Pages: 1 ... 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 ... 880   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 1995868 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #945 on: Wednesday, May 13, 2015, 15:21:18 »

publish, or be damned sirrah!

Apparently they are being published....but the Government changed the law in 2011, to prevent publication thereafter.

pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #946 on: Wednesday, May 13, 2015, 15:26:14 »

This obviously needs taking in context when one considers the outlet within which it was published, but quite a thought provoking piece.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pol...hinging-why-the-Left-are-such-bad-losers.html

I have genuinely been a little shocked by the backlash from the left both prior to and after the election, the right are always branded the nasty parties but it does appear that this is not reflected by the supporters of either side on social media as the patronising abuse heaped on anyone thinking of (or actually voting) has been incredible?
Counter that by reading some of the bile in the online comments section of the Daily Mail, or some of the shit posted by people reposting Britain First memes (and their like), and it's not a left-right thing. It's a "people think it's OK to be really unpleasant online in a way they wouldn't in person" thing.

However, that doesn't absolve the tantrums of the losers.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #947 on: Wednesday, May 13, 2015, 15:35:26 »

Counter that by reading some of the bile in the online comments section of the Daily Mail, or some of the shit posted by people reposting Britain First memes (and their like), and it's not a left-right thing. It's a "people think it's OK to be really unpleasant online in a way they wouldn't in person" thing.

However, that doesn't absolve the tantrums of the losers.

I do agree that many seem to have disengaged the part of your brain that suggests 'would I say this to someones face' during this campaign. To be honest I would expect such crap on the Mail comments section, its been more some of the general stuff posted on here, Faceache from people I know should know better and other forums I frequent - its always people saying what clueless arseholes people are for voting tory?

Perhaps my views have been blurred by reading too much George Orwell in the past....
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #948 on: Wednesday, May 13, 2015, 15:39:28 »

The Duke of Cornwall, has been sending notes to Government officials over the last 5 years....he may have had an opinion, on the importance or otherwise of Mr Tomlinson's sinecure, but will we ever know, Cameron is trying to suppress publication of the letters, even though the highest judges say there's no reason in law not to publish.

And Mr Brown before him and Mr Blair before him... this has been going on for 10 years now (and thus the first 5 under Labour).

On first glance he doesn't have much of interest to say...
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #949 on: Wednesday, May 13, 2015, 15:42:20 »

I do agree that many seem to have disengaged the part of your brain that suggests 'would I say this to someones face' during this campaign. To be honest I would expect such crap on the Mail comments section, its been more some of the general stuff posted on here, Faceache from people I know should know better and other forums I frequent - its always people saying what clueless arseholes people are for voting tory?
Well if you're looking on fb, there's plenty of right-wing vitriol/bigotry from the Britain First re-posters (many of whom are normally quite sane, but seem to go  beserk at the sight of a meme with a poppy in it) and on here, look no further than the (in the circumstances) ironically named Red and Proud's outpourings or even our very own tame Nazi, Ironside, for the "everything bad in my life is Labour's fault and all their supporters are cretins" counterbalance.

I do agree though that some of the post-election outbursts from Labour supporters have been embarrassing, just don't think it's a uniquely "left" thing as the Telegraph piece suggested. We'd have seen the same if Labour had won
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #950 on: Wednesday, May 13, 2015, 15:56:16 »

Well if you're looking on fb, there's plenty of right-wing vitriol/bigotry from the Britain First re-posters (many of whom are normally quite sane, but seem to go  beserk at the sight of a meme with a poppy in it) and on here, look no further than the (in the circumstances) ironically named Red and Proud's outpourings or even our very own tame Nazi, Ironside, for the "everything bad in my life is Labour's fault and all their supporters are cretins" counterbalance.

I do agree though that some of the post-election outbursts from Labour supporters have been embarrassing, just don't think it's a uniquely "left" thing as the Telegraph piece suggested. We'd have seen the same if Labour had won

The irony in this, is that in no sense can Labour be seen as a party of the Left, whereas the party which had a manifesto resembling Labour's 82 "longest suicide note in history" was rather successful
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #951 on: Wednesday, May 13, 2015, 15:59:07 »

The irony in this, is that in no sense can Labour be seen as a party of the Left, whereas the party which had a manifesto resembling Labour's 82 "longest suicide note in history" was rather successful
Yes, but I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that most of those throwing their toys out of the pram on social media are broadly of the left (or would certainly look that way to the Telegraph). Even if they have voted for a wolf in sheep's clothing (or sheep in wolf's clothing, depending on your point of view)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #952 on: Wednesday, May 13, 2015, 16:06:52 »

Yes, but I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that most of those throwing their toys out of the pram on social media are broadly of the left (or would certainly look that way to the Telegraph). Even if they have voted for a wolf in sheep's clothing (or sheep in wolf's clothing, depending on your point of view)

As Margaret Thatcher foiund out, being savaged by a dead sheep, can be very nasty. 
mystical_goat

Ignore
« Reply #953 on: Friday, May 15, 2015, 20:16:33 »

It's not hard to see that the people working and representing us in Westminster are self-serving wankers with many vested personal, family and social interests. They have little genuine desire to do serve the public or cause beneficial change for anyone but their narrow circle of interests.

I am pleased to see the election results have caused a minor spike in activist groups but really only something radical and en-masse will cause the change that is necessary. The grip that the ruling demogrpahic hold is strong.

I work in education and have met a small handful of people who are just fucking amazing at their jobs and everyone agrees they are amazing. They have great ideas and capture everyone's attention immediately. Those are the people who should be in charge; experts in their field. Our new Minister for Justice is trained with a 2:1 in English and a career in journalism. And is a complete cunt.

I have little interest in our politics/media apart from tactical voting at election time. It's futile; whoever wins there is a majority of cunts.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #954 on: Friday, May 15, 2015, 20:19:13 »

The Oxford fan talks sense  Yes
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #955 on: Saturday, May 16, 2015, 14:17:51 »

Anyone else see the irony in the governments suggested new rules around strike ballots.
The unions now need 40% of those eligible to vote in favour.
Funny then that a majority government only got 36% of those that voted, let alone those that were eligible to vote
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #956 on: Saturday, May 16, 2015, 14:21:11 »

meh, unions have held to much power when it comes to striking, good on the government.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #957 on: Saturday, May 16, 2015, 15:05:17 »

meh, unions have held to much power when it comes to striking, good on the government.

Yes, the only employer in the country that can change the rules on the fly to fuck it's employees. Good on them!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #958 on: Saturday, May 16, 2015, 16:00:11 »

See Osborne is going to get cutting sharpish, with an emergency budget in July, to take 12 bn out of the welfare budget, would seem like a good time to do it as there's effectively no opposition, which will probably mean people resorting to direct action.  Boris's water cannon will no doubt see some service.
Red and Proud

Ignore
« Reply #959 on: Saturday, May 16, 2015, 16:33:25 »

Good
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 ... 880   Go Up
Print
Jump to: