Pages: 1 ... 530 531 532 [533] 534 535 536 ... 881   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 2016171 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #7980 on: Monday, November 18, 2019, 10:27:01 »

LIBRARY?! THAT'S FUCKING BOOK COMMUNISM 

This article tells you what the local Tories think of libraries...

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2016/feb/09/swindons-libraries-closures-60-per-cent-cuts
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #7981 on: Monday, November 18, 2019, 12:14:06 »

Well, it's one way of getting Johnson to keep control of his Johnson I suppose:
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #7982 on: Monday, November 18, 2019, 14:26:10 »

Is there a mechanism by which a Prince can resign?

https://www.standard.co.uk/comment/comment/prince-andrew-rohan-silva-language-a4289571.html
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #7983 on: Monday, November 18, 2019, 15:50:15 »

I think they can be struck from the civil list, but my evidence for that is Blackadder III, so it may not be the cunning plan I'd hoped it might be.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #7984 on: Monday, November 18, 2019, 15:51:48 »

You can say what you want about the bloke, he's a busy bugger!

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/nov/18/boris-johnson-jennifer-arcuri-investigation-to-review-affair-with-another-woman

Not sure how he can fit the time needed to be PM in with all his extra curricular activities.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #7985 on: Monday, November 18, 2019, 16:10:13 »

You can say what you want about the bloke, he's a busy bugger!

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/nov/18/boris-johnson-jennifer-arcuri-investigation-to-review-affair-with-another-woman

Not sure how he can fit the time needed to be PM in with all his extra curricular activities.
The same way he managed when he was mayor of London and Foreign Secretary - by not bothering to do the job properly. He's notoriously lazy.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #7986 on: Monday, November 18, 2019, 16:15:15 »

Just a reminder, because I'm sure Gove will want people to remember what he thinks of people pushed into poverty by his government's austerity policies:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2416737/Michael-Gove-food-banks-Poor-got-blame.html
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #7987 on: Monday, November 18, 2019, 16:23:25 »

Just a reminder, because I'm sure Gove will want people to remember what he thinks of people pushed into poverty by his government's austerity policies:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2416737/Michael-Gove-food-banks-Poor-got-blame.html

That was Gove 6 years ago.... the Tories have moved much further to the right since.... it'll be a return of the workhouse next for the undeserving poor.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #7988 on: Monday, November 18, 2019, 16:28:04 »

That was Gove 6 years ago.... the Tories have moved much further to the right since.... it'll be a return of the workhouse next for the undeserving poor.
Or just straight to Soylent Green?
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #7989 on: Monday, November 18, 2019, 16:30:11 »

Reg, totally unrelated but it is political, have you ever stood as a councillor elect?

I often wonder why more people don't, especially locally. When you look at results in many wards, to obtain a seat often only takes the convincing of around 750 - 1000 votes. I always see that as a pretty low benchmark but shows how with pretty minimal influence, one could become an elected member of the LA.

Should that be dangerously scary or very encouraging? For if someone is serious about their politics and views then this is an achievable scenario, no?

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #7990 on: Monday, November 18, 2019, 17:46:52 »

Reg, totally unrelated but it is political, have you ever stood as a councillor elect?

I often wonder why more people don't, especially locally. When you look at results in many wards, to obtain a seat often only takes the convincing of around 750 - 1000 votes. I always see that as a pretty low benchmark but shows how with pretty minimal influence, one could become an elected member of the LA.

Should that be dangerously scary or very encouraging? For if someone is serious about their politics and views then this is an achievable scenario, no?

For some years, I was involved in local politics, also Trade Unionism. My grandfather was a local councilor for 35 years, people used to say to me, that I should stand, but I knew it wasn't me. 

I'm particularly bad at meetings, committees etc, can live with the odd one or two every so often, but I've always preferred being an outsider, free to think what I want.

However, I did help to get elected several people who did want a crack at it which was interesting.

Having kids and work got in the way, and I reduced my effort to being a school governor for some years, then gave that up.
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #7991 on: Monday, November 18, 2019, 18:07:46 »

For some years, I was involved in local politics, also Trade Unionism. My grandfather was a local councilor for 35 years, people used to say to me, that I should stand, but I knew it wasn't me. 

I'm particularly bad at meetings, committees etc, can live with the odd one or two every so often, but I've always preferred being an outsider, free to think what I want.

However, I did help to get elected several people who did want a crack at it which was interesting.

Having kids and work got in the way, and I reduced my effort to being a school governor for some years, then gave that up.

Thanks for the insight. Back to my main question though, does it not seem like a very low number needed to gain a councillor seat?

If one maintains that edge of local popularity and is visible/approachable too then retaining the seat becomes fairly easy every four years. Not talking about gaining any control but just keeping a seat (most wards have around 3 seats up for grabs). It seems a very small target and not too much convincing of electorate to do so. For once - 3rd place can be quite an attractive proposition if politics is the bag of choice.

'Incessant Nonsense'

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #7992 on: Monday, November 18, 2019, 18:24:24 »

Thanks for the insight. Back to my main question though, does it not seem like a very low number needed to gain a councillor seat?

If one maintains that edge of local popularity and is visible/approachable too then retaining the seat becomes fairly easy every four years. Not talking about gaining any control but just keeping a seat (most wards have around 3 seats up for grabs). It seems a very small target and not too much convincing of electorate to do so. For once - 3rd place can be quite an attractive proposition if politics is the bag of choice.

Depending on wards, turnout is usually quite low, but also turnover of Councillors tends to be quite high.

Depending on the party calibre of candidate can vary, you get some who see it as a way of ending up as MP.... Tomlinson for example, some who do it for the expenses, and some who do it out of a sense of civic duty.

So if you find a nice safe ward, then yes you can be sat there with your feet up.... my ward used to be a 3 three way marginal which made it interesting.... part of our motivation was to try and oust the couple of sitting Tory councillors, which we achieved and they've never come back.

I did laugh though when we got rid of the Tory leader, he promptly got himself selected for a safe ward, by ousting the previous sitting councillor for selection to stand at the next rotation.
REDBUCK

« Reply #7993 on: Monday, November 18, 2019, 19:00:14 »

Depending on wards, turnout is usually quite low, but also turnover of Councillors tends to be quite high.

Depending on the party calibre of candidate can vary, you get some who see it as a way of ending up as MP.... Tomlinson for example, some who do it for the expenses, and some who do it out of a sense of civic duty.

So if you find a nice safe ward, then yes you can be sat there with your feet up.... my ward used to be a 3 three way marginal which made it interesting.... part of our motivation was to try and oust the couple of sitting Tory councillors, which we achieved and they've never come back.

I did laugh though when we got rid of the Tory leader, he promptly got himself selected for a safe ward, by ousting the previous sitting councillor for selection to stand at the next rotation.

So did you get anything done or just spend the time claiming expenses and playing party politics :-)
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #7994 on: Monday, November 18, 2019, 19:10:16 »

Yes turnouts are lowish at around 35% of roughly 6-7k
electorate on average per ward. The high Councillor turnover I'd say is more down to the system of 1/3rds.

In some ways in reference to "feet up", I probably mean the number of Independents who have obtained a non controlling seat recently. I would say it could be a common picture for the foreseeable. 650+ seats gained if memory searches back to earlier this year, took it to above 1k. For Indys to hold a 1/10th of seats across the wards nationally is pretty impressive. With public disillusion in politics, comes opportunity.

I imagine the politics within local politics can be very interesting/frustrating/revealing for those involved "properly".

'Incessant Nonsense'

Pages: 1 ... 530 531 532 [533] 534 535 536 ... 881   Go Up
Print
Jump to: