Tuesday, September 8, 2015, 17:14:53 »

Cameron made a political decision to hold a referendum; he didn't make the decision expecting to lose.

If the referendum was held this week he would lose, therefore it's not beyond the realms of possibility, there may be a delay or similar.

Cameron has consistently promised a referendum by the end of 2017, he cannot simply renege on this as he is subject to Parliamentary scrutiny - yesterday's purdah's defeat neatly illustrates this. The Referendum Bill having passed the Commons is now off to the Lords. The timetable is now largely out of his hands.

"We perform the duties of freemen; we must have the privileges of freemen ..."
StfcRusty

Ignore
« Reply #1082 on: Tuesday, September 8, 2015, 17:15:13 »

So what if the banner said something you didn't want to be associated with.

Banners are fine if an individual is brandishing it outside where people can see who is holding it and can then choose to be associated with it.

This has always happened at football matches, hasn't it? I dare say not everyone agreed with the first "McMahon Out" banners when they appeared.

Some people are racist. Should we remove the "Let's kick racism out of football" banners from stadiums as, you could argue, that is also a political opinion with a very small minority (of ignorant twats) supporting racist ideals and who don't agree with the message.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #1083 on: Tuesday, September 8, 2015, 17:16:47 »

You state that as though it's fact. Why would he lose?

I know opinion polls aren't flavour of the month, but the trend is for an out vote.....whereas previously strongly an in vote.

herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #1084 on: Tuesday, September 8, 2015, 17:19:01 »

I know opinion polls aren't flavour of the month, but the trend is for an out vote.....whereas previously strongly an in vote.
I feel a Tef poll is coming......

It's All Good..............
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #1085 on: Sunday, September 13, 2015, 21:42:44 »

So, Corbyn is in, and he's made John McDonnell Shadow Chancellor. I'd say that's about as far to the left as Labour could possibly have gone within their existing MPs. Could be an interesting few months...
Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #1086 on: Monday, September 14, 2015, 07:26:12 »

Looks like he's going for the "principled failure" option where he 'nobly' sticks to his ideals until he is forced out when enough of his current supporters eventually grasp that this is financial, social and of course electoral lunacy.  Then he can self-righteously claim that he has been forced out by the fascist press controlled by the business barons.  This was always the line favoured by Benn, his most obvious predecessor.

The alternative of genuinely trying to build a credible far left alternative to social democracy as the Labour opposition to the Tories, as favoured by the equally deluded but considerably more decent and honourable Michael Foot, looks like it's going to be rather too much of a dose of reality, never mind hard work.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #1087 on: Monday, September 14, 2015, 07:41:53 »

So, Corbyn is in, and he's made John McDonnell Shadow Chancellor. I'd say that's about as far to the left as Labour could possibly have gone within their existing MPs. Could be an interesting few months...

And already, the infighting has started. We're in for another lengthy period of Labour tearing out its own entrails while the nation and the government look on. Odd that Corbyn shouldn't at least try to bring the parliamentary party with him. Whatever his agenda might have been, it's unlikely to see the light of day without the support of his backbenchers.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #1088 on: Monday, September 14, 2015, 07:55:42 »

I feel a banner coming on.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #1089 on: Monday, September 14, 2015, 08:47:08 »

To be fair to Corbyn he is learning how front line politics work, the 50% women shadow cabinet pledge appears to be quietly disappearing.
Flashheart

« Reply #1090 on: Monday, September 14, 2015, 09:13:27 »

One of his shadow cabinet is a Swindon lass. I went to school with her and we were in some of the same classes. Cool story, huh?
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #1091 on: Monday, September 14, 2015, 09:17:02 »

One of his shadow cabinet is a Swindon lass. I went to school with her and we were in some of the same classes. Cool story, huh?

Isn't it scary when you realise that you are the same age as politicians - its similar to when you realise that you are starting to think some of them are a bit tasty!
horlock07

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #1092 on: Wednesday, September 16, 2015, 11:25:50 »

As Corbyn is crowd sourcing question's for PMQ's can someone please ask him to ask Cameron what his favourite cheese is?
Skinny Pete

« Reply #1093 on: Wednesday, September 16, 2015, 14:04:45 »

I thought the point of PMQs was for the leader of the opposition to ask and press the PM with awkward questions. Not for Joe Public to put forward inane questions for the PM to trot out the government line with no follow-up questions to contend with.

Bit like Lee and his phone-ins.

Beardy wont last 6 months
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #1094 on: Wednesday, September 16, 2015, 14:54:27 »

Personally I thought it was a breath of fresh air from a bunch of out of touch tosspots saying 'see that smelly pile of poo, thats you that it'.

It was a bit gardeners question time but compared to the usual PMQ's everyone involved I thought looked human. That was until Cameron reverted to type and the next question after Corbyn had finished was a tory asking for a tiger.

Never knowingly overstated.
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 [73] 74 75 76 ... 880   Go Up
Print
Jump to: