Pages: 1 ... 512 513 514 [515] 516 517 518 ... 881   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 2008530 times)
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #7710 on: Wednesday, November 6, 2019, 20:01:04 »

I see Tom Watson, Labour’s Deputy Leader, is stepping down as an MP.

The purges continue.
Flashheart

« Reply #7711 on: Thursday, November 7, 2019, 09:12:15 »

Looks like the tories are going on a full-out assault of Corbyn's character. Was to be expected, but they seem to be taking it to another level.

And from what I can tell from social media so far  - it is not working. It may even be backfiring.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #7712 on: Thursday, November 7, 2019, 09:18:03 »

Looks like the tories are going on a full-out assault of Corbyn's character. Was to be expected, but they seem to be taking it to another level.

And from what I can tell from social media so far  - it is not working. It may even be backfiring.
Difficult to judge these things from your own social media feeds as both Twitter and FB's algorithms are so finely tuned to producing echo chambers. That's anyone btw, not just you
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #7713 on: Thursday, November 7, 2019, 09:20:14 »

Nadhim Zahawi car crash with Andrew Neil last night....

https://twitter.com/Haggis_UK/status/1192163737093980161

https://twitter.com/Trickyjabs/status/1192191461711736832

horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #7714 on: Thursday, November 7, 2019, 09:22:30 »

And from what I can tell from social media so far  - it is not working. It may even be backfiring.

Wot The Scouser said above, however, this most worry the Tories in the normally loyal Times

pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #7715 on: Thursday, November 7, 2019, 09:28:33 »

Wot The Scouser said above, however, this most worry the Tories in the normally loyal Times
Nah, Dom says they don't need to worry about print media any more or broadcast news, it's all about the socials innit? Trebles all round and sling a load more of those dark roubles to Cambridge Analytica!
Flashheart

« Reply #7716 on: Thursday, November 7, 2019, 09:45:08 »

I know how social media works.

I literally write articles on it for marketers and what not. It's part of my bleedin' job.

But thanks for the heads up!
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #7717 on: Thursday, November 7, 2019, 09:51:43 »

I know how social media works.

I literally write articles on it for marketers and what not. It's part of my bleedin' job.

But thanks for the heads up!
Yeah, sorry, didn't think of that. Wasn't intended to be patronising, more musing aloud really. My apologies
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #7718 on: Thursday, November 7, 2019, 10:05:50 »

Recently in Swindon we had a consultation about the current set up for SBC local elections..... as things stand, a third of councillors are up for re-election etc every 3 years, but a 4 year cycle sees a fallow year.

The consultation wants a change to the whole council every 4 years and 3 fallow years, between.

Apparently the response was quite a low % of the already low % who vote in locals, but a majority for change.

Interestingly, at the time of consultation there was no real mention of a party political element.

I voted to keep the status quo on the basis that it's good to have the opportunity to review SBC annually, and cast a vote accordingly. Further the number voting in locals is quite small moving to a 4 year cycle would mean people would lose the habit.

It now seems the Tories Lib/Dems want the change Labour don't.  The Tories and their Lib Dem chums claim it would save money, and make it easier them.... Labour in my opinion quite rightly wee it as a issue of democracy and accountability.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #7719 on: Thursday, November 7, 2019, 10:09:47 »

Interestingly, at the time of consultation there was no real mention of a party political element.

It now seems the Tories Lib/Dems want the change Labour don't.  The Tories and their Lib Dem chums claim it would save money, and make it easier them.... Labour in my opinion quite rightly wee it as a issue of democracy and accountability.
Sauce? Not doubting you, I'm sure it's true, but not seen that (the party political bit, not the consultation itself)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #7720 on: Thursday, November 7, 2019, 10:15:27 »

Sauce? Not doubting you, I'm sure it's true, but not seen that (the party political bit, not the consultation itself)

https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/18020442.swindon-people-favour-four-year-borough-council-election-cycle/
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #7721 on: Thursday, November 7, 2019, 10:20:19 »

Cheers. Can see both sides of the argument tbh.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #7722 on: Thursday, November 7, 2019, 10:33:34 »

Cheers. Can see both sides of the argument tbh.

The Chartists campaigned amongst other things for annual elections for Parliament, now although atm we more or less get that, I don't think many people would now see it as desirable. However locals are a different thing and here I'd say it works, keeps grassroots politics just about alive and kicking.

horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #7723 on: Thursday, November 7, 2019, 10:37:57 »

Nah, Dom says they don't need to worry about print media any more or broadcast news, it's all about the socials innit? Trebles all round and sling a load more of those dark roubles to Cambridge Analytica!

horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #7724 on: Thursday, November 7, 2019, 10:47:27 »

The Chartists campaigned amongst other things for annual elections for Parliament, now although atm we more or less get that, I don't think many people would now see it as desirable. However locals are a different thing and here I'd say it works, keeps grassroots politics just about alive and kicking.

Whilst the aims of the Chartists were laudable in many ways, their ability to fall out with one another and not achieve a great deal despite apparent wide ranging support would rival the present Labour party.
Pages: 1 ... 512 513 514 [515] 516 517 518 ... 881   Go Up
Print
Jump to: