Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 ... 880   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 1995735 times)
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #300 on: Friday, March 27, 2015, 09:52:16 »

I can understand people saying Miliband came across better last night, but I'm at a complete loss as to how anyone could think his performance was that of a Prime Minister. He does come across as genuine and honest but also as weak and easy to push around - the SNP will have a field day with him if Labour need their support to form a government.

I don't particularly like Cameron and I won't be voting Tory but we will all be royally fucked if Labour get in.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #301 on: Friday, March 27, 2015, 10:50:00 »

I can understand people saying Miliband came across better last night, but I'm at a complete loss as to how anyone could think his performance was that of a Prime Minister. He does come across as genuine and honest but also as weak and easy to push around - the SNP will have a field day with him if Labour need their support to form a government.

I don't particularly like Cameron and I won't be voting Tory but we will all be royally fucked if Labour get in.

They have just replayed the Miliband - Paxman interview, Paxman just really cannot be bothered anymore can he, his questions seemed to have as little substance as the answers!
kerry red

« Reply #302 on: Friday, March 27, 2015, 11:36:06 »

What I don't understand is if, as expected, the SNP win virtually all 57(?) Scottish seats, how come they voted against independence.

The sweaties just seem shit scared to go it alone but still turn their back on Westminster.

I would vote for any party that promised English independence.
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #303 on: Friday, March 27, 2015, 11:40:45 »

What I don't understand is if, as expected, the SNP win virtually all 57(?) Scottish seats, how come they voted against independence.

The more MPs they have the more influence they have at Westminster to influence their own affairs, whilst retaining the benefits of staying in the union
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #304 on: Friday, March 27, 2015, 11:54:01 »

The sweaties just seem shit scared to go it alone but still turn their back on Westminster.

I would vote for any party that promised English independence.

Two things.

Firstly, the First Past the Post (FPTP) voting system creates a distortion.  The SNP is on course - according to latest polls - to win approx 90% of the parliamentary seats in Scotland.  But they will do so with approx 45% of the popular vote.  And 45% was the proportion of the electorate that voted for independence.  No coincidence there.  So while it could well be an SNP landslide in Scotland, they will likely achieve it with a minority share of the vote.

FPTP distorts both results and political discussions.  You would think, from a lot of political commentary, that virtually all Scots are going to vote SNP in May.  Not true.  And you might also think that the Tory voter is all but extinct in Scotland.  Again, not true.  One in 7 voters in Scotland votes Tory; but the FPTP system conspires to give them just 1 MP (out of 59) up there.  Again, a distortion.

And secondly, there is deep unhappiness with Westminster politics across the UK.  You can see it in this thread.  In Scotland, voting SNP gives many up there a viable way of expressing that dissatisfaction.  There is not a similar viable option down here - other than UKIP, who appeal to a narrower base.
« Last Edit: Friday, March 27, 2015, 11:56:03 by Ardiles » Logged
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #305 on: Friday, March 27, 2015, 12:10:52 »

The most interesting political development recently, has been the Supreme Court's decision to back the Guardian, and quash the Tory's efforts to keep hidden Charlie's letters to ministers, which may undermine his "neutrality"

Will be interesting to see what these look like....as it potentially exposes the fault lines in our process of government, which look increasingly unfit for purpose in a post industrial, post colonial age.

ghanimah

Ignore
« Reply #306 on: Friday, March 27, 2015, 12:46:45 »

If nothing else the leaders' debates show that we should be electing Prime Ministers directly and formally separating out the government from MPs (legislative). Unless anyone lives in Doncaster, Witney or Sheffield (or indeed Thanet South) we don't have a say on who is PM.

"We perform the duties of freemen; we must have the privileges of freemen ..."
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #307 on: Friday, March 27, 2015, 12:53:14 »

If nothing else the leaders' debates show that we should be electing Prime Ministers directly and formally separating out the government from MPs (legislative). Unless anyone lives in Doncaster, Witney or Sheffield (or indeed Thanet South) we don't have a say on who is PM.

Do they show they show that we should be doing that? Or that half the country mindlessly thinks we are? The two are quite different.
ghanimah

Ignore
« Reply #308 on: Friday, March 27, 2015, 15:04:46 »

Do they show they show that we should be doing that? Or that half the country mindlessly thinks we are? The two are quite different.

That leaders' debates exist in itself is an indication...and via the polls we see that Labour, as a party, is more popular than the Tories but is being held back by the unpopularity of its leader.

Cameron according to polling is more popular than Miliband, but his party is not...

Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #309 on: Friday, March 27, 2015, 15:26:08 »

Cameron according to polling is more popular than Miliband, but his party is not...

...or maybe less unpopular?  Wink
ghanimah

Ignore
« Reply #310 on: Friday, March 27, 2015, 15:26:51 »

...or maybe less unpopular?  Wink

Yes... Smiley

sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #311 on: Friday, March 27, 2015, 20:24:03 »

Still voting Green.
manc_red