Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 ... 881   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 2007896 times)

Ignore
« Reply #330 on: Saturday, March 28, 2015, 17:34:07 »

This really annoys me.  I'm no Tory, but I do completely understand why a large proportion of the electorate votes for them.  In terms of economic competence, they wipe the floor with Labour.

I also dislike the cabal from elite public schools that runs the party, but to suggest that only the wealthy should vote for them is grossly simplistic and ignores a myriad of reasons why they are favoured by millions of voters.  And if you can show me stats that proves that Conservatives are more predisposed to paedophilia than anyone else, I'd love to see them.

No one likes cuts to public services.  But sadly, after the monumental fuck up of Balls/Brown 'no more boom & bust' years of the early 2000s, they are regrettably necessary.  Unless, of course, we are comfortable with saddling our grandchildren with crippling debts to pay for an uncosted, early 21st century spending splurge.  I know I'm not.
I get annoyed that anyone could vote Tory. Hey ho. Tell me how we'd have been better off had the Tories been in government pre financial meltdown? I'd think that even if things were better financially(which I doubt) the public services improved under Labour wouldn't be there to ruin now. Something else would be destroyed instead.

Er...Rotherham?
what's your point? Were Labour ministers ignoring mp's over Rotherham?
Thatcher and Leon Britain on the other hand eh?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #331 on: Saturday, March 28, 2015, 17:37:14 »

Economically, I am.  I recognise that.  Socially, I'm not.

I've voted for them once, in 1992.  But that was a sensible thing to do in 1992.

Of course it was.... 5 years of the most corrupt, sleaze riddled administration, since the 1832 Reform Act.  Privatised the railways as a final scorched earth policy as they retreated. Well done.
« Last Edit: Saturday, March 28, 2015, 17:40:41 by Reg Smeeton » Logged

Ignore
« Reply #332 on: Saturday, March 28, 2015, 17:53:24 »

That was kind of my point. Rotherham (and other examples) was/is a cover-up by the establishment; Police, Social Services and the Council.

Child abuse is a serious crime, and one that is politically neutral, to use it as a way of scoring political points as arriba did is pretty low and diminishes the scale of the problem.

Bollocks. Has nothing to do with point scoring. It's just another example of something I dislike them for.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #333 on: Saturday, March 28, 2015, 17:56:45 »

I get annoyed that anyone could vote Tory. Hey ho. Tell me how we'd have been better off had the Tories been in government pre financial meltdown? I'd think that even if things were better financially(which I doubt) the public services improved under Labour wouldn't be there to ruin now. Something else would be destroyed instead.
I agree on pretty much all of that.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
ghanimah

Ignore
« Reply #334 on: Saturday, March 28, 2015, 17:58:04 »

How anyone could vote Tory is beyond me unless you are loaded... Protect paedophiles.

I fully appreciate you don't like the Tories, and there are many decent reasons not to like them, but that was political point scoring using child abuse as a reason - when the issue covers members of all political parties. Please don't try to wriggle out of it.

"We perform the duties of freemen; we must have the privileges of freemen ..."

Ignore
« Reply #335 on: Saturday, March 28, 2015, 18:07:27 »

I fully appreciate you don't like the Tories, and there are many decent reasons not to like them, but that was political point scoring using child abuse as a reason - when the issue covers members of all political parties. Please don't try to wriggle out of it.

er, I'm not trying to wriggle out of anything. I've explained why I posted that comment. If you want to dismiss my reasons then fine but I listed a few examples. The peado cover up was one of a few.

People list historical happenings for current political debate, why is this issue, which happened on Thatcher's watch not a relevant reason for me not to have included it in the list of dislikes? That's all I did whether you accept that or not.
« Last Edit: Saturday, March 28, 2015, 18:13:00 by arriba » Logged
normy

Ignore
« Reply #336 on: Saturday, March 28, 2015, 18:09:54 »

I hated Blair, mainly for the Iraq War, but it seems strange that he is Cameron's hero and they are great social chums, if what I have read is correct. Does this suggest anything?  I'm confused.

ust be the oldest
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #337 on: Saturday, March 28, 2015, 18:44:23 »

Of course it was.... 5 years of the most corrupt, sleaze riddled administration, since the 1832 Reform Act.  Privatised the railways as a final scorched earth policy as they retreated. Well done.

Fair enough.  And I am sure that was at least partly why they did not get my vote in 1997.

I was referring more to the quality of the alternative on offer in 1992.  Wink

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #338 on: Saturday, March 28, 2015, 19:29:28 »

Fair enough.  And I am sure that was at least partly why they did not get my vote in 1997.

I was referring more to the quality of the alternative on offer in 1992.  Wink

You weren't the only one taken in by Rupert Murdoch, after all it was The Sun Wot Won It.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #339 on: Saturday, March 28, 2015, 20:06:47 »

Why bring Murdoch in to this?  The ginger twat in the video needed no help from anyone to end his domestic political career.
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #340 on: Saturday, March 28, 2015, 20:22:42 »

Never voted Tory before but will do in May. Hoping that some how there's a swing as a labour govt would be a disaster for the economy.  Plus not overly excited at the thought of a labour/Snp coalition. The efforts of bitter together may well come back and bite us on the backside.
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #341 on: Saturday, March 28, 2015, 20:50:34 »

It's going to be a coalition again. Looking at Tory policy and how the disadvantaged are penalised, while the privileged are protected, fills me with unease. I suppose it depends on whether you want a society where greed and selfishness are priorities and where welfare and fairness aren't. Don't get me wrong, I'm not enamoured by any of the options, but the Conservatives would never get my vote.

In response to those who see the Tories as somehow doing a good job, re austerity, it's interesting to see where all the cuts are coming from and what sectors of society aren't being penalised.

All in it together? Yeah, right.

It's All Good..............
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #342 on: Saturday, March 28, 2015, 20:53:36 »

Labour are no better than Tories. Professional politicians who have fuck all idea of the real world bar a few back benchers. Labour need to get rid of the north London intelligensia. They need to get a blunt northerner, simon danczuk possibly and get some real people on the front bench. They need to get back in touch with the working man. They are as far removed as Cameron and Gideon and the other posh boys
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #343 on: Saturday, March 28, 2015, 22:43:53 »

There really are no credible options this election. All of them are hopeless.

I don't like Cameron and can't stand Millaband. To be honest I'm not overly political but always make the effort to vote but this time I'm tempted not to bother at all and if I do it will probably be a spolit ballot.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #344 on: Saturday, March 28, 2015, 23:23:21 »

Tell me how we'd have been better off had the Tories been in government pre financial meltdown? I'd think that even if things were better financially(which I doubt) the public services improved under Labour wouldn't be there to ruin now.

Labour spent money we didn't have, so when the crash came we were harder hit than we would have been under a Tory government (as our debts wouldn't have been as high). We're still paying now for the Labour spending and will be for a long time to come. GWH being a good example, Labour get the credit for building it, but the current Tory government are the ones still having to find the money to continue making the payments on it.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 ... 881   Go Up
Print
Jump to: