Pages: 1 ... 638 639 640 [641] 642 643 644 ... 880   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 1996117 times)
Valid Pint

« Reply #9600 on: Thursday, March 12, 2020, 06:56:47 »

Benefit of the UK leaving the EU: UK not included in flight ban with USA. Good news for ex-pats in States I guess. A failure of EU.
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #9601 on: Thursday, March 12, 2020, 07:04:13 »

Benefit of the UK leaving the EU: UK not included in flight ban with USA. Good news for ex-pats in States I guess. A failure of EU.

I don't think Ireland are included either.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
StfcRusty

Ignore
« Reply #9602 on: Thursday, March 12, 2020, 07:22:32 »

I don't think Ireland are included either.

Or Bulgaria, Croatia and Romania.
Iceland and Switzerland are included though (neither are in the EU)
Valid Pint

« Reply #9603 on: Thursday, March 12, 2020, 07:41:49 »

So it is the core of the western European countries? Those affected by EU regulations, and their neighbours whose political borders are ignored by disease.
The remainers got their wish about potential shortages in shops and unfair restriction of movement.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #9604 on: Thursday, March 12, 2020, 09:09:14 »

It's really not. It's just Trump looking for someone to blame for the "foreign virus". Because viral infections always respect political alliances.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #9605 on: Thursday, March 12, 2020, 09:36:14 »

So it is the core of the western European countries? Those affected by EU regulations, and their neighbours whose political borders are ignored by disease.
The remainers got their wish about potential shortages in shops and unfair restriction of movement.

D- for tolling.

Are you Dominic Raab, are you not aware of the channel tunnel?

The main driver for Trumps ban seems to be based upon whether or not they speak English in a country, that and where he has resorts located obviously.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #9606 on: Thursday, March 12, 2020, 10:17:54 »

In case you were wondering, the cunt point was from me for joining Trump in putting petty political points-scoring ahead of genuine health considerations. Well done, you blimp.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #9607 on: Thursday, March 12, 2020, 11:02:49 »

D- for tolling.

E- for speling

Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #9608 on: Thursday, March 12, 2020, 11:05:21 »

E- for speling

Cheesy

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #9609 on: Thursday, March 12, 2020, 11:36:54 »

E- for speling

Better than I used to get! 
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #9610 on: Thursday, March 12, 2020, 12:20:36 »

The flight ban and blame on the EU is based on Trump's calculation of how it might play in the November election.

If it were driven by health considerations, the twat would have consulted with his EU counterparts.

Unfortunately, like him or loathe him, there is no place for partisan gamesmanship at the present time - rather co-operation is required.  From an international trade viewpoint, Trump has been stirring it up with China, the EU and has even been linking a US UK trade deal with the UK's sovereign decision over its 3G future.

What we will desperately need, whenever we start to come out of this, is actions that will be conducive to world trade, not unilateral arm wrestling with bans, tariffs, embargos and such like.

Depending on how Coronavirus all pans out, I can see commonsense grounds for extending the transition period.  A No Deal (which I accept some Brexitists see as desirable as a negotiating ploy or even as an end in itself) could just be a crazy act of economic self harm if much of the world inc the UK is convalescing after or indeed caught up in recession.

Obviously it would be "political" if this happened.  We'd have to change our own statute barring any extension. However, I would really like to see the EU help the UK in de-politicising such a decision (if it did become economically prudent) and for an increased level of co-operation to ensue.

Trump is absolutely the wrong man for such times.
« Last Edit: Thursday, March 12, 2020, 12:22:57 by RedRag » Logged
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #9611 on: Thursday, March 12, 2020, 12:30:23 »

The flight ban and blame on the EU is based on Trump's calculation of how it might play in the November election.

If it were driven by health considerations, the twat would have consulted with his EU counterparts.

Unfortunately, like him or loathe him, there is no place for partisan gamesmanship at the present time - rather co-operation is required.  From an international trade viewpoint, Trump has been stirring it up with China, the EU and has even been linking a US UK trade deal with the UK's sovereign decision over its 3G future.

What we will desperately need, whenever we start to come out of this, is actions that will be conducive to world trade, not unilateral arm wrestling with bans, tariffs, embargos and such like.

Depending on how Coronavirus all pans out, I can see commonsense grounds for extending the transition period.  A No Deal (which I accept some Brexitists see as desirable as a negotiating ploy or even as an end in itself) could just be a crazy act of economic self harm if much of the world inc the UK is convalescing after or indeed caught up in recession.

Obviously it would be "political" if this happened.  We'd have to change our own statute barring any extension. However, I would really like to see the EU help the UK in de-politicising such a decision (if it did become economically prudent) and for an increased level of co-operation to ensue.

Trump is absolutely the wrong man for such times.
I'm afraid your hope that politics can be taken out of the decisions around coronavirus and recovery from it already seem doomed. The govt have already signalled, by pulling out of the European Pandemic Early Warning and Response System, that they place how Brexit "plays" above public health. Commonsense has long since left the building
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #9612 on: Thursday, March 12, 2020, 12:33:11 »

Trump has been stirring it up with China, the EU and has even been linking a US UK trade deal with the UK's sovereign decision over its 3G future.

Just picking up on this, whilst its atopic way outside my area of expertise (or even basic knowledge) I was speaking with a guy who works in mobile technology the other week who suggested that the main reason that the US have a bee in their bonnet about Huiwei and 5G is that they will not have the ability to hack into it if its Chinese led?
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #9613 on: Thursday, March 12, 2020, 12:38:50 »

Interesting.

I'm not knowledgeable enough to have any direct view on Huawei's involvement in 5G infrastructure.  ( I see how I mistakenly referred to our "3G" future - shows how techy I am  Smiley )

It's just after all the "sovereignty" hullabaloo, I find it more than co-incidental that it is the Brexitists in the HC who want us to follow Trump's view on how we should proceed.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #9614 on: Thursday, March 12, 2020, 12:43:57 »

It's just after all the "sovereignty" hullabaloo, I find it more than co-incidental that it is the Brexitists in the HC who want us to follow Trump's view on how we should proceed.
Most were, but (e.g.) Damian Green is firmly One Nation.
Pages: 1 ... 638 639 640 [641] 642 643 644 ... 880   Go Up
Print
Jump to: