Pages: 1 ... 559 560 561 [562] 563 564 565 ... 881   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 2018936 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #8415 on: Thursday, December 5, 2019, 16:06:32 »

It is?

How so?

It's a great shame that Labour led by Jewish Ed Milliband, never won the 2015 GE.  That way we could be having another election in the summer, after a period of stability to try and sort out some of the pressing issues that have been caused by austerity.  Instead we've had near on 5 years of Tory chaos, with bizarrely every indicator that it will now get worse.

pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #8416 on: Thursday, December 5, 2019, 16:11:29 »

What are the odds that Trump is actually pushed out of office?  More than zero?  How does it work?
It's now a political process. The Democrats need to persuade enough Republican senators to vote for impeachment. So little or fuck all
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #8417 on: Thursday, December 5, 2019, 16:11:47 »

It's a great shame that Labour led by Jewish Ed Milliband, never won the 2015 GE.  That way we could be having another election in the summer, after a period of stability to try and sort out some of the pressing issues that have been caused by austerity.  Instead we've had near on 5 years of Tory chaos, with bizarrely every indicator that it will now get worse.

If 'the people' vote in a 4th consecutive Tory administration against that backdrop, it will be the clearest indicator yet that this country is irredeemably fucked.  A dystopian cocktail of self harm & Stockholm Syndrome.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #8418 on: Thursday, December 5, 2019, 16:22:07 »

I’d say it points more to a completely unelectable Labour Party in its present form. All the convoluted hoo-ha about anti-semitism isn’t much of a vote loser, imo. It’s the policies people don’t want.

They want a Blair Labour Party - or Tory lite, if you will.
Mister Lorenzo
Dirk Diggler

Ignore
« Reply #8419 on: Thursday, December 5, 2019, 16:25:27 »

What happens when you give Labour supporters Corbyn quotes on Jews, but pretend it was Boris who said them.

It quite clearly shows the cult of St Jeremy that is endemic amongst Labour activists and quite a few on this forum!
Flashheart

« Reply #8420 on: Thursday, December 5, 2019, 16:26:44 »

It’s the policies people don’t want.

He was the devil incarnate long before his manifesto was released.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #8421 on: Thursday, December 5, 2019, 16:36:03 »

Oh, correct. He’s just not the sort of PM your average Brit would vote for. They know, with Boris, they’ll still get shafted, but it’s the sort of shafting they’re used to or expecting.

Corbyn’s retro policies is scary to a lot of people. Much the same as why Michael Foot was never, ever a credible PM.

They’re both great for party activists but when it comes to an election they’re a complete no no.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #8422 on: Thursday, December 5, 2019, 16:47:12 »

I’d say it points more to a completely unelectable Labour Party in its present form. All the convoluted hoo-ha about anti-semitism isn’t much of a vote loser, imo. It’s the policies people don’t want.

They want a Blair Labour Party - or Tory lite, if you will.

It isn't that simple, going back to 2015, Milliband stood on a very moderate platform, but was still slaughtered by the MSM, he was Red Ed, a bit geeky, and couldn't eat a bacon sandwich.  Worse he was Jewish and his father was a Marxist academic refugee.

It will make bugger all difference who Labour put up, they will still get slaughtered.... the media owners fear that a Labour government  may wish to implement the recommendations of the Leveson Inquiry into phone hacking etc, and that their of fshore tax status may be brought into question by either the EU or a Labour Government.   Having a couple of their employees in Johnson and Gove lieing their way into office suits them just fine
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #8423 on: Thursday, December 5, 2019, 17:02:08 »

Yes, you really do have to wonder how much worse the promised 'chaos under Ed Miliband' could possibly have been...
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #8424 on: Thursday, December 5, 2019, 17:02:38 »

It will make bugger all difference who Labour put up, they will still get slaughtered.... the media owners fear that a Labour government  may wish to implement the recommendations of the Leveson Inquiry into phone hacking etc, and that their of fshore tax status may be brought into question by either the EU or a Labour Government.   Having a couple of their employees in Johnson and Gove lieing their way into office suits them just fine
That's always been the case, going right back to the Zinoviev forgery in the 1920s (another Daily Mail classic) the media have been biased against Labour. If Labour want to gain power and make a difference, they need to find a way to overcome that, otherwise they're doomed to permanently whinging about the rigged system in opposition. They could start by electing a leader who doesn't constantly shoot himself and his party in the foot.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #8425 on: Thursday, December 5, 2019, 17:03:33 »

What are the odds that Trump is actually pushed out of office?  More than zero?  How does it work?

Zero, they would need double digit defections in the Senate to remove him from office.  They've already shown their hand that they won;t do this.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #8426 on: Thursday, December 5, 2019, 17:13:58 »

Zero, they would need double digit defections in the Senate to remove him from office.  They've already shown their hand that they won;t do this.

Though that's not really the point of this. The Dems can do the sums just as well as you. The calculation is that by dominating the news cycle with all this dirt over several weeks, forcing the Republicans to contort themselves into such desperate defences of the indefensible, they expose the GOP's credibility gap to enough of the electorate before the next election. That's where Pelosi was clever to hold off on the repeated calls to impeach before now.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #8427 on: Thursday, December 5, 2019, 17:17:00 »

Thank fuck there's only one more week of this left. My facebook feed is filled with more bollocks than a vets castration waste receptacle. It's a great shame that most people are more interested in personalities, as opposed to policies.

It's All Good..............
Flashheart

« Reply #8428 on: Thursday, December 5, 2019, 17:23:08 »

Though that's not really the point of this. The Dems can do the sums just as well as you. The calculation is that by dominating the news cycle with all this dirt over several weeks, forcing the Republicans to contort themselves into such desperate defences of the indefensible, they expose the GOP's credibility gap to enough of the electorate before the next election. That's where Pelosi was clever to hold off on the repeated calls to impeach before now.

I have American friends on social media.

From what I can gather, a lot of Republicans are likely to be going into self-defense mode and possibly turning on Trump. I can't remember the reasoning for it now (I wasn't paying that much attention), but it made sense to me at the time I was reading it.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #8429 on: Thursday, December 5, 2019, 17:27:08 »

Was sent to Nantes today, to cover the "Tear gas" story. It's a really lovely place but all I could keep thinking about was Prince Andrew.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Pages: 1 ... 559 560 561 [562] 563 564 565 ... 881   Go Up
Print
Jump to: