Pages: 1 ... 595 596 597 [598] 599 600 601 ... 880   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 2004964 times)
Flashheart

« Reply #8955 on: Saturday, December 21, 2019, 10:07:44 »

As did the majority of Swindon and the majority of the UK.

No they did not. Not even the majority of voters voted Tory.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #8956 on: Saturday, December 21, 2019, 12:40:14 »

FPTP has so much to answer for.  The Tories have a majority of MPs, which allows them to convey the impression that they have a majority in the country for their policies - which they do not.  In just about any other western democracy, they would need coalition partners to implement their programme instead of the carte blanche they have here.  It won't change.
Outletred

Ignore
« Reply #8957 on: Saturday, December 21, 2019, 12:57:44 »

FPTP has so much to answer for.  The Tories have a majority of MPs, which allows them to convey the impression that they have a majority in the country for their policies - which they do not.  In just about any other western democracy, they would need coalition partners to implement their programme instead of the carte blanche they have here.  It won't change.

No different to when Tony Blair won a 66 seat majority in 2005 with only 35% of the vote-far less than the Tories got this time.

Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #8958 on: Saturday, December 21, 2019, 13:08:01 »

I completely agree.  FPTP disproportionately rewards the largest party at the expense of smaller parties.  It always has.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #8959 on: Saturday, December 21, 2019, 13:18:11 »

FPTP has so much to answer for.  The Tories have a majority of MPs, which allows them to convey the impression that they have a majority in the country for their policies - which they do not.  In just about any other western democracy, they would need coalition partners to implement their programme instead of the carte blanche they have here.  It won't change.

The boundary commission could also be given a poke with a sharp stick if ever there was a move to reduce the number of MPs to 600.
The Sun (and by default the rest of the right wing media) were moaning that the current configuration still favours Labour.
Apparently the intervention of the Brexit party prevented another 20 Labour seats going to the Uncombed Messiah.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #8960 on: Saturday, December 21, 2019, 13:29:56 »

I completely agree.  FPTP disproportionately rewards the largest party at the expense of smaller parties.  It always has.

Which is why Britain is the only country in Europe that uses it in general elections. But you know, Britain knows best, mother of democracy blah blah blah.  Zzz

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #8961 on: Saturday, December 21, 2019, 13:35:42 »

No they did not. Not even the majority of voters voted Tory.

You have cropped my quote.

"I had my reasons. As did the majority of Swindon and the UK"

Ignore
« Reply #8962 on: Friday, December 27, 2019, 22:10:19 »

A knighthood for Iain Duncan Smith.
There's nothing I can really add to that...
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #8963 on: Friday, December 27, 2019, 22:17:02 »

A knighthood for Iain Duncan Smith.
There's nothing I can really add to that...

Top man i’d Suggest.
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #8964 on: Saturday, December 28, 2019, 07:58:24 »

Never really been a fan of Topman. Ciro Citerrio was a favourite of mine.

Nothing to see here
Bathtime

Ignore
« Reply #8965 on: Sunday, December 29, 2019, 10:33:04 »

This did make I smile...

Bathtime
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #8966 on: Sunday, December 29, 2019, 12:04:22 »

Something everyone agrees on, I guess...that the Brexit vote was a giant 'fuck off'.  If you voted Leave, stuff like this is funny.  But if you didn't, it just reinforces the view that it was an anguished wail from the disaffected, and that the elusive 'positive case for Brexit' is unlikely to turn up.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #8967 on: Sunday, December 29, 2019, 12:39:00 »

This did make I smile...

Few things;

It's an inaccurate parody. The BBC were very firmly wedged head first inside the crevice of the Tory cabinet.

So still only a third of the British Public told everyone else to "Fuck off". With nearly another third telling others to not fuck off and over a third not even being able to have their say. That's democracy for you I guess. Still, the parody is inaccurate.

It's a shit parody. No real flow, regardless of political leaning. It's just shit.

He's dressed like a cunt (intentionally no doubt).

Since it's all dubbed. I bet those people in the bar being asked to say "Fuck off" in unison probably had no idea what it was being filmed for. Just the usual 'Do you want to be on TV, the envy of your friends, and get to swear?'.

Oh, how very Tory led too. So inaccuracies go hand in hand I guess. Might be worth revisiting some of those lyrics in about 4 years.

It still isn't funny. Even if you voted Leave.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #8968 on: Sunday, December 29, 2019, 12:50:48 »

Never really been a fan of Topman. Ciro Citerrio was a favourite of mine.

Can’t beat a well turned out and groomed man wearing David Moss clothes.
GosportNob

Ignore
« Reply #8969 on: Sunday, December 29, 2019, 13:00:14 »

Few points from someone who voted remain but respects democracy:-
1) What positive reasons did those that wished to remain in the EU give prior to the referendum? ( Project fear was not a positive approach in my opinion)
2) Presumably those wishing to remain would have argued for a second referendum if the numbers had been reversed.
3) I am unaware of any national vote/election receiving more than 50% of the number eligable to vote. Presumably all of these occasions should have been followed by a peoples/confimation/second referendum?

Respect the result even if you don't agree. The other options lead to anarchy.
Pages: 1 ... 595 596 597 [598] 599 600 601 ... 880   Go Up
Print
Jump to: