Pages: 1 ... 520 521 522 [523] 524 525 526 ... 881   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 2014344 times)

Ignore
« Reply #7830 on: Wednesday, November 13, 2019, 12:04:56 »

Like I said yesterday.

Don't underestimate Boris' ability to right royally fuck things up for the Tories.

He's already done more than enough I would say. Not working at the moment though. People are selfish, uncaring and stupid.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #7831 on: Wednesday, November 13, 2019, 12:13:41 »

Did Boris call Corbyn a Wanker? Can’t say I’ve ever heard that term before.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #7832 on: Wednesday, November 13, 2019, 12:17:03 »

Beggars belief that against this backdrop, the slogan 'Getting Brexit Done' is still considered a vote winner in this country.

'Berlin Rocks' says Elon Musk as he Chooses European Factory

Particularly resonant in Swindon, a town whose automotive industry is being decimated.

We're being left behind.  It's happening already.  'Brexit Dividend' in action.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #7833 on: Wednesday, November 13, 2019, 12:27:23 »

The whole voting Tory just to get Brexit done is absolutely bonkers.

I'm a floating voter, always have been as I've never really felt a particular allegiance to any one party in particular. I'm probably more on the right of centre, in the past I've voted for all three of the main parties at particular times. I've gotten more 'tactical' in the two most recent elections.

The reason I point this out is because there's absolutely no chance in hell that I'm prepared to vote Tory just to 'get Brexit done'. They've had three years to get it done and have categorically proven they can't. Buckland is just as complicit as the rest of the party.

Based on policy, I should probably vote Lib Dem or Green, but that's a pretty worthless vote in Swindon South.

So I'm voting Labour. As useless as Corbyn is, it's the only realistic chance of my vote meaning anything and spurring change. Plus Sarah Church actually seems like a decent person.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #7834 on: Wednesday, November 13, 2019, 12:55:26 »

Graun has a great interview with Peter Reid today. It's an interesting read anyway, but especially enjoyed the bit where he called Boris Johnson a "fat lying twat and a disgrace" and recalls Johnson's response "Cowardly, he shit himself". Always had respect for Ol Monkey Heed but he has gone up further in my estimation

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/nov/09/peter-reid-boris-johnson-everton-howard-kendall-interview
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #7835 on: Wednesday, November 13, 2019, 12:56:48 »

In exactly the same position Sam. But I'm Swindon North. No idea who Kate Linnegar is either.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #7836 on: Wednesday, November 13, 2019, 13:06:03 »

Against a background of 10 years of
  • swingeing austerity cuts to the NHS, the police and public services,
  • the entirely internally-confected issue of Brexit,
  • a £1B loyalty bribe to the DUP,
  • huge overspends with no end in sight on CrossRail and HS2,
  • the shelving of the Northern powerhouse,
  • an immigration policy that permitted the criminal Windrush scandal,
  • a 20% drop in the value of sterling,
  • and the now real prospect of the dissolution of the Union,

the fact that Britain has returned Tory-led governments three times since 2010 tells you the public's default position.

Over this period Britain has become more fundamentally conservative, increasingly favouring introspection and retrenchment over the risk of progressive change. It's the "mustn't grumble", "keep your head down", "look after number one" society.

That's what an opposition is up against.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Flashheart

« Reply #7837 on: Wednesday, November 13, 2019, 13:26:58 »

That, and Corbyn's a traitor, commie, terrorist sympathiser. (Or so many would have you believe).
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #7838 on: Wednesday, November 13, 2019, 13:30:24 »

Against a background of 10 years of
  • swingeing austerity cuts to the NHS, the police and public services,
  • the entirely internally-confected issue of Brexit,
  • a £1B loyalty bribe to the DUP,
  • huge overspends with no end in sight on CrossRail and HS2,
  • the shelving of the Northern powerhouse,
  • an immigration policy that permitted the criminal Windrush scandal,
  • a 20% drop in the value of sterling,
  • and the now real prospect of the dissolution of the Union,

the fact that Britain has returned Tory-led governments three times since 2010 tells you the public's default position.

Over this period Britain has become more fundamentally conservative, increasingly favouring introspection and retrenchment over the risk of progressive change. It's the "mustn't grumble", "keep your head down", "look after number one" society.

That's what an opposition is up against.

I think the thing is that however much Labour loyalists like to make much of them being the party of the working man, for many working class people that is a nonsense these days and they choose to vote Tory, on that basis Labour loyalists are living as much in a past as the right wing colonialists harking back to Great Britain.

A rough straw poll of my social media theme, much as with Brexit sits to split fairly strongly on 'left home and the area, work in white collar' Not Tory and Remain v. 'Never left the town/village bought up in, have what would loosely have been called blue collar job', unswerving Tory and Brexit. Now I would imagine that 50 years back that would potentially be the polar opposite of the case.

sir windon

Ignore
« Reply #7839 on: Wednesday, November 13, 2019, 13:56:50 »

The below quote from Conservative campaigners in formerly safe Tory constituencies is interesting.
“If you knock on a door and they have books on their shelves, you can be pretty sure these days they’re not voting Tory.”
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #7840 on: Wednesday, November 13, 2019, 14:25:00 »

The below quote from Conservative campaigners in formerly safe Tory constituencies is interesting.
“If you knock on a door and they have books on their shelves, you can be pretty sure these days they’re not voting Tory.”

This is not me being a sniffy twat, what is the source for that just out of interest?
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #7841 on: Wednesday, November 13, 2019, 14:35:21 »

If you read books, you're a de facto member of the 'metropolitan elite' (even if you live nowhere near a metropolis).  You may even know an expert or two.  (Experts in anything are also not to be trusted.)  Ignorance is highly-prized by modern Conservatives.  It keeps them in office.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #7842 on: Wednesday, November 13, 2019, 14:42:14 »

The whole voting Tory just to get Brexit done is absolutely bonkers.

I'm a floating voter, always have been as I've never really felt a particular allegiance to any one party in particular. I'm probably more on the right of centre, in the past I've voted for all three of the main parties at particular times. I've gotten more 'tactical' in the two most recent elections.

The reason I point this out is because there's absolutely no chance in hell that I'm prepared to vote Tory just to 'get Brexit done'. They've had three years to get it done and have categorically proven they can't. Buckland is just as complicit as the rest of the party.

Based on policy, I should probably vote Lib Dem or Green, but that's a pretty worthless vote in Swindon South.

So I'm voting Labour. As useless as Corbyn is, it's the only realistic chance of my vote meaning anything and spurring change. Plus Sarah Church actually seems like a decent person.

This pretty much sums me up too

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
sir windon

Ignore
« Reply #7843 on: Wednesday, November 13, 2019, 14:47:08 »

I heard the quote on Radio 4 recently ('PM' programme I think) attributed to conservatives campaigning in pro remain marginals but when I googled it I found it attributed to a "Tory minister" in an article in The Sun newspaper during the last election. Just thought it was an interesting angle on the debate about perceptions over 'shifting party loyalties', if such a this actually exists to any particular degree, anymore.
sir windon

Ignore
« Reply #7844 on: Wednesday, November 13, 2019, 14:50:09 »

I heard the quote on Radio 4 recently ('PM' programme I think) attributed to conservatives campaigning in pro remain marginals but when I googled it I found it attributed to a "Tory minister" in an article in The Sun newspaper during the last election. Just thought it was an interesting angle on the debate about perceptions over 'shifting party loyalties', if such a this actually exists to any particular degree, anymore.

Admittedly it doesn't take into account the impact on shelving of those new fangled Kindles that all you young people are using these days!
Pages: 1 ... 520 521 522 [523] 524 525 526 ... 881   Go Up
Print
Jump to: