Pages: 1 ... 59 60 61 [62] 63 64 65 ... 880   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 1996913 times)
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #915 on: Monday, May 11, 2015, 08:28:01 »

When do/did you lose the right to vote in the UK?

After 15 years away. The UK shares its vote expiry policy with countries like Malta, Denmark and Ireland - you can understand how small countries like Ireland with large overseas populations would be concerned about their results being skewed by their ex-pats. The USA, France, Germany and Italy are among many countries that allow a vote to all passport-holders by right.

I used to get upset about not having a right to vote in anyone's national election, so I'm looking into getting French nationality to be able to vote where politics actually affects my daily life. Then you really will be able to call me a

cum filled frog clunge

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #916 on: Monday, May 11, 2015, 09:16:09 »

I assume you have permanent residency status? Is that not enough to vote in the French system then? Seems strange that you would be allowed to stay indefinitely but have no say on how the country is being run.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #917 on: Monday, May 11, 2015, 09:21:45 »

I assume you have permanent residency status? Is that not enough to vote in the French system then? Seems strange that you would be allowed to stay indefinitely but have no say on how the country is being run.

It's the same here.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #918 on: Monday, May 11, 2015, 09:24:41 »

Yes, all EU nationals have permanent residency, but the vote is restricted to French nationals. Think that's the same in the UK. It seems like a discrepancy that you can end up without a vote anywhere in Europe, but it's an area that the EU hasn't aligned, despite challenges.

To be fair, I suppose it's up to me to take nationality if I'm sufficiently committed to being involved in the politics of where I live.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #919 on: Monday, May 11, 2015, 09:24:57 »

This is a good one......obviously Gove has been brought into the Justice Dept, to bin the UK's signature to European Human Rights.  

Thoughts?
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #920 on: Monday, May 11, 2015, 09:26:38 »

This is a good one......obviously Gove has been brought into the Justice Dept, to bin the UK's signature to European Human Rights.  

Thougts?

Bye bye, Daily Mail nation, drifting disunited off into the north Atlantic.  Bye
« Last Edit: Monday, May 11, 2015, 10:04:39 by Red Frog » Logged

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #921 on: Monday, May 11, 2015, 09:47:35 »

Bye bye, Dail Mail disunited nation, drifting off into the north Atlantic.  Bye

I'm particularly interested to hear from our nascent Lib Dem members on this, as it's just the sort of thing which would have been blocked in Coalition...
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #922 on: Monday, May 11, 2015, 09:54:57 »

I don't see what we can possibly gain from scrapping this bill.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #923 on: Monday, May 11, 2015, 10:29:29 »

I don't see what we can possibly gain from scrapping this bill.

It's really to do with being able to deport the likes of Abu Qatada....
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #924 on: Monday, May 11, 2015, 10:33:24 »

I can't see a vote for leaving the EU.  I think most will vote reluctantly to stay in.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #925 on: Monday, May 11, 2015, 10:45:27 »

Thoughts?
All work on this is irrelevant while we're in the EU. They will not let us scrap it.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #926 on: Monday, May 11, 2015, 10:48:57 »

All work on this is irrelevant while we're in the EU. They will not let us scrap it.

ECHR, is nothing to do with the EU....
@mwooly63

Ignore
« Reply #927 on: Monday, May 11, 2015, 11:21:48 »

ECHR, is nothing to do with the EU....

Iirc Holland pulled out of that when they went thru their immigration issues
JanTheMan

Ignore
« Reply #928 on: Monday, May 11, 2015, 13:09:14 »

I voted yellow, as I did last time. Unfortunately my mp was turned over by the Tory (as per 80pc of LD seats!). That said I was happy with the last coalition set up.

It would take a lot for me to vote labour since I spent 18months working for a local authority. In 10 years since I have never met a bigger bunch of umbitious mediocre work shy slackers. All just waiting for their undeserved pensions whilst complaining about working conditions etc etc etc. To a man and women they were labour.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #929 on: Monday, May 11, 2015, 13:17:15 »

I voted yellow, as I did last time. Unfortunately my mp was turned over by the Tory (as per 80pc of LD seats!). That said I was happy with the last coalition set up.

It would take a lot for me to vote labour since I spent 18months working for a local authority. In 10 years since I have never met a bigger bunch of umbitious mediocre work shy slackers. All just waiting for their undeserved pensions whilst complaining about working conditions etc etc etc. To a man and women they were labour.

Ah Local Government.....
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 61 [62] 63 64 65 ... 880   Go Up
Print
Jump to: