Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 ... 880   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 1996126 times)
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #150 on: Sunday, February 8, 2015, 11:33:15 »

Not a big fan of the Tory party, but Buckland has been a big help to my parents with a few issues regarding my brother's education so whatever else he may be, he's a good local MP. Which is another difficulty with our electoral system - in 2005 I wasn't eligible to vote but it would have been a very tough choice as Julia Drown was an excellent constituency MP but Labour was suffering from the Iraq hangover (as it was, Drown stood down, but you get the point)

On the other hand, I didn't hear too many positive things about Snelgrove, who I believe is re-standing for Labour in South Swindon.

Ignore
« Reply #151 on: Sunday, February 8, 2015, 11:46:44 »

Not a big fan of the Tory party, but Buckland has been a big help to my parents with a few issues regarding my brother's education so whatever else he may be, he's a good local MP. Which is another difficulty with our electoral system - in 2005 I wasn't eligible to vote but it would have been a very tough choice as Julia Drown was an excellent constituency MP but Labour was suffering from the Iraq hangover (as it was, Drown stood down, but you get the point)

On the other hand, I didn't hear too many positive things about Snelgrove, who I believe is re-standing for Labour in South Swindon.
He may have helped you on an individual basis and that's good to hear but that doesn't excuse him or his party.

Agree about Julia drown, she was excellent. Also agree about snelgrove but to be fair she knocked on my door recently and I grilled her. She was very reasonable She got too close to Gordon Brown but is still the best option I reckon.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #152 on: Sunday, February 8, 2015, 12:12:33 »

I find Snelgrove intensely irritating, and she comes across as a suck up career politician. Which presumably isn't true given her age. But I have heard some good remarks regarding her local work.

But I think you've made a good point. How do you pick when your local MP is actually pretty good for your area, but when the party the represent are a bunch of (ed) ball bags
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #153 on: Sunday, February 8, 2015, 12:59:25 »

Your local MP is going to be whipped to vote along party lines in all of the important votes...so the party consideration comes first, in my book.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #154 on: Sunday, February 8, 2015, 13:28:03 »

Interesting that the Labour wipe out predicted in Scotland this May could lead, in all probability, to a Labour/SNP coalition at Westminster.

Guardian: Scotland Poll Shows a Nation on the Verge of Abandoning Labour

I'm trying to work through the likely chain of events that would follow if Labour tried to form a government with the SNP.  One way or another, I think that there's a good chance that it could lead to independence for Scotland by the back door.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #155 on: Sunday, February 8, 2015, 13:34:17 »

Your local MP is going to be whipped to vote along party lines in all of the important votes...so the party consideration comes first, in my book.

Yes, I think so.

Ignore
« Reply #156 on: Sunday, February 8, 2015, 14:03:56 »

Did you see inside the commons? The Tories send e-mails to their mps telling them to ask camoron prepared questions at pmq's. Rather than using the time to do their job and represent their constituents. I wonder if our Tory boy wanker mps have followed these orders?
ghanimah

Ignore
« Reply #157 on: Sunday, February 8, 2015, 14:07:35 »

Did you see inside the commons? The Tories send e-mails to their mps telling them to ask camoron prepared questions at pmq's. Rather than using the time to do their job and represent their constituents. I wonder if our Tory boy wanker mps have followed these orders?

That's long been the case, under Labour it became embarrassing it was so obvious. The problem largely arises from the fact the legislature is not properly separate from the government. MPs have a vested interest in being sycophantic so they can get a ministerial job etc.

"We perform the duties of freemen; we must have the privileges of freemen ..."
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #158 on: Sunday, February 8, 2015, 14:23:55 »

Quite interesting that program, although the nature of the internal politics of Westminster is a joke. It did show that there are some decent MPs out there as well (the 2 birds), irrispective of your party allegiance

Ignore
« Reply #159 on: Sunday, February 8, 2015, 15:18:16 »

That's long been the case, under Labour it became embarrassing it was so obvious. The problem largely arises from the fact the legislature is not properly separate from the government. MPs have a vested interest in being sycophantic so they can get a ministerial job etc.
Agree. That's what grated me with snelgrove. I think anyone asking preloaded questions should be ousted. The practice itself should be banned from the commons.
Quite interesting that program, although the nature of the internal politics of Westminster is a joke. It did show that there are some decent MPs out there as well (the 2 birds), irrispective of your party allegiance
agreed
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #160 on: Sunday, February 8, 2015, 15:32:00 »

Of course, the saintly Mr Buckland, so beloved of some on here, would never do anything wrong to further his own interests...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2698664/New-law-chief-guilty-misconduct-race-hate-trial-didn-t-tell-PM-Professional-misconduct-illicitly-getting-case-notes-involving-school-governor.html
Ironside
Wir müssen die Liberalen ausrotten

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #161 on: Sunday, February 8, 2015, 16:32:19 »

What makes me laugh about this election is that there are actually people who will vote for the Labour party, the Liberal Democrats and the Conservative Party. That's the thing that's fucking insane!

Genius, Gentleman Explorer, French Cabaret Chantoose  and Small Bets Placed and someone who knows who they are changed my signature but its only know that I can be arsed to change it....and I mean all the spelling mistakes.

Was it me? It can't have been an interesting enough event for me to remember - fB.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #162 on: Sunday, February 8, 2015, 16:43:51 »

What makes me laugh about this election is that there are actually people who will vote for the Labour party, the Liberal Democrats and the Conservative Party. That's the thing that's fucking insane!

Yep....would be so much better if people never bothered, so leaving the way open for the BNP....I see why you equate this to insanity.
« Last Edit: Sunday, February 8, 2015, 16:46:23 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
Ironside
Wir müssen die Liberalen ausrotten

Ignore
« Reply #163 on: Sunday, February 8, 2015, 16:56:36 »

Yep....would be so much better if people never bothered, so leaving the way open for the BNP....I see why you equate this to insanity.
The definition of insanity, according to Einstein: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. That sounds like a typical Labour voter to me.

Genius, Gentleman Explorer, French Cabaret Chantoose  and Small Bets Placed and someone who knows who they are changed my signature but its only know that I can be arsed to change it....and I mean all the spelling mistakes.

Was it me? It can't have been an interesting enough event for me to remember - fB.

Ignore
« Reply #164 on: Sunday, February 8, 2015, 17:16:33 »

I take it you'll be voting for the respect party, ironside?
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 ... 880   Go Up
Print
Jump to: