Pages: 1 ... 513 514 515 [516] 517 518 519 ... 881   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 2011973 times)
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #7725 on: Thursday, November 7, 2019, 10:50:50 »

Looks like the tories are going on a full-out assault of Corbyn's character. Was to be expected, but they seem to be taking it to another level.

And from what I can tell from social media so far  - it is not working. It may even be backfiring.
Can't see why it would backfire,   IF what is written is correct (IF),  Then Jeremy Cornflake is a total knobhead. He tried to hoodwink students into voting for him in the last election by telling them he would write off their fees/debts,  it was later proved he would never have been able to as the funds were not available,  so how the hell is he going to finance all the promises he is making this time around ?. Bloke lives on another planet. If he gets control of this country it's time to get on a plane and join the rest of the forum exiles.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
Flashheart

« Reply #7726 on: Thursday, November 7, 2019, 11:04:36 »

Can't see why it would backfire,   IF what is written is correct (IF),

What about a tory minister comparing Corbyn to Stalin and implying that people will be dragged out and shot should he become PM? Or Hunt trying to claim that other nations don't want to deal with Corbyn because he is considered to be a dangerous extremist?

I'm sure some will fall for the latter especially but, still, it's quite obviously bullshit and a lot of people (not all) will know that they are being lied to. That often does not go down well. It also makes it look as though they have nothing else. Why focus on attacking Corbyn if their own policies are sound? Just a couple of ideas off the top of my head, I'm sure there'll be a myriad more that I haven't thought of.

Also, you do know that Corbyn is not the only alternative, right? People can vote for other candidates, or none of them, if they so wish.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #7727 on: Thursday, November 7, 2019, 11:09:21 »

Whilst the aims of the Chartists were laudable in many ways, their ability to fall out with one another and not achieve a great deal despite apparent wide ranging support would rival the present Labour party.

These things are never easy... personally I've always been inspired by the sacrifices of our forebears, when it comes to improving the lot of the working class.

There is a long history in Britain of radical dissent, often doomed to glorious failure, however without it nothing would have ever changed since the Norman Conquest.
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #7728 on: Thursday, November 7, 2019, 11:11:36 »

What about a tory minister comparing Corbyn to Stalin and implying that people will be dragged out and shot should he become PM? Or Hunt trying to claim that other nations don't want to deal with Corbyn because he is considered to be a dangerous extremist?

I'm sure some will fall for the latter especially but, still, it's quite obviously bullshit and a lot of people (not all) will know that they are being lied to. That often does not go down well. It also makes it look as though they have nothing else. Why focus on attacking Corbyn if their own policies are sound? Just a couple of ideas off the top of my head, I'm sure there'll be a myriad more that I haven't thought of.

Also, you do know that Corbyn is not the only alternative, right? People can vote for other candidates, or none of them, if they so wish.
Think the Stalin comment is a little bit over the top but as regards 'extremist' there appears there is evidence of this with the confirmed meetings he had with terrorist groups.  The nation will decide FH.

pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #7729 on: Thursday, November 7, 2019, 11:11:50 »

Can't see why it would backfire,   IF what is written is correct (IF),  Then Jeremy Cornflake is a total knobhead. He tried to hoodwink students into voting for him in the last election by telling them he would write off their fees/debts,  it was later proved he would never have been able to as the funds were not available,  so how the hell is he going to finance all the promises he is making this time around ?.
The same way the Tories are going to fund their largely similar spending promises - borrowing. It can't be fiscal suicide for Labour to do it, but sensible investment in the nation for the Tories. If anything, the Tories have stolen Labour's clothes on public spending, promising massive investments in public services and infrastructure, but they're trying to have their cake and eat it by attacking Labour for having similar spending plans. It's just bollocks
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #7730 on: Thursday, November 7, 2019, 11:15:23 »

The same way the Tories are going to fund their largely similar spending promises - borrowing. It can't be fiscal suicide for Labour to do it, but sensible investment in the nation for the Tories. If anything, the Tories have stolen Labour's clothes on public spending, promising massive investments in public services and infrastructure, but they're trying to have their cake and eat it by attacking Labour for having similar spending plans. It's just bollocks
It's really all bollocks,  unless you're a politician earning thousands of pounds a week.

Flashheart

« Reply #7731 on: Thursday, November 7, 2019, 11:16:07 »

Think the Stalin comment is a little bit over the top

A 'little bit' over the top?

there appears there is evidence of this with the confirmed meetings he had with terrorist groups.

Yes.

Confirmed meetings with terrorist groups with which he was part of the peace process. Meetings that he also made no effort to hide.

I won't bother trying to change your mind. If that's what you believe then it's probably entrenched by now. Many others can see through the press' smears.

And you STILL seem to be overlooking/ignoring that Corbyn is not the only alternative.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #7732 on: Thursday, November 7, 2019, 11:33:15 »

It's really all bollocks,  unless you're a politician earning thousands of pounds a week.
Well yes. So you're happy to accept then that there's actually little difference between Labour and the Tories' spending plans and that you don't need to leave the country as a result?
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #7733 on: Thursday, November 7, 2019, 11:39:03 »

Well yes. So you're happy to accept then that there's actually little difference between Labour and the Tories' spending plans and that you don't need to leave the country as a result?
In reality,  to the working man theres probably very little between all of them but we have to vote for someone and if we didn't there really would be no point in elections.   We all have our own reasons in voting for who we do, that's the whole idea of it.  We don't necessarily agree with each other,  this is the whole point of it.

horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #7734 on: Thursday, November 7, 2019, 11:45:46 »

In reality,  to the working man theres probably very little between all of them

If you can point me to the bit where Corbyn is planning to erode the employment rights of the 'working man' that would be helpful?
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #7735 on: Thursday, November 7, 2019, 11:50:00 »

The truth eh....

pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #7736 on: Thursday, November 7, 2019, 11:52:51 »

In reality,  to the working man theres probably very little between all of them but we have to vote for someone and if we didn't there really would be no point in elections.   We all have our own reasons in voting for who we do, that's the whole idea of it.  We don't necessarily agree with each other,  this is the whole point of it.
Yes of course. But it works a lot better if we decide that based on facts rather than false claims. You started out by repeating the false spin the Tories are putting on Labour's spending plans vs their own. So just wanted to check if you now accept that that is indeed crap, then you're in a better position to make your own mind up. Which you may of course still decide to vote Tory, which is your prerogative, but please do so based on facts not lies.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #7737 on: Thursday, November 7, 2019, 12:01:44 »

If you can point me to the bit where Corbyn is planning to erode the employment rights of the 'working man' that would be helpful?

It was my eldest's birthday t'other day and I was musing about paternity leave. There was none, however my boss did have a discretionary day off to grant, and did so, then back to work. When the second came along he refused a repeat.

Paternity leave was introduced by Labour in 2002 and is the sort of thing Tories will look to abolish.  I believe thay don't have it in the US, perhaps Rob could confirm or not?
REDBUCK

« Reply #7738 on: Thursday, November 7, 2019, 12:32:46 »

Paternity leave was introduced by Labour in 2002 and is the sort of thing Tories will look to abolish.  I believe thay don't have it in the US, perhaps Rob could confirm or not?

Is this a fact or just your opinion

RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #7739 on: Thursday, November 7, 2019, 12:58:17 »

No such thing as Paternity Leave here, you get Family Medical Leave of Absence, which generally speaking goes unpaid or requires you to dip into stored up leave, depending on the company.  It's rare for people to take more than 3 months for Maternity leave.  Very different culture in respect to leave allowances - fortunately some industries have decent enough basic allowances, so I;ve done OK being able to transfer my length of service as well.
Pages: 1 ... 513 514 515 [516] 517 518 519 ... 881   Go Up
Print
Jump to: