Pages: 1 ... 494 495 496 [497] 498 499 500 ... 881   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 2014887 times)
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #7440 on: Sunday, October 27, 2019, 11:59:47 »

since 2017 Corbyn has fluffed it in the eyes of many.

Like it or not his brexit inaction in the face of a terrible government, combined with the hatchet job the Tories have done on him regarding anti semitism have hit home.

And yet I may still vote tactically for him if a second confirmatory referendum is on the offering.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #7441 on: Sunday, October 27, 2019, 12:32:41 »

Bet they keep Diane Abbott away from the limelight after her gaffs.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #7442 on: Sunday, October 27, 2019, 12:36:05 »

since 2017 Corbyn has fluffed it in the eyes of many.

Like it or not his brexit inaction in the face of a terrible government, combined with the hatchet job the Tories have done on him regarding anti semitism have hit home.

And yet I may still vote tactically for him if a second confirmatory referendum is on the offering.

It's worth remembering in our system you vote for a party, and its policies, you can then elect the local candidate.

In 2017 nobody voted for Johnson, but rather the Tory Party led by May, when they decided she was no longer required as leader, we still got the Tory Party and its policies.  If our democracy was a US style presidential system, admitedly what some people think we have, then May would still be in place.

I've pointed out before in my lifetime prior to Johson Ive seen 13 PM's of those 5 have been removed by the electorate 8 by their party.

If JC did win the next election I wouldn't expect him to last long as leader before passing on the baton....
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #7443 on: Sunday, October 27, 2019, 13:10:01 »

Bet they keep Diane Abbott away from the limelight after her gaffs.

Mysteriously be ill or have family issues to attend to.
mystical_goat

Ignore
« Reply #7444 on: Monday, October 28, 2019, 08:58:11 »

To win an election, Labour don't necessarily need to water down their thinking, they just need to recognise he is their biggest liability and get rid of him.

Who do you propose as possible replacements?
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #7445 on: Monday, October 28, 2019, 09:03:38 »

Who do you propose as possible replacements?
I'm not that familiar with the possible cast tbh. I'm fairly sure any name I throw out will be met with a "Ah but he/she has done X or didn't do Y". And I don't see that I have to suggest a replacement. Corbyn is a liability who will prevent Labour from being elected, it's up to Labour to come up with a credible alternative if they want to get elected. Or they can keep preaching to an ever dwindling choir while maintaining a level of vitriol to the unpure outsiders that will continue to see their base shrink. Don't get me wrong, I want Labour to do well, or indeed anyone who can unseat Johnson's unhinged government. But I don't think Corbyn is the man for the job and the blinkered "If you don't buy into the Jezza cult, you're a backsliding running dog rightist" attitude of some of his supporters is a massive problem for Labour if they want to be more than a niche protest faction.

EDIT: And if the response is to be that he is the best candidate for the job, then if Labour is so bereft of talent that Corbyn is the best they can offer, they certainly aren't fit for government. And the same, obviously, applies to the Tories and Johnson's govt of despicable nomarks.
« Last Edit: Monday, October 28, 2019, 10:03:42 by pauld » Logged
Flashheart

« Reply #7446 on: Monday, October 28, 2019, 09:37:46 »

Extension granted.

horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #7447 on: Monday, October 28, 2019, 09:38:13 »

I’ll stick this here. Anywhere is enough to make you feel sick to your stomach.

39 Bulgarians found dead in the back of a lorry in Essex

Jesus Christ

Horrible isn't it, I suppose linking it back to the theme of the thread it will b considerably less likely to happen after Brexit which is a small mercy?
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #7448 on: Monday, October 28, 2019, 09:43:34 »

This may surprise you but there are lots of people in this country who oppose austerity but think Corbyn is weak and incompetent. Labour will need to win those people over if they are to have any hope of winning an election. I wonder whether sneering at them as "paying lip service to opposing austerity" is the best way to do that?

Labour never learned from the mistake that Milliband made and Corbyn and the cultists have just blindly built upon. You never win elections based upon the faithful, you win based upon the floating voter, Labour supporters can lather themselves into a frenzy over their 500k membership, based on 2017 results that's on a par with what the Greens and UKIP polled, its gonna get them nowhere.

The fact that the cultists are going after the LD's again is always a good sign that they are beginning to get squeaky bums, but it won't be the anointed ones fault OK you heretic!!
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #7449 on: Monday, October 28, 2019, 09:46:20 »

We had an election in 2017 for a fixed five year term.  We knew what we were voting for.  Honour the general election result.  No GE until 2022.

If anything as the referendum was earlier, we should have another one of those first...

That's the thing, we actually voted in a Tory government in 2015 based upon the FTPA for a term of 5 years so an election would have been due next year.

However since then we have had one election as the Tories thought they could strengthen their position, and now are planning another one because the Tories have lost their majority through their own incompetence and don't like the composition of parliament!

But remember democracy doesn't allow the public to change its mind.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #7450 on: Monday, October 28, 2019, 09:52:07 »

Extension granted.

It's just been brought to my attention
That Johnson has got an extension.
Which means that the snitch
Has to die in a ditch.
Or was there a miscomprehension?
-Attila The Stockbroker

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #7451 on: Monday, October 28, 2019, 09:56:50 »

#ditchMeansDitch
mystical_goat

Ignore
« Reply #7452 on: Monday, October 28, 2019, 11:09:33 »

I'm not that familiar with the possible cast tbh. I'm fairly sure any name I throw out will be met with a "Ah but he/she has done X or didn't do Y". And I don't see that I have to suggest a replacement. Corbyn is a liability who will prevent Labour from being elected, it's up to Labour to come up with a credible alternative if they want to get elected. Or they can keep preaching to an ever dwindling choir while maintaining a level of vitriol to the unpure outsiders that will continue to see their base shrink. Don't get me wrong, I want Labour to do well, or indeed anyone who can unseat Johnson's unhinged government. But I don't think Corbyn is the man for the job and the blinkered "If you don't buy into the Jezza cult, you're a backsliding running dog rightist" attitude of some of his supporters is a massive problem for Labour if they want to be more than a niche protest faction.

EDIT: And if the response is to be that he is the best candidate for the job, then if Labour is so bereft of talent that Corbyn is the best they can offer, they certainly aren't fit for government. And the same, obviously, applies to the Tories and Johnson's govt of despicable nomarks.

So get rid without regard for the replacement?
Flashheart

« Reply #7453 on: Monday, October 28, 2019, 11:13:36 »

The press will just lay into Corbyn's replacement as much as they have with Corbyn. A lot of the stuff on Corbyn is exaggerated or just plain false. They'll soon be able to fabricate some 'dirt' on his replacement.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #7454 on: Monday, October 28, 2019, 11:15:56 »

So get rid without regard for the replacement?
I didn't say that did I? This is half the problem. I'm someone who wants to vote against Johnson, I should be a willing customer for Labour. I've got something you want, my vote, but I have a problem with the Labour offer as it stands. I tell you what the problem is and instead of trying to solve it so I can vote for Labour, you come back and ask me what my alternative is? Fuck it, I've left the shop by that point. Do you want my vote or not?
Pages: 1 ... 494 495 496 [497] 498 499 500 ... 881   Go Up
Print
Jump to: