Pages: 1 ... 585 586 587 [588] 589 590 591 ... 881   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 2014221 times)
Flashheart

« Reply #8805 on: Friday, December 13, 2019, 09:30:45 »

I am going to shock you here, I am not an expert on the way that unemployment is calculated in either France nor Spain, however I spoke to someone regarding this very issue in the UK just last week as they were also trying to portray the UK as some sort of employment utoipia.

Research suggests real UK figure should be around 13%

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/oct/17/unemployment-figures-should-be-millions-higher-says-research

One of the things that may well have been revealed to the public had Boris and the tories been scrutinised effectively. 

At least we did get to find out how he butters his scones. The stuff the public really needed to know.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #8806 on: Friday, December 13, 2019, 09:35:58 »

When they looked to Labour for a clear Brexit policy going forward it was a nothing policy.

Massive fuck up from Labour

Absolutely. Labour played an awful campaign. In my eyes, their manifesto shows a lot more positive policies than the Tories, but that was never going to be enough with Brexit and Corbyn involved. Huge own goal from them.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Flashheart

« Reply #8807 on: Friday, December 13, 2019, 09:37:31 »

Corbyn clearly has to go. He should be pushed out if he won't go willingly.

But who to replace him? The tories are going to play every dirty trick in the book so the opposition needs somebody with a bit of grit about them; somebody that can play a bit dirty as well if needed. I thought Barry Gardiner did well this campaign. Whoever it is is going to need to be media savvy as well because they'll be the next target to be vilified by the pro-tory press.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #8808 on: Friday, December 13, 2019, 09:38:24 »

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Jo Swinson yet

Crap campaign, got largely ignored by the media after the first week, although she was put under considerably greater scrutiny than the PM was, a case study that being a good MP does not necessarily make you a decent leader (see also Farron T). No idea who her replacement will be as it needs to be sorted sharpish, would probably have been Berger is she had got in (less said about that the better) now possibly Moran.

Comparing her speech to Corbyns was interesting.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #8809 on: Friday, December 13, 2019, 09:44:48 »

To put the collapse in the north into perspective.

Labour majorities in red wall seats in 1997:

Sedgefield: 25,143
Leigh: 24,496
Bishop Auckland: 21,064
Redcar: 21,664
Workington: 19,656
Bassetlaw: 17,460
Great Grimsby: 16,244
Darlington: 16,025
Wakefield: 14,604
Scunthorpe: 14,173
Clwyd South: 13,810

All have gone blue now.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #8810 on: Friday, December 13, 2019, 09:47:37 »

When they looked to Labour for a clear Brexit policy going forward it was a nothing policy.

Massive fuck up from Labour
Quite. And Cobyn, as I've been saying consistently, is just toxic. At least we'll see the back of him. Hopefully he takes his overgrown student Trots with him. Labour have probably got a decade now to sort themselves out and work out whether they actually want to be in govt so they can improve people's lives or just sit in the corner whinging

As for the rest, well, the county has had it's say as they say. No need for a second referendum, the public have clearly voted to "Get Brexit Done". Whether they like how that actually turns out, or all the baggage that comes with it, we'll see.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #8811 on: Friday, December 13, 2019, 09:48:14 »

The big questions are now if the Tories can move even further to the right.  Will the crypto fascists settle for Johnson's WA, or will they be hankering for No Deal in late 2020?  Will there be a return to the bullet and bomb in NI?  Will Scotland cede from the Union.

Big issues and ones which will require competent government.....
Mister Lorenzo
Dirk Diggler

Ignore
« Reply #8812 on: Friday, December 13, 2019, 09:51:34 »

I've just seen the country map.... and its almost a blue-wash! Thats insane. Even Redcar voted blue.

The main take away for me though is that this crushing defeat for Labour has been dealt by what I would consider a bunch of cretins on the Conservative side. I mean I am glad Labour haven't got in both because I think we need continuity right now and because their policies didn't even stand up to even gentle scrutiny with a solar powered casio calculator. But Boris isn't a particularly likeable chap for me; the wittering buffoon shtick doesn't do it for me and the rest of them are out of touch....

...But just how far out of touch do you have to be to get utterly crushed by those jokers? Crazy.

Wasn't Corbyn, when originally voted in as an MP(??), put up as a bit of a joke to fill an empty spot? I remember seeing the faces of the party members when it backfired and he won. Now him and his stooges have topped the party.
Mister Lorenzo
Dirk Diggler

Ignore
« Reply #8813 on: Friday, December 13, 2019, 09:53:19 »

The big questions are now if the Tories can move even further to the right.  Will the crypto fascists settle for Johnson's WA, or will they be hankering for No Deal in late 2020?  Will there be a return to the bullet and bomb in NI?  Will Scotland cede from the Union.

Today, hopefully Boris will start to re-build the political divide, his policies are really quite central and not far right as Labour labelled it.

In many previous elections his manifesto could have been bracketed similar to a Labour manifesto, it was only the far left Labour Party that tried to make out it was right wing.

Boris is not everyones cup of tea, but he's hopefully someone that can now take our country forward.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #8814 on: Friday, December 13, 2019, 10:02:06 »

Johnsons WA goes through in January (if not before now), we then have 12 months till December to agree a deal, setting out our future relationships. I have not seen anyone who has been involved in intercountry trad deals etc suggesting there is a cat in hells chance of geting it sorted by December 2010, so I suspect no deal is pretty much inevitable now.

Its going to be interesting to see how he keeps all the plates spinning, he was basically put in by the working class vote (who obviously have different aspirations to the hedge fund managers and Russian Oligarchs) so now he has a very diverse supporter base that its going to be nigh impossible to keep all happy.

They cannot keep him in a fridge indefinitely and what with his habit of being a liability (well known in the party) I would not be at all surprised to see a different PM in place come 12 months time.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #8815 on: Friday, December 13, 2019, 10:03:40 »

Wasn't Corbyn, when originally voted in as an MP(??), put up as a bit of a joke to fill an empty spot? I remember seeing the faces of the party members when it backfired and he won. Now him and his stooges have topped the party.

It was the leadership election, I recall he was nominated as it was thought there should be a  left winger on the ballot.
« Last Edit: Friday, December 13, 2019, 10:08:44 by horlock07 » Logged
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #8816 on: Friday, December 13, 2019, 10:03:47 »

The main take away for me though is that this crushing defeat for Labour has been dealt by what I would consider a bunch of cretins on the Conservative side. I mean I am glad Labour haven't got in both because I think we need continuity right now and because their policies didn't even stand up to even gentle scrutiny with a solar powered casio calculator. But Boris isn't a particularly likeable chap for me; the wittering buffoon shtick doesn't do it for me and the rest of them are out of touch....

...But just how far out of touch do you have to be to get utterly crushed by those jokers? Crazy.
Been saying that for weeks.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #8817 on: Friday, December 13, 2019, 10:04:28 »

It was the leadership election, I recall he was nominated as it was thought there should be a right winger on the ballot.
*left winger. But yes, that was why he was there. But the PLP didn't account for how left wing the membership had become
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #8818 on: Friday, December 13, 2019, 10:10:41 »

Been saying that for weeks.

Johnson only got c.1.2% more of the vote than May got in 2017 whilst the Labour vote was down over 8%.

It appears that Labour lost it more than the Tories won it!

*left winger. But yes, that was why he was there. But the PLP didn't account for how left wing the membership had become

Already corrected!

Ignore
« Reply #8819 on: Friday, December 13, 2019, 10:54:42 »

I hope Corbyn, Abbott and others now start legal proceedings against numerous people for libel, slander etc, etc.
Take a step back from frontline politics and go after the bastards
Pages: 1 ... 585 586 587 [588] 589 590 591 ... 881   Go Up
Print
Jump to: