Pages: 1 ... 644 645 646 [647] 648 649 650 ... 881   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 2015481 times)
Flashheart

« Reply #9690 on: Monday, May 4, 2020, 10:28:41 »

After Gove's equally repllent wife tweeted a photo of their bookcase with lots of dictator fan books, she's now posted another with books including the Bell Curve, a notorious and long discredited racist tome which argues that blacks are intellectually inferior to whites, and the work of holocaust denier David Irving. Lovely couple

Small wonder that this govt thought it would be fine to employ eugenicists. Or that the coronavirus strategy was to let it sweep through the "herd" and so what if a few thousand pensioners died.

Dog whistles?
StfcRusty

Ignore
« Reply #9691 on: Monday, May 4, 2020, 10:28:53 »

After Gove's equally repllent wife tweeted a photo of their bookcase with lots of dictator fan books, she's now posted another with books including the Bell Curve, a notorious and long discredited racist tome which argues that blacks are intellectually inferior to whites, and the work of holocaust denier David Irving. Lovely couple

Small wonder that this govt thought it would be fine to employ eugenicists. Or that the coronavirus strategy was to let it sweep through the "herd" and so what if a few thousand pensioners died.

Whilst I think Gove is odious, despise his politics and his wife seems like someone who would be very difficult to like, I don't think owning/reading a book equates to agreeing or endorsing its contents.  Sometimes it's important to read things you vehemently disagree with, just to understand them.

Not quite the same but I regularly read the Daily Mail comments section.  I find most of the comments depressing and abhorrent and think the people that write what they write are some of the worst types of people.  But it's important to know those views are out there (en masse) as its only then that you have any chance of figuring out why people think like that.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #9692 on: Monday, May 4, 2020, 10:47:59 »

Whilst I think Gove is odious, despise his politics and his wife seems like someone who would be very difficult to like, I don't think owning/reading a book equates to agreeing or endorsing its contents.  Sometimes it's important to read things you vehemently disagree with, just to understand them.

Not quite the same but I regularly read the Daily Mail comments section.  I find most of the comments depressing and abhorrent and think the people that write what they write are some of the worst types of people.  But it's important to know those views are out there (en masse) as its only then that you have any chance of figuring out why people think like that.
Completely agree, but the Bell Curve isn't a serious work that needs repudiating, it's just racist nonsense. And it's not like the Goves need to be made aware of pseudo-intellectual justifications for racism, given she works for the Mail and he works for eugenicists. Likewise David Irving isn't a serious historian, he's an apologist for the Holocaust. These are both just pseudo-intellectual excusers of extreme racist views, the Bell Curve white supremacist, Irving anti-semitic
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #9693 on: Monday, May 4, 2020, 10:53:11 »

Bloody hell, turns out ministers do still resign when they abuse their position, thought that went out of fashion last century

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-52531078
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #9694 on: Monday, May 4, 2020, 11:06:14 »

Whilst I think Gove is odious, despise his politics and his wife seems like someone who would be very difficult to like, I don't think owning/reading a book equates to agreeing or endorsing its contents.  Sometimes it's important to read things you vehemently disagree with, just to understand them.

Not quite the same but I regularly read the Daily Mail comments section.  I find most of the comments depressing and abhorrent and think the people that write what they write are some of the worst types of people.  But it's important to know those views are out there (en masse) as its only then that you have any chance of figuring out why people think like that.

The other picture is as good, its almost like they have a thing for short arsed dictators!

FWIW a lot depends on the context in which you purchased the piece. As a history student, I have a copy of Mein Kampft knocking around somewhere in the attic as we studied that as a background source, however I would not display it on a bookshelf if I ever found it again, likewise on the bookshelf next to me now I have works by Orwell and Engels and a biography of Moseley.

However to take that photo she is either very dim, or just showing off her credentials as a kind of fortnum and mason Hatey Cockpins.
ibelieveinmrreeves
Should've gone to Specsavers

Ignore
« Reply #9695 on: Monday, May 4, 2020, 13:02:21 »

All done for attention and the creation of some false victimhood. Almost wondering if Vine is somehow more odious than her husband.

Even men with steel hearts love to see a dog on the pitch.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #9696 on: Monday, May 4, 2020, 13:23:09 »

All done for attention and the creation of some false victimhood. Almost wondering if Vine is somehow more odious than her husband.

Oh she is the power behind him, she is the link to Murdoch from which he achieves his influence!
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #9697 on: Monday, May 4, 2020, 14:20:49 »

So...

Wilfred Lawrie Nicholas Johnson

Will, Law, Nick, Johnson?

Ignore
« Reply #9698 on: Thursday, May 7, 2020, 11:36:37 »

Starmer was very impressive in PMQ's yesterday. Boris not so impressive without his moronic bunch of braying cretins there to aid him.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #9699 on: Friday, May 8, 2020, 08:37:17 »

So apparently Stanley Johnson was on Good Morning Britain and said this:

"“I actually broke the lockdown rule … but I went, I said ‘there’s bound to be something in the papers’ and went across to the garage … I said ‘I know I’m not really meant to be out buying a newspaper I’m not sure it’s an essential journey but I just think there’s something in the paper today about my 14th grandchild’.”

Rachel Johnson has 3 children, Jo Johnson has 2. So Alexander de Pfeffel would appear to have 9 kids. And the gall to write columns castigating single parents for being "feckless".
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #9700 on: Friday, May 8, 2020, 09:35:24 »

were they going to st Ives?
mystical_goat

Ignore
« Reply #9701 on: Friday, May 8, 2020, 10:43:45 »

So apparently Stanley Johnson was on Good Morning Britain and said this:

"“I actually broke the lockdown rule … but I went, I said ‘there’s bound to be something in the papers’ and went across to the garage … I said ‘I know I’m not really meant to be out buying a newspaper I’m not sure it’s an essential journey but I just think there’s something in the paper today about my 14th grandchild’.”

Rachel Johnson has 3 children, Jo Johnson has 2. So Alexander de Pfeffel would appear to have 9 kids. And the gall to write columns castigating single parents for being "feckless".

Stanley has been married twice and had 6 kids though, not 3.
Valid Pint

« Reply #9702 on: Friday, May 8, 2020, 10:54:26 »

Yeah, get your facts right
Flashheart

« Reply #9703 on: Friday, May 8, 2020, 11:08:29 »

Apparently he was only asking because he wanted to bring his kids out once the cameras had gone.*

*Edit. The cameraman has since confirmed this, and there's actually film of Starmer politley asking for this reason.

That won't stop the likes of the Daily Mail lying about it, and it won't stop their readers from lapping it up. Hopefully he is able to deal with it better than Corbyn was.

pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #9704 on: Friday, May 8, 2020, 11:12:43 »

Stanley has been married twice and had 6 kids though, not 3.
Ah, hadn't thought of that. Thanks. As you were.
Pages: 1 ... 644 645 646 [647] 648 649 650 ... 881   Go Up
Print
Jump to: