Pages: 1 ... 528 529 530 [531] 532 533 534 ... 880   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 1996382 times)
Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #7950 on: Saturday, November 16, 2019, 14:53:00 »

I have fiber.

Depending on the time of day, I can download a movie in 10-15 minutes.

Is that service provided by the state or a private company?

Genuine question, I know you live somewhere in the far east but no idea where.  Presumably not Hong Kong!
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #7951 on: Saturday, November 16, 2019, 15:13:07 »

He's in Bangkok.
Flashheart

« Reply #7952 on: Saturday, November 16, 2019, 15:50:35 »

Bangkok.

And it's a private company. There's 2 that both offer a good service. Social media use in Thailand is among the highest on the planet.
Flashheart

« Reply #7953 on: Saturday, November 16, 2019, 16:02:35 »

Oh, wait.

I just checked and I'm wrong. My connection is state-owned, but there is also a very good private provider.
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #7954 on: Saturday, November 16, 2019, 20:43:15 »

I have fiber.

Depending on the time of day, I can download a movie in 10-15 minutes.

Is that a euphemism for a huge dump?

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
Mister Lorenzo
Dirk Diggler

Ignore
« Reply #7955 on: Sunday, November 17, 2019, 00:16:44 »

That's pretty much the situation we have now. I would happily pay for fibre to the door but no-one is willing to install it (I've asked). I had BT's "superfast" (or whatever they call it) fibre to the cabinet and it was shit, like ADSL 2Mb shit, because the cabinet was miles away and openreach wouldn't install a cabinet nearer or upgrade the wiring between our road and the cab. The myth that the private sector is always more efficient and effective is just that, a myth. It might be for the 80% of low-hanging fruit, where it's easy, but they're just not interested for the other 20%.

Good morning, is that the British Nationalised Broadband Service? I was just calling to check when my free broadband was being supplied?

Hello sir and thank you for calling. Just checking.....next date free is March 24th, 2034, in the morning. is that good for you?

Errr..can you do the afternoon, I've got the British Nationalised Gas Board here that morning to investigate the leak I reported 18 months ago.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #7956 on: Sunday, November 17, 2019, 00:26:09 »

Here he is..it's "Late Night Lorenzo" with his bag full of bumbling bullshit. Always easier to criticise under the cover of darkness. Tell ya what fella, do yourself a favour and leave the bullshit to me. I know your intentions are pure and designed to take any aggro I receive away and it is appreciated but really - it is what it is dude.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
flammableBen

Ignore
« Reply #7957 on: Sunday, November 17, 2019, 03:23:33 »

I think the labour party is missing a trick. Nationalise the 5g network at the same time. The old bt cables are worthless anyway.
StfcRusty

Ignore
« Reply #7958 on: Sunday, November 17, 2019, 07:50:33 »

On another note, I think we should get a poll going - what will Labour promise next from their never ending money tree? I’m hoping for a trip to the moon...

Yet no questioning on how the Tories are going to pay for:

£100bn investment over five years on road, rail and other infrastructure
20,000 more police officers over the next three years in England and Wales
£2.7bn for six new hospitals and plans for 34 more
£7.1bn a year more for schools in England by 2022-23
Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #7959 on: Sunday, November 17, 2019, 10:01:48 »

Free broadband seems just plain wrong to me.  I pay for my broadband and can afford to.  There are so many better things for the public purse to be spending it's finite resources on than giving me free broadband. 

By contrast the announcement today that Labour will re-introduce universal free dental check-ups is precisely the sort of thing that a decent society should be providing for its citizens.  This is such a worthwhile preventative step but the obvious reality is that few people relish a trip to the dentist and having to pay for a check-up provides the perfect excuse to let it slip. This won't get everyone to go for a regular check but it will certainly help.

It would be great if the Tories followed suit but I won't hold my breath.  Presumably they were the ones to take it away in the first place.  Or possibly Blair.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #7960 on: Sunday, November 17, 2019, 11:23:28 »

It would be great if the Tories followed suit but I won't hold my breath. 

If you don't visit your dentist regularly then it might be a good idea, if you do.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #7961 on: Sunday, November 17, 2019, 12:20:06 »

I’d argue in this day and age that access to the internet should be treated as a public necessity in the same way as gas, electricity and water is.

Things get better but they never get good
ibelieveinmrreeves
Should've gone to Specsavers

Ignore
« Reply #7962 on: Sunday, November 17, 2019, 12:25:29 »

I’d argue in this day and age that access to the internet should be treated as a public necessity in the same way as gas, electricity and water is.

And from an education perspective, with the amount of kids living in poverty and identified as Pupil Premium who don’t have support with learning at home from parents or easy access to the internet (even if they have a mobile device) this would be a game changer.

Even men with steel hearts love to see a dog on the pitch.
Richie Wellen-Dowd

« Reply #7963 on: Sunday, November 17, 2019, 12:40:05 »

Also, the effect on the economy of improved speeds would be absolutely massive. Our productivity as a nation is shamefully low.
« Last Edit: Sunday, November 17, 2019, 12:45:02 by Richie Wellen-Dowd » Logged
REDBUCK

« Reply #7964 on: Sunday, November 17, 2019, 12:40:37 »

And from an education perspective, with the amount of kids living in poverty and identified as Pupil Premium who don’t have support with learning at home from parents or easy access to the internet (even if they have a mobile device) this would be a game changer.

I agree but how do you make sure that children in those homes actually get access. Do you provide the necessary equipment for free in the home or do you provide areas in schools
Pages: 1 ... 528 529 530 [531] 532 533 534 ... 880   Go Up
Print
Jump to: